Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Friendly Reminder

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Friendly Reminder

Old 06-28-18, 02:46 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
What tires are you running?
Maxxis Raze most of the time, Mud Wrestlers in the slop. Somehow, I manage to get away with a huge discrepancy in F/R tire pressure. 22/32 (according to my pump, anyway) on race days .
Old 06-30-18, 09:41 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm sure you all are being extra good waiting for December and Santa Cross
Old 07-05-18, 07:28 AM
50voltphantom

Originally Posted by Rollfast
I'm sure you all are being extra good waiting for December and Santa Cross
If by that you mean September and Jingle Cross, then yes I am.
Old 07-06-18, 08:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm sure a jolly old man in a red coat has new tires for under your tree or something...
Old 08-09-18, 09:25 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Curious -- for those of you with easily-customizable computers (aka Wahoo) what numbers do you like to have on your screen?

I don't have a power meter so I'm thinking:

Elapsed Time
HR /Cadence
Speed

And that's it, can't really think of anything else I'd need to know for 45 minutes.
Old 08-09-18, 10:29 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Curious -- for those of you with easily-customizable computers (aka Wahoo) what numbers do you like to have on your screen?

I don't have a power meter so I'm thinking:

Elapsed Time
HR /Cadence
Speed

And that's it, can't really think of anything else I'd need to know for 45 minutes.
I tend to hide my HR, because I get a bit psyched out by it, I think it's always higher in a race due to adrenaline and such. Time is good, just to know how much suffering time is left lol I was intending on using my powertap wheel to use late last year and never got around to it, on the fence whether it'll actually be valuable this season or if I should just keep it set up for my road bike
Old 08-09-18, 10:37 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I tend to hide my HR, because I get a bit psyched out by it, I think it's always higher in a race due to adrenaline and such. Time is good, just to know how much suffering time is left lol I was intending on using my powertap wheel to use late last year and never got around to it, on the fence whether it'll actually be valuable this season or if I should just keep it set up for my road bike
Solid point. Might try w/o HR and see what happens.
Old 08-09-18, 01:01 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I don't include HR, not because it psyches me out, but rather because its just not useful in a cross race. HR gets pegged quickly and then the lag won't really give you any type of idea if you are recovering properly etc. Pretty funny to look at it after though
Old 08-11-18, 11:28 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Time... and even that you will be going by laps after 2 laps anyway so it doesnt really matter.. keep your eyes on the trail and ride harder lol if you can read your computer you could be pedaling
Old 06-13-19, 09:51 AM
50voltphantom

Hey. Cross Is Coming.
Old 06-27-19, 03:48 PM
tpower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Hey. Cross Is Coming.
My summer CX training plan starts next week.

...and I just built a new CX bike for the year. usually the bike isn't ready until week of. This feels weird...
Likes For tpower:
Old 07-05-19, 12:04 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
What tires are people running? I just ordered a set of Donnelly PDX. Then 2 minutes later realized they weren't tubeless. Oops. Though I still need to order a tubeless wheelset though too

Tentatively planning on running Vittoria Terreno Dry 40mm tires on dry dry days. That's the kinda hexagonal shaped file tread with side knobs.
Old 08-27-19, 03:11 PM
tpower

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
What tires are people running? I just ordered a set of Donnelly PDX. Then 2 minutes later realized they weren't tubeless. Oops. Though I still need to order a tubeless wheelset though too

Tentatively planning on running Vittoria Terreno Dry 40mm tires on dry dry days. That's the kinda hexagonal shaped file tread with side knobs.
Yeah IDK what to do in dry. I will probably just run my all around tires in the dry races, although I thought about running 38c Panaracer GK SK. I do have some Vittoria Terreno Dry but I don't really like the transition to the side knobs.

This year I'm running Panaracer Regacross until it gets super muddy. Tires are really supple, lightweight and can run pretty low pressure on them, passing finger burp test at 25psi. You can also find them for $30-35 apiece. I have the 33c but thought about getting the 35c for that little bit extra cushion/traction. Finally, they setup really easily, snap right into place and don't require sealant.

