Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with new cassette of a cheapo bike please

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-19, 01:57 PM
vintageb3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Folks

So...don't laugh, but I have a Decathlon bi-fold folding bike. It was only £100 years ago. I use it when I'm away in my motorhome. I've fitted BMX handlebars and a big seat. Its really comfortable to ride. I bought a mountain bike to swap the kit onto but I can't bring myself to do it. I really love that little folder. Before someone says they are cheap rubbish and not durable, I'm 21 stone and it gets bumped off pavements and the wheels are still round. I'm surprised!

I put a Bafang 350W mid drive kit on it and changed the front sprocket to a 52T from a 48T because the Bafang motor was putting out more power than I could pedal and keep up with! I'm still not quite there...it still has too much power/or I can't pedal at a comfortable cadence with the motor. The little bike has 20" wheels. It has a 14-28, 6 speed Shimano cassette (is that the correct term?) and derailleur on the back wheel. I assume its a cheap poor quality item.

I'd like to fit a better cassette to give me a higher top speed, and also more low gears to help me on hills.

Is it possible to change that Shimano 14-28 for a say a 10-32 or 11-32. Ive seen a 9-32...but I don't think that's required.

It would be great to get this folder the way I want. It gets looks and laughs because it dweeby...but then when I pass them not pedaling...the jaw drops.
If I could just get the cadence on par with the motor output I'd be happy. Oh...and better brakes!

Thanks in advance
Old 09-12-19, 02:55 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
If it's a mid drive and you can't keep up, I'd say you've maxed your abilities out here. Increasing the cassette will give you more top end speed, but will not change how quickly the cranks turn. That's the mechanical advantage of a bicycle, after all. Can't you just use less throttle?
Old 09-12-19, 04:26 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
It's probably a 6 speed freewheel, not a cassette. They are not too common under 13T due to inherent design limitations. In addition when they are 13T they are often not lower than 24 T
Old 09-12-19, 06:23 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
Most likely Freewheel, but verify first-
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
Old 09-12-19, 08:16 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I think that you should consider improving your brakes before trying to increase your speed to avoid a dangerous situation. If you are going too fast to pedal you are likely going too fast to stop safely.
Old 09-13-19, 03:27 AM
vintageb3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
If it's a mid drive and you can't keep up, I'd say you've maxed your abilities out here. Increasing the cassette will give you more top end speed, but will not change how quickly the cranks turn. That's the mechanical advantage of a bicycle, after all. Can't you just use less throttle?
Thanks for your reply! The Bafang has pedal assist and a throttle. I’m talking about only using assist. If I use throttle only, the speed is way fast enough for that bike. What you’ve said here makes sense. I need yet a bigger crank sprocket.....or bigger wheels. I’m not sure why you don’t get the option of two crank sprockets with a derail on an ebike. Maybe it’s to protect the motor?
I’m actually in Nederland just now and wonder if a step through city bike would suit me. I’d love to get this wee bike right for me though. Thanks!
Old 09-13-19, 03:30 AM
vintageb3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I think that you should consider improving your brakes before trying to increase your speed to avoid a dangerous situation. If you are going too fast to pedal you are likely going too fast to stop safely.
I did mention that in my OP and this of course would be an upgrade done at the same time as any mods. In fact, that’s on the cards soon anyway.
Old 09-13-19, 03:32 AM
vintageb3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
It's probably a 6 speed freewheel, not a cassette. They are not too common under 13T due to inherent design limitations. In addition when they are 13T they are often not lower than 24 T
Thanks for this. I’ve seen MB cassettes at 11-32 etc. I just don’t enough about bike mechanics and terms. Thanks for the information!
Old 09-13-19, 05:19 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by vintageb3
Thanks for this. I’ve seen MB cassettes at 11-32 etc. I just don’t enough about bike mechanics and terms. Thanks for the information!
Originally Posted by vintageb3
Thanks for your reply! The Bafang has pedal assist and a throttle. I’m talking about only using assist. If I use throttle only, the speed is way fast enough for that bike. What you’ve said here makes sense. I need yet a bigger crank sprocket.....or bigger wheels. I’m not sure why you don’t get the option of two crank sprockets with a derail on an ebike. Maybe it’s to protect the motor?
I’m actually in Nederland just now and wonder if a step through city bike would suit me. I’d love to get this wee bike right for me though. Thanks!
Bicycle chainrings with more than 53 teeth would be difficult to source, that's as big as they are mass-produced. Now that I understand that you want more top speed, the other poster was right about freewheel limitations. They just don't go lower than 13 teeth. A road freewheel will have the whole cluster grouped lower, with a MTB freewheel only being slightly wider, because the manufacturers want it to shift well.

I'll stand by my earlier comment that the motor belongs on your mountain bike. The only way to increase gear inches after maxing out your chainring and freewheel is with bigger wheels, and your frame will limit the size wheels you can use. Any mountain bike should have brakes capable of keeping you safe at top speeds. Both the common rim brakes on mountain bikes and disc brakes can handle stopping.

You could consider a 700/29er too, if money is no object .
Old 09-13-19, 11:26 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
sun race has freewheels for e bikes int thw 11-36 and 11-32 range...... have not idea if they would work in this situation

SunRace | Products

Old 09-13-19, 12:15 PM
vintageb3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
sun race has freewheels for e bikes int thw 11-36 and 11-32 range...... have not idea if they would work in this situation
Thanks for this!