Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Asking to join a ride in progress?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Asking to join a ride in progress?

Old 08-19-19, 11:46 AM
SuperRecord

Bikes: Giant ARX2...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do this all the time. I ride alongside the 2nd from last all the way towards the lead and let each one know that the following riders all accepted me in the group. I"ve never had a problem. True.
Old 08-19-19, 11:57 AM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Never know if you don't ask. I know our group welcomes others as long as they have a helmet on. Its a rule for insurance reasons. We used to have a larger group it split when the helmet rule went into effect. One guy made a huge stink and he took half the group. You will know within a few miles if you can keep up or not, or if you peel off letting them go on ahead.
I know I have made more good friends bike riding, went camping this weekend with them. Lots of fun. Ask, all they can say is no.
Old 08-19-19, 01:04 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
op's question was should he ask "mind if i follow at a distance?" am i alone in thinking that's just going to create confusion as to whether he is or isn't joining the group? If all he's doing is following at a distance, chances are pretty good the group isn't even going to know he's there or, if they do, they would probably just assume he just happens to be going the same direction. Either way, it won't affect their ride in any way. If he wants to ride close with them he should ask, but otherwise, why would he need or want their permission?

+1
Old 08-19-19, 02:05 PM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
This might be an odd question, but would it be rude to ask to join a smaller group ride while they are already moving?

I'm more of a "lone wolf" cyclist, but I ride 15 miles daily and can do so in an hour, maybe even a couple minutes under. I've occasionally passed a group of riders going the opposite direction. They are definitely coordinated, wearing proper kit and all on road bikes. (I'm usually riding an older MTB with pavement friendly tread and t-shirt with skateboarder shorts and shoes... (I have finally gotten into the habit of always wearing gloves and helmet...))

Just wondering if shouting "Mind if I follow at a distance?" would be against road etiquette I guess... Would you find that rude or strange? I have a grasp of group hand signals and I wouldn't be doing it for drafting purposes -- Mainly just curious if I could keep up and hang with them.

...That and it would be really neat to find a local group to actually ride with.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably best is to flash some kind of Phony Badge as f you are a member of Law Enforcment or even ICE....yet say nothing, riding several yards behind the last rider. Before they stop for rest or drinks, make yourself scarce and let them wonder.
...adds excitement to usually boring Sunday ride!
Old 08-19-19, 02:29 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by julius rensch
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably best is to flash some kind of Phony Badge as f you are a member of Law Enforcment or even ICE....yet say nothing, riding several yards behind the last rider. Before they stop for rest or drinks, make yourself scarce and let them wonder.
...adds excitement to usually boring Sunday ride!
Or, better yet, wear dark sunglasses, stick an ear bud into your ear, and then pretend to talk into your lapel every so often.
Old 08-19-19, 02:49 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I think you can do it. 22 mph on flat ground in a group is like 16-18 mph solo
2nd this comment. I added a weekly group ride to my riding and it really is a different experience. I'm a 17-18mph solo average, but when in the center of a pack I've seen 22-25mph and the weird part is half the time I'm coasting. So lots less energy and faster speeds. It can get intense worrying about who is manoeuvring around you, but you get used to it.

Here is a group ride where I stayed with the alphas for the 1st 10 miles, then settled in with a smaller group. Notice a huge pace difference when I was with the larger group.

Last edited by kayakindude; 08-19-19 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-19-19, 03:11 PM
Teufelhunde

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Have we really become so sensitive as a society that merely asking to join in can be taken as some gross interference?
Yes, we have.....people get offended by anything nowadays.....it's sad......
Old 08-19-19, 03:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Marci
Never know if you don't ask. I know our group welcomes others as long as they have a helmet on. Its a rule for insurance reasons. We used to have a larger group it split when the helmet rule went into effect. One guy made a huge stink and he took half the group.
The often cited "insurance reason" for enforcing an arbitrary rule or prohibition often does smell stinky.

Who/what does your group's insurance policy actually cover on a group ride? Is it liability, medical coverage or something else?

Does it cover helmet wearing group members only, or does it also include others who join a ride as long as these non members wear a helmet?

What part of the insurance policy coverage for group members on a ride gets voided, if an unhelmeted rider is "welcomed" to tag along with the group?
Old 08-19-19, 04:20 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The often cited "insurance reason" for enforcing an arbitrary rule or prohibition often does smell stinky.

Who/what does your group's insurance policy actually cover on a group ride? Is it liability, medical coverage or something else?

Does it cover helmet wearing group members only, or does it also include others who join a ride as long as these non members wear a helmet?

What part of the insurance policy coverage for group members on a ride gets voided, if an unhelmeted rider is "welcomed" to tag along with the group?
Actually we meet up at a bike store and the store owner comes with us. His insurance company was going to refuse to insure the bike store if he continued the rides. Since he sells a few bikes and a lot of bike stuff to us riders it had to be. Most of us did wear helmets already so it didn't matter much. It was just the one person who refused. And the others that went with him thought like you, but there was no problem before the insurance company said it for those without helmets- no cover. Dam insurance companies have us all by the gonads. Us regulars even had to sign a release form. He even will allow you to borrow a helmet from him if you do not have one, and you can try out bikes this way too. It does result in a lot of sales, and making some really good friendships.
I have been riding with them probably 6 years now. Great exercise, we even went camping together this weekend. Meeting with some brave souls that rode bikes to the campgrounds. Being disabled I can't make the long trips, (this was about 30 miles with a big long hill or two) but met them there. We did a short ride the next day. Even took my dog who impressed everyone with trotting along side the bike. Though he is small enough to ride in the basket when too tired.
It is a VERY informal group, the only rule is helmets, well and if you are an unsafe rider you are asked to leave-we had an accident with a teen who thought it great idea to cut in front of others, he was asked not to come back.
Old 08-19-19, 04:58 PM
Tbobx

Location: Lakewood Ranch FL, Occassionally Woods Hole MA and East Marion NY

Bikes: Seven AxiomS Road, Colnago Master Saronni Del Tongo, Trek 1.5

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Feel free ... once

I ride with a club and the policy is that we welcome all riders to join us for a ride. But after that we ask you to become a club member and pay dues for two reasons. 1. We pay dues so why shouldn’t you? 2. Dues covers insurance in the event of a crash. Our insurance company allows guests one ride covered by the policy. After that you are not insured.

Welcome me to the club, we are glad to have you.
Old 08-19-19, 05:03 PM
myisland

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
This might be an odd question, but would it be rude to ask to join a smaller group ride while they are already moving?

I'm more of a "lone wolf" cyclist, but I ride 15 miles daily and can do so in an hour, maybe even a couple minutes under. I've occasionally passed a group of riders going the opposite direction. They are definitely coordinated, wearing proper kit and all on road bikes. (I'm usually riding an older MTB with pavement friendly tread and t-shirt with skateboarder shorts and shoes... (I have finally gotten into the habit of always wearing gloves and helmet...))

Just wondering if shouting "Mind if I follow at a distance?" would be against road etiquette I guess... Would you find that rude or strange? I have a grasp of group hand signals and I wouldn't be doing it for drafting purposes -- Mainly just curious if I could keep up and hang with them.

...That and it would be really neat to find a local group to actually ride with.
Ask the guy at the rear. That's how you get to know people. Forget all of the social media b#ll*****.