Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Artistic Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Artistic Cycling

OK, I was made aware of this by a thread that is now closed, but I don't think the cycling equivalent of figure skating is a subject that should be taboo. I am interested to know if anyone on the forum knows much about artistic cycling, which is a fairly popular athletic competition in parts of Europe and Asia. The video in the linked article shows an amazing performance as does another one I linked below.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/artistic-cycling

These people are amazing athletes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-10-19, 11:23 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Pretty cool but I prefer bike soccer
Old 09-10-19, 11:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
Here it is in the correct FGFS forum https://www.bikeforums.net/fixed-gea...ng-anyone.html Enjoy
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-10-19, 11:59 AM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
OK, I was made aware of this by a thread that is now closed, but I don't think the cycling equivalent of figure skating is a subject that should be taboo. I am interested to know if anyone on the forum knows much about artistic cycling, which is a fairly popular athletic competition in parts of Europe and Asia. The video in the linked article shows an amazing performance as does another one I linked below.
I, too, would be really interested as well. I've learned that artistic cycling is a niche sport performed in Europe. It's quite the thing in Germany, Czech Republic, and Slovakia but nowhere else (except a small spot in China). Would be great if someone in Germany or other such place was here to comment. I've looked for German forums, but not knowing the language and having to use Google Translate is a huge barrier.

I'm turning my BMX into a bike that can do artistic cycling tricks. Yes, it's nowhere near a bike made specifically for the sport, but several tricks can be done on it. So far I can peddle backwards with no hands whilst sitting on my handlebars. I'm quite proud of that—took me a while to master.

I found that watching the juniors can be a great way to learn new novice tricks. Might get some mini pegs (where to buy?) to do be able to do the trick at 0:53. Also wanna learn how to bike surf:

Originally Posted by autonomy
Pretty cool but I prefer bike soccer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfTM1mMce40
That looks so awesome; it's as if the bike is an extension of their own body! I must admit that I haven't yet came around to watching an entire game, but I think I will after I post.
Likes For bedtime:
Old 09-10-19, 12:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Here it is in the correct FGFS forum https://www.bikeforums.net/fixed-gea...ng-anyone.html Enjoy
Thanks for pointing this out--I don't frequent that forum as I have no fixed gear bikes.

I think it also belongs as a topic in General Cycling, there's certainly enough road bike racing threads here.
Old 09-10-19, 12:58 PM
bedtime

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Thanks for pointing this out--I don't frequent that forum as I have no fixed gear bikes.

I think it also belongs as a topic in General Cycling, there's certainly enough road bike racing threads here.
I would still really like to have an 'Indoor, artistic cycling, cycle ball' forum (as I noted in the suggestions forum), but I was told it belongs in the fixed gear freestyle forum. I agree that artistic cycling uses a fixie cog, but throwing it in with flatland seems to make about as much sense as having mountain biking and road biking clumped together; they are totally different riding styles and bikes: flatland is on a fixed BMX and artistic cycling is on a fixed (toughened) road bike with flipped handles and a huge/strong seat. And the moves are nowhere near similar. Perhaps if the mods see an interest, they'll add the forum? I have so much to say about the sport, and I'm afraid that posting in irrelevant forums will go unseen.
Old 09-10-19, 01:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Tap Dancing or "Doing Steps" is a thing.

I've seen them doing this in Atlanta. It is fun to watch. Maybe it is the street version.

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-10-19 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 04:38 PM
bedtime

I found a site guide pertaining to the rules and regulations of artistic cycling: UCI Regulations

On that site there is a 238 page PDF that can be downloaded and viewed directly here.

Cycle ball also has it's own guide.

Cool little European video covering the absolute basics of Artistic cycling:

Main points of Artistic Cycling:

Riding-area: 14 x 11 metres, 3 circles of different diameter are drawn around the center.

Time: With a time limit of 5 minutes a maximum of 25 figures* (teams & pairs) or even 30 figures (single) can be presented. In pair artistic cycling the athletes switch from two bicycles to one (or reverse).

Performance: The athletes put together their performance from a catalogue about 120 possible figures. The more difficult, the higher the point value. The riders can select an accompanying music.

Evaluation: Points are deducted if figures are not performed as defined, are performed after the time limit of 5 minutes or are not shown at all. For falling down, touching the floor or unprecise and shaky execution points are deducted as well.

Bicycle: Is made of steel or aluminum, has a fixed 1:1 gear that enables the athlete to ride both forwards and backwards. The design of the saddle and the handlebar enables the rider to stand on it.

* Figures are the artistic cycling lingo for tricks

I just went to this website and sent them a message about their embarrassing English, offering to correct it; else, no American will take them seriously.
Old 09-10-19, 07:43 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Unfortunately, that forum is severely lethargic and apparently widely ignored at BF. Not that I can add anything to boost its level of visitors, though.
Old 09-10-19, 08:50 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Does this count? I'm queasy just watching this again!