Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Laptop or Tablet? What exactly is your setup for being plugged in?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Laptop or Tablet? What exactly is your setup for being plugged in?

Old 07-30-19, 12:14 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
Part of touring to me, will be moving around touring and if I find a place I want to stay for a few weeks, months, whatever...then setup base camp for a while, explore the area in more depth, and then move on when done. I would like to figure out a compromise so that if I was in a place for a couple of weeks or in a tent at night, I am content with what I have. I don't plan on having a central place to return to so I will be indefinitely wandering so to speak. I don't have personal items that I am worried about losing, disposing, and starting over, but I would like to keep a core of electronics with me that I will be content with in all situations.
As much as I hate definitions, what you are describing is becoming further and further from Bike Touring as recognised by most (not all) on this forum.

Whatever your choice(s) they will have to be powered and you will have to carry them (safely) from place to place.
Old 07-30-19, 04:43 AM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
You're overthinking it. Basically the option is either get a 10-12" tablet and keyboard (with battery life being your main priority), or one of those new tiny laptops that you can find in most any electronics section that cost ~$200(with battery life being your main priority). You're screwed on keyboard and screen size either way, so they seem like minimal considerations. Battery life and internet connectivity are your issues. Personally, I'd Guess you'll stop being as internet dependent once you start touring, but I don't know you and could be way off base. If you will continue to internet a lot, get a tablet with a data plan. Make it an unlimited plan. Seek out the best provider coverage map since you plan to do lots of camping. Lots of phone companies don't spend the money to provide coverage to the forest animals. Whatever you get, delete Anything you don't need from it, make sure you don't have programs running in the background, keep it on battery save mode. And don't use google maps on your phone for directions. You'll kill your battery and your data. Use an offline GPS based app like maps.me. I think last time I checked, Verizon had the best coverage, but it's been a long time. Page Plus is a small cellular company that runs on Verizon cell towers, but is much cheaper than going through Verizon.
Old 07-30-19, 08:16 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
You're overthinking it.

Not really overthinking as much as seeing what all my options are so I can make the best informed choice. Little things come up that I would have not thought about if other folks didn't bring them up and my original thinking has more information to sort through now and make a better choice. Budgeting and costs are something I always need to be conscious of, so having as much information and variables that I might not think about, or solutions that I never heard about can come from others, which already has like that cool lit up keyboard. That alone actually can solve many of my problems and thinking on the matter. Besides, overthinking is better than a lack of thinking your way through things. Rather be guilty of overthinking it rather than," Didn't you think this through?"

Personally, I'd Guess you'll stop being as internet dependent once you start touring, but I don't know you and could be way off base.

I think so too in many ways, and I am OK with that if it happens. I have a good sense of navigation, can read maps, always know which way I am pointed for the most part (except in downtown Denver...you have to be a Denver-ite to get it), and am fine with extended periods of being disconnected. If I eventually become disconnected full-time, that would be fine too. I can be resourceful, acclimate in just about any U.S. environment and talk/deal with folks, have good street smarts as well as educated, and getting disconnected is not really that big of a deal if it naturally happens. My down time is spent either biking or screen time about biking for the most part anyway. I would venture to guess a lot of that screen time would drastically be cut once I actually start doing it. I don't plan on sensationalizing it, utilizing social media, or have a need to stay connected with friends and family kind of thing. It's mainly how I navigate the world now and I am 50 and was born before cell phones, so remember how we use to get in a car and just drive across the country asking directions all the way. I also know what it's like sitting in places with nothing and nothing to do, and screen time is good for that stuff. I can do anything on a cell phone screen if I have to. I am more worried about days I have down time and just want to park in front of the screen for a while. Watch a movie, watch videos, ask questions, and read more trying to reverse engineer the world some more and figure out exactly what this place really is.

If you will continue to internet a lot, get a tablet with a data plan. Make it an unlimited plan.
Yes, I would have to get an unlimited plan.

Seek out the best provider coverage map since you plan to do lots of camping.
I know this from doing other things in multiple states that Verizon has the best coverage plan nationwide, or at least they did the last time of checking 2 years ago. I use T-mobile because you can't beat $40 prepaid unlimited text/calls with 10 gig of data. If you stay conscious of wifi, you can stay under the 10 gig successfully depending on your needs and not pushing a lot of video. I would bump that $40 plan to unlimited though, which I think is about $75 without looking.

Whatever you get, delete Anything you don't need from it, make sure you don't have programs running in the background, keep it on battery save mode. And don't use google maps on your phone for directions.You'll kill your battery and your data.

I do all the time, but in power save modes, I turn privacy off to save on draining resources. Agreed though.

Use an offline GPS based app like maps.me.