What it gets muddy so do my choices.
  • Donnelly BOS really good tire in mud but would need to purchase another set since my wife runs these now in mud.
  • Vittoria Cross XL, okish in my experience. Can also get them in 31mm so thats nice.
  • Also on radar Schwalbe X-one bite. A friend of mine had really good experience with those last year.
Old 08-28-19, 02:20 PM
redlude97

first official cross practice is here in seattle. #crossishere running clement MSO 36s tubeless until the first rain comes
Old 08-28-19, 05:32 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Donnolly BOS pretty much all the time. 4/5 tends to be early and the ground can be wet from dew or overnight rain so i just run them all the time.. they dig so nice when others are spinning.

first race this year is probably sunday in MA.. Looks pretty road friendly so it will be a good transition
Old 08-29-19, 08:52 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Ordered a set of tubeless PDX's. They seem to be the most popular tire by far in my area, even in dry races. If nothing else...I'l know it's an even rubber playing field, and I suck because of me, and not my tires.
Old 09-03-19, 11:42 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Ordered a set of tubeless PDX's. They seem to be the most popular tire by far in my area, even in dry races. If nothing else...I'l know it's an even rubber playing field, and I suck because of me, and not my tires.
I just got a new set of PDX tubulars a few weeks ago. I've only done one ride on them so far, but they seem good. The last few years I've used Challenge Baby Limus, which worked great for dry races but seemed to struggle a bit in mud/wet, plus I never really liked the "square" feeling of having larger tread blocks on the corners than in the center of the tire. The PDX feels more natural to me, and hopefully will work well in all conditions.
Old 09-04-19, 04:38 PM
redlude97

Curious to see how you all glued up your PDX tubulars, did you have base tape overhang past the rim bed? Mine did and it seems to be common based on the stock photos and race photos I've seen. Here are mine I glued up this past weekend

Stock photo for reference:

Wondering if any of you aquasealed the transition to keep water out or anything
Old 09-05-19, 10:17 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Mine look similar to that. I had a shop do them. I can see a tiny bit of glue around the edge of the rim and the shop told me I could pull it off as it dried. I can't see the base tape on the tire though, but maybe my rims are wider? My Challenge Baby Limus tires that I had previously on these wheels looked similar.

There's no aquaseal on mine and from what I've been told, no need to seal these tires. My understanding is that Aquaseal is used to protect the sidewalls of tubulars that use cotton casings, like Dugast or the Challenge Team Edition. (I think the Challenge Team's even come pre-sealed now) Since those tires use cotton casings, water can soak into the sidewalls and eventually cause the tires to rot. Donnely/Clement uses rubber coated sidewalls on the PDX, so water won't soak in. I've never heard of water getting into or affecting the glue job. I think once that stuff dries, it's probably not a factor.
Old 09-05-19, 01:33 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Mine look similar to that. I had a shop do them. I can see a tiny bit of glue around the edge of the rim and the shop told me I could pull it off as it dried. I can't see the base tape on the tire though, but maybe my rims are wider? My Challenge Baby Limus tires that I had previously on these wheels looked similar.

There's no aquaseal on mine and from what I've been told, no need to seal these tires. My understanding is that Aquaseal is used to protect the sidewalls of tubulars that use cotton casings, like Dugast or the Challenge Team Edition. (I think the Challenge Team's even come pre-sealed now) Since those tires use cotton casings, water can soak into the sidewalls and eventually cause the tires to rot. Donnely/Clement uses rubber coated sidewalls on the PDX, so water won't soak in. I've never heard of water getting into or affecting the glue job. I think once that stuff dries, it's probably not a factor.
my tubulars are 23mm wide but i know alot of newer ones are even wider. the sidewalls are rubber coated but the basetape is still cotton which was why I was thinking of aquasealing the edge but I guess the dried mastik will do the job of sealing them.
Old 09-07-19, 03:05 PM
kamesennin

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
How old is too old for a tubular glue-job?
Time will tell. I'm not about to reglue those 2-year old tubs.
Old 09-07-19, 03:07 PM
kamesennin

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
How's that bottom bracket feeling after last season?
Just replaced it. PF30 crap. I long for the day when all bottom brackets will be threaded again.
Likes For kamesennin:
Old 09-09-19, 12:37 PM
50voltphantom

Originally Posted by kamesennin
Just replaced it. PF30 crap. I long for the day when all bottom brackets will be threaded again.
Replacing mine tonight.
Old 09-09-19, 12:43 PM
tpower

Originally Posted by kamesennin
You could just ride a frame with a threaded BB...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1uFIuRh..._web_copy_link
Old 09-09-19, 12:58 PM
redlude97

My race bike is BB30 and I have no issues...I swap my bearings and use loctite 609 using cheap $3 industrial bearing and get usually half a season out of a set. Usually they don't fail from creaking but rather they get crunchy from water/washing. Was getting similar life out of threaded BBs and they were $20-30 a pop