Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 06-18-19, 11:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Had fun at the track tonight. Rolled a break of four for 4 out of 5 k in the scratch race, made it to the second half of the elimination race (I suck at these), then lapped the field with three other riders in the 12 k points race. Probably the only time I've earned 20+ points in the Men's A field at San Diego .
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-19-19, 06:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The in-town Tuesday roll last night. I decided to play enforcer.

I think it may be an honest Fred thing, in that they were told or learned this, but this newer person keeps trying to go off the front at weird times where the group doesn't split or hammer. They just dangle there 100 feet up and get chewed up. I think perhaps they're doing the thing I've heard some people do that they get a bit ahead before a hill or an area they may get dropped and then drift back. Perhaps.

But, last night we let them dangle about 100 yards up for a minute or two. Then when I got back to front, I told the person to my left to hold my wheel if they wanted to, but that a lesson was about to be taught. Went by at probably 30+ mph and put a minute on them over the course of maybe 2 miles and stayed that far up until the first regroup.

They did it a couple other times once we got in-town. I guess some lessons take more than once to learn.
Old 06-19-19, 06:32 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
They might just not be comfortable in the group, especially through certain sections?

Have you tried talking to them?
Old 06-19-19, 06:39 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
What lesson did you teach them? That if they ride off the front, you'll ride off the front faster?
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 06-19-19, 06:55 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Ha, that's a great point topflight! Very fair.

I brought the friends with. I did not go by myself.

One important point I didn't include was that they were doing this by riding up the middle or going well over the yellow line into head-on traffic and then kind of randomly moving about the group as they made their way up front. We had to adjust once to let them in as they didn't make it by, while riding over in head-on traffic, and a car was coming.
Old 06-19-19, 09:00 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Had fun at the track tonight. Rolled a break of four for 4 out of 5 k in the scratch race, made it to the second half of the elimination race (I suck at these), then lapped the field with three other riders in the 12 k points race. Probably the only time I've earned 20+ points in the Men's A field at San Diego .
What was your gearing in the points race?
Old 06-19-19, 09:57 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm gassed. My training hasn't been good or consistent, but I put in some big TSS these past few days and my legs feel it. Nothing but recovery rides til at least Saturday, and I'll reevaluate.

I've become a bit obsessive about my weight, currently sitting at 145 with 11% bodyfat. I'm hoping to lose 6-7 more lbs, but I'm more going off when the bf calipers tell me to stop.
Old 06-19-19, 11:04 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
What was your gearing in the points race?
I'm running 52/15 for everything right now. It's a little spinny for sprint laps but I like it that way.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-19-19, 11:11 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
94" isn't bad for a mass start race.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 06-19-19, 11:29 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Rode on Monday after work, then decided to "race" yesterday. Riding to the race (local series, last night was only 8 miles away) I was riding through cottonwood clouds. Knew things were going to go bad sooner in the race rather than later, so after the first neutral lap I went off the front hard. Drilled that first lap (mostly to get the race moving, the B race tends to take a while to ramp up), tried to recover at the back, then finally got dropped.

Makes me want to actually start training again..and I think I will. There is at least one race I want to do next month, so im hoping I can get some kind of training in before then.

Now I just have to actually train
Likes For Wylde06:
Old 06-19-19, 12:18 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm running 52/15 for everything right now. It's a little spinny for sprint laps but I like it that way.
Lapping the field is always hard and lapping the field at SDV on the 333 meter track with the typical wind is very hard. Congrats doing that in the As.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-19-19, 01:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Leaving on vacation tomorrow (Alaska cruise). Just trying to get in as many miles as reasonably possible this week. This morning I took out the CX/graveler to test out my tubeless set up. They hold air, didn't burp, didn't flat. That's good right?
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-19-19, 08:40 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Gravel commute Monday, very hard group ride after road commute yesterday and some toasted legs mtbing tonight. I think I'm in a pretty big calorie hole right now (less than a lb to goal weight), and have a long ride planned for tomorrow before about a week off the bike for work travel and a friends wedding. Legs are tired, but I'm 3 weeks out from an a race. So I guess that's good!
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 06-20-19, 10:04 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Tuesday, sprinters workout on Fiesta on my road bike followed by an upper body gym workout after.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-20-19, 05:33 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Typical summer solstice ride. Goal is to do 100 miles. I didn't have to work today so I got it done in the morning. Averaged ~21mph solo the entire time with one mtn climb/descent and one good climb a bit later. 15 minutes stopped at lights and gas stations. Good day!

I'd planned to go rock climbing tonight with some friends but a storm rolled in. We're in eternal spring out here in Utah.. I'll take it over the crazy hot weather I know is coming, but these rain storms are killing me.
Old 06-20-19, 05:50 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Typical summer solstice ride. Goal is to do 100 miles. I didn't have to work today so I got it done in the morning. Averaged ~21mph solo the entire time with one mtn climb/descent and one good climb a bit later. 15 minutes stopped at lights and gas stations. Good day!

I'd planned to go rock climbing tonight with some friends but a storm rolled in. We're in eternal spring out here in Utah.. I'll take it over the crazy hot weather I know is coming, but these rain storms are killing me.
I can't imagine having the fitness to roll 20+ solo for 5 hours including a mountain.