Prepaid with Verizon is a good deal too if you catch it right. I have been off their network for a while, but only because the phone wouldn't catch a tower reception in my apartment at the time. Now the only reason I don't switch back is because it's $40 prepaid a month on T-mobile which is super cheap. But if I get on the road again, I would probably switch back to Verizon because of the coverage in general, especially when I head into the Rocky Mountains. T-Mobile is horrible in the mountains.
Old 07-30-19, 08:33 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
As much as I hate definitions, what you are describing is becoming further and further from Bike Touring as recognised by most (not all) on this forum.

Edited since I had it wrong.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 07-31-19 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Misunderstanding.
Old 07-30-19, 08:52 AM
HobbesOnTour

Actually it is and it's not, it just depends on the persons filters of the world,

So I would like to "tour" the world on my bicycle. Sorry that doesn't fit the "definition" of the forum, but I hope you don't kick me out or evict me before I can get enough information to figure out how I can go tour the world on my bicycle. That is one of the main reasons why I joined and paid for a membership. So I can utilize as much information here to go tour the world on my bicycle in a way that suites me and I hope to find some peace and joy in.

Thanks
jeez!

The point I was trying to make and clearly failing was that most people on this forum do not tour in the style that you plan on touring.
Therefore, for your specific needs with respect to technology, the collective experience on this forum and most other bike touring forums will not be a lot of help.
That is not kicking you out or sending you away. That is a fact.

Specifically, your plans to set up home for undefined periods of time are different to most touring experiences here. Not all. Most. Not having a home base will have all kinds of implications for your technology use - warranties, subscriptions etc. all become more difficult if you wander with no fixed base, not to mention power, security and operating environment.

To get an idea of what others use have a look at gear lists of those on multi-year bike touring trips around the world. CrazyGuyOnABike is the place to start.

By the way, for an international bike tour, technology is the least of your concerns.
Likes For HobbesOnTour:
Old 07-30-19, 09:23 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
jeez!

The point I was trying to make and clearly failing was that most people on this forum do not tour in the style that you plan on touring.
Ok then. I thought this was going in a direction of, "your not a tourer, this is a touring area, and you will be treated that way kind of thing..."

Therefore, for your specific needs with respect to technology, the collective experience on this forum and most other bike touring forums will not be a lot of help.

That is not kicking you out or sending you away. That is a fact.
I am guessing that if I am looking to do this, then I can't be the first, and there are others out there that are doing similar stuff and just not real vocal about it. I have read comments here and there over time that there are folks out there living the Homeless Odyssey of Bicycle Touring and utilizing this website just the same for information too, but not calling themselves the Homeless Odyssey or see themselves as that. I also understand that I am probably also in a unique class in that I don't have commitments to others like most people do, so many won't understand why, how, or what I am doing anyway.

Specifically, your plans to set up home for undefined periods of time are different to most touring experiences here.
That's a new one for me too to be honest. I had a setback in life a few years ago, and had to start from the ground up with nothing, in poverty. It was one of the biggest eye opening experiences in my life when I did it this way. Between helping other folks and being given stuff, free stuff on Craigslist, crafty shopping, and second hand stores, I have accidentally learned how to start over, to a point of fully operational, for next to nothing, in no time at all for a minimalist. The beauty of it is that you are not attached to anything and you can tear it all down, throw in a dumpster or re-gift it to others who can use it, and be gone in 24 hours if you really wanted to. Sounds a little I-Spy'ish but for someone that doesn't like attachments or commitments, it's pretty freeing. I had another set back a few months ago and my bike wasn't ready for full touring yet. If it was, I would have gotten on it and just left by now. I realized at that point that as long as my bike is ready to go, I am fit, I don't really need to worry about where I go, how I go, and what happens to me with living. I can survive with a bike and a laptop, and the laptop is secondary. If I can get on my bike at any moment and leave, I will be fine as long as I am healthy, which I am for the most part now. But my body is breaking down, in some ways, quickly now, and at my age (50), this is my last chance. I am not in a financial situation to make things better, just work with what I have, which is always tight and budgeted. Been building a touring bike (or my version of it) for a while and should be complete soon. I can either reinvest in building things back up where I am at right now, or I can leave before I do that and start touring until I either find a place that I might want to stay for a while or I can come back to Colorado and setup base camp again. But I don't suspect I would come back to Colorado for a while again as there is too much to see now. Colorado is my home, always want it to be my home, but I don't have family so outside of me, there is nothing central here for me other than it being my home. It's very easy for me to pack up and leave right now. I would like to keep it that way indefinitely. I picked up a good sleeping pad that I would be traveling with instead of a bed when I moved into my new place a few weeks ago. For the last couple of weeks been sleeping on it to get adjusted to being on the ground and having only the air mattress to sleep on and get use to.