All of you guys are in a different world.
Old 06-20-19, 06:12 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Flat******
I can't imagine having the fitness to roll 20+ solo for 5 hours including a mountain.

All of you guys are in a different world.
I have no data on this (besides the math).. but when I moved to altitude my average ride speed jumped. I don't know if it's the dry air, thinner air or whatever (better fitness?), but I do ride faster solo here than I ever did back at sea level. It really wasn't that many watts to get it done today..

https://www.strava.com/activities/2466628787

Edit: Whoever changed the profanity filter on these boards should get it. I've seen so many things starred out that don't belong recently.
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 06-20-19, 06:24 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Found a really cool flowy trail system nearish to our Santa Fe rental house and rode there twice this week. Short rides but I’m feeling surprisingly tired this week. Took today off to noodle around Santa Fe and may attempt a more epic mountain bike ride tomorrow. But then again, I may not. I might find myself on the fun flow trails again.

Tomorrow is our last day in New Mexico, we drive back to LA on Saturday. This has been a crazy long time away from work for me- I was last there June 4 and won’t be back until June 24. I had a conference for 4 days at the front end of the vacation, but still it’s been a great break from the everyday slog.

Lol though I already have a ride set up for Sunday. I’m a planner.
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 06-20-19, 06:39 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I have no data on this (besides the math).. but when I moved to altitude my average ride speed jumped. I don't know if it's the dry air, thinner air or whatever (better fitness?), but I do ride faster solo here than I ever did back at sea level. It really wasn't that many watts to get it done today..

https://www.strava.com/activities/2466628787

Edit: Whoever changed the profanity filter on these boards should get it. I've seen so many things starred out that don't belong recently.
That really isn't crazy watts, but you weigh half what I do, so there's that.

And yeah, they don't have a modicum of common sense.

Weird, it didn't sensor *** in modicum. I saw it do it the other day inside a word.
Old 06-21-19, 11:26 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Super poor choice of workout last night. The weekly hammer ride on Tues is a good bit of Z5 and Z6 of 6 zones. You shouldn't try to follow that up with......another Z6 workout. Moron. I tried to do 30/30's and 1/1 work last night, without my cooling fan. Storms were rolling thru and I was bored. I cracked 500w each time on the first set, bonked the 2nd set and couldn't crack low 400's. Pitiful.

I say it was a super poor choice because today was 95% day. I did 40min of work in 50min at 95% after all that crap Tues/Weds. It felt like punishment the last 20min. I needed a gel or something in me, the HR said I could finish by grinding it out but the feeling of depleted energy/sugar stores was saying "you better wrap this up soon or I'll make you wrap it up". I'm out of non-caffeine gels a home.

At least by mid year I'm at 10w more for most everything. That'd be on track for another 10w by year end.
Old 06-21-19, 01:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Velo Sports Center track workout last night with coach. 6x(team sprint motor paced drills). In this drill, we line up behind the motor and the motor dives into the pole lane and each racer peels off in the exchange area after one lap until it is just the motor left. After each repetition, the three of us would rotate to a new starting position. Totally fun workout. Legs are a little tired today.
Old 06-21-19, 06:44 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Another good commute day.

35 or so in the morning, 1:05 moving or so this afternoon. Missed a turn, rode a mile and a half up a hill and into a town before I realized something was wrong. Really looking forward to that GPS computer for my birthday to stop getting lost and having to use cue sheets.

Feeling beat, that's a big day for me right now just a couple weeks back into riding.

Question: let's say you have 60 minutes, and have to do a ride plus all your recovery (stretch, legs up, stick massage, etc). How much time do you devote to the recovery part? 10 minutes? 5? Is it better to just ride the whole 60?
Old 06-22-19, 03:23 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Another good commute day.

35 or so in the morning, 1:05 moving or so this afternoon. Missed a turn, rode a mile and a half up a hill and into a town before I realized something was wrong. Really looking forward to that GPS computer for my birthday to stop getting lost and having to use cue sheets.

Feeling beat, that's a big day for me right now just a couple weeks back into riding.

Question: let's say you have 60 minutes, and have to do a ride plus all your recovery (stretch, legs up, stick massage, etc). How much time do you devote to the recovery part? 10 minutes? 5? Is it better to just ride the whole 60?

Old 06-22-19, 06:59 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Heading out to do a ride that includes a 19 mile climb. Haven't done anything like that in a while but since I stopped work I have been trying to regain some of my endurance. Had a fairly fast ride Wednesday with some people who were kind enough to slow up for me but had pain in my lower right leg that night.. I think it might be IT band syndrome.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-22-19, 07:05 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Away from the bike for 9 days because of a wedding (last night) and some work travel. Wedding was awesome. Controlled myself on the drinking front but went a little hard on the food. I've been dieting hard the last two months and my stomachs ability to handle that much I was lacking... just contributing more to this eating disorder we call a sport...

So a run this morning to kill some calories and I've got to do better in the upcoming week!
Likes For Ttoc6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.