I don't know what to expect, I don't know quite exactly what I am looking to do, other than just be mobile on my bike and see as much as I can before I can't anymore. I don't want to be plugged into people and communities anymore as much as just be in the world and going to see it now. I don't need a lot to do that and thinking I can combine touring, minamist lifestyle, and some down time between riding in new places, into the ultimate bike touring expedition.

Not all. Most.
I am hoping to tap into the "not all" folks for better insight, and the "most" folks for all the little in's and out's of not having to recreate the wheel for myself while I am out there.

Not having a home base will have all kinds of implications for your technology use - warranties, subscriptions etc. all become more difficult if you wander with no fixed base, not to mention power, security and operating environment.
Yes, not having a home base is concerning on all kinds of other fronts too. I don't have my passport, so if I do this, I need to go get it now while I still have a local address. Disconnecting to the point of not having a home base has all kinds of problems associated with it that concern me. I am trying to mentally ignore them so they don't scare me out of doing it.

To get an idea of what others use have a look at gear lists of those on multi-year bike touring trips around the world. CrazyGuyOnABike is the place to start.
I do look at people's gear lists a lot, but haven't thought to do this specifically. That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of that. And why I post! Thanks.

By the way, for an international bike tour, technology is the least of your concerns.
You mean visa kind of stuff right? Yes, I know. Security for me is another issue to without having a home base or folks that care and are monitoring your travel and can get you home if something goes wrong. Injuries and health is always a factor too. What if an injury takes me down for weeks or months like it did a few times in the last couple of years and I don't have a home base or place to get to quickly to recover? There are a lot of things that say I should not do this and most people would think it's foolish, even other folks touring. I get that. I am just trying to figure out how to go tour the world without being an official "tour" person. It's difficult when you don't fit the norm or typical agenda, or more importantly, other's don't agree with your lifestyle, choices, or social or financial status.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 07-30-19 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-30-19, 09:52 AM
HobbesOnTour

I am trying to mentally ignore them so they don't scare me out of doing it.
Well, that's just dumb.

You mean visa kind of stuff right? Yes, I know. Security for me is another issue to without having a homebase or folks that care and are monitoring your travel and get you home if something goes wrong.
Visas certainly, finances, insurance, language, culture and psychology. There is a vast difference between a typical cycle tour with defined beginning and ending and an endless odyssey.

It's not clear if you have even toured?

If you haven't, pack what you have and go where you can, even if it's only overnight. The best learning is doing.

Over and out
Likes For HobbesOnTour:
Old 07-30-19, 10:55 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Well, that's just dumb.
edited...not relative to topic.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 07-31-19 at 07:14 AM. Reason: not relative to topic
Old 07-30-19, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Over and out
Good decision.
Old 07-30-19, 11:19 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Good decision.
"Thanks for this. This actually has been super helpful. You helped me to think about some other things I am not thinking about or considering, so this was more helpful than you know."

Why would it be a "good decision" if it's helping? Because it does not match a harmonic rhythm that meets the norm?

Wouldn't helping someone accomplish their own hopes, goals, or dreams, even if there is constructive criticism, be a good thing?

Or is social norm more important? I don't have normal social skills and don't do well in situations like that. Actually, I do if I fake it, but I would rather not fake it and just be me instead. Do you have some advice for me on what to do since I struggle with stuff like that so folks don't shut me down, and others don't rush in to support and encourage shutting folks down, verses just being honest, have communication, and allow people to learn their lessons us being different?

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 07-30-19 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-30-19, 11:25 AM
indyfabz

"Thanks for this. This actually has been super helpful. You helped me to think about some other things I am not thinking about or considering, so this was more helpful than you know."

Why would it be a "good decision" if it's helping? Because it does not match a harmonic rhythm that meets the norm?

Wouldn't helping someone accomplish their own hopes, goals, or dreams, even if there is constructive criticism, be a good thing?

Or is social norm more important? I don't have normal social skills and don't do well in situations like that. Actually, I do if I fake it, but I would rather not fake it and just be me instead. Do you have some advice for me on what to do since I struggle with stuff like that so folks don't shut me down, and others rush in to support and encourage shutting folks down, verses just being honest, have communication, and allow people to learn their lessons us being different?
Tl;dnr

Iggy list just got longer.
Old 07-30-19, 11:47 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Tl;dnr

Iggy list just got longer.
I am not current on chat lingo.

I honestly don't know what any of this means.
Likes For Bike Jedi:
Old 07-31-19, 03:35 AM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I think he means the "ignore" list. If that is what he meant, it just means that your posts won't show up when he looks at the forum. Basically it's a way to make the forum less frustrating if someone annoys or frustrates you.

In case it might help - https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/
$55/month unlimited text, talk, and data on Verizon network through Page Plus. $50/month if you sign up for auto-pay. Basically Verizon for much cheaper than Verizon last time I checked.
Likes For 3speed:
Old 07-31-19, 05:54 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 3speed
if someone annoys or frustrates you.
Or you think they are full of it.
Old 07-31-19, 07:18 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Or you think they are full of it.
I was just looking through the thread, I see no relative content that you added, you came in to voice your opinions and judgement without adding relative content, to state that someone is "full of it," which you have yet clearly stated what it is the person is full of, why you feel this, or given someone a chance to defend themselves as to your accusations, or just deem you as a rude and this is your M.O. Beating around the bush about nonsense that is not relative to topic, and polluting the thread, and then further suggesting to others that something is wrong and they should be ignored isn't very nice or helpful, and for what reason exactly?

How exactly is this helpful to my setup, needs, thread, or site?

Edited: That's too bad...it killed the thread, I didn't even get my needs met or taken care of, and it made it so that I shouldn't (or don't want to) ask anymore questions on the topic. Don't really understand the logic of coming in and doing that only to kill a thread and chase other folks away from answering. You can close the thread now.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-04-19 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-05-19, 07:12 AM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Bikes: Co-Op adv1.1, Cannondale Synapse 105 Carbon

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Lightweight laptop and charger

I faced the same dilemma about 18 months ago for my solo ride across the country. I carried my cell phone for navigation and communication, but I also carried a small, light and inexpensive laptop. I created a daily journal, posted and responded to FB, read, responded and created email and watched the occasional television program. I really appreciated a full size keyboard and display. I also updated and sent out a complicated spreadsheet that would not run on my tablet or phone.

I carried the HP Stream , a small thin laptop that weighs 2 pounds, not including the charging 'brick'. It runs for 10 hours on a battery charge and it has an electronic disk (no disk drive). I carried it in a cellophane bag for 3700 miles and 71 days through rain, snow, mud and extreme heat. I can't count how many times I dropped it. I also carried the 'Fensix Dart' universal charger, a very small, very light charger that delivers up to 65 watts of power - enough to power most laptops. I left the 'brick' at home. I charged the laptop about once per week whenever I stayed in a motel. I used the USB ports on the laptop as emergency power for charging my phone, GPS and lights if needed. Its not a fast computer, and it has very limited memory (32 GB for the 'C' drive and an optional 32 GB in a SD card), but it got the job done, and it only cost $180. I loaded only the programs I needed and purged the operating system of anything that I did not need. I still have it. The outer case is scratched up, but it still functions perfectly. I will carry it again on my next tour.
Old 08-06-19, 07:00 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I only take a Sat. phone, and a handheld UHF 2 way radio, not interest in internet use anymore whilst I am touring. I have a radio, a small transistor one, that I can use an usb stick with audio books, to listen while I ride, as well as FM radio, don't need anything else.
Old 08-07-19, 12:02 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I would think about keeping the Iphone (for basic calls/texts etc) & getting a fairly nice 10" tablet for other uses. I'm not an expert, but don't the better tablets often have an advantage of lighter weight, more battery life & faster processors than the cheaper ones? A laptop has the advantage of the separate keyboard but that's extra weight & folks seem to manage without it in most cases. Also, light-weight laptops seem to be a bit pricey.

Those portable Bluetooth keyboards are pretty cheap & light but I don't know if I would bother, another thing to charge. & yes, the whole charging bit is a problem. A big power bank adds some weight but adds flexibility, perhaps one would only need to charge phone/tablet/power bank once a week?
Old 08-07-19, 01:46 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I would think about keeping the Iphone (for basic calls/texts etc) & getting a fairly nice 10" tablet for other uses. I'm not an expert, but don't the better tablets often have an advantage of lighter weight, more battery life & faster processors than the cheaper ones? A laptop has the advantage of the separate keyboard but that's extra weight & folks seem to manage without it in most cases. Also, light-weight laptops seem to be a bit pricey.

Those portable Bluetooth keyboards are pretty cheap & light but I don't know if I would bother, another thing to charge. & yes, the whole charging bit is a problem. A big power bank adds some weight but adds flexibility, perhaps one would only need to charge phone/tablet/power bank once a week?
1. The major difference between a tablet and a laptop is the operating system. Most tablets run on iOS or Android. There is also the Surface Go, which (can) run Windows 10.

2. Battery life is largely determined by screen size. One edge case would be an e-ink tablet. If energy saving is your top priority, you may want to consider something like the Boox Note. It is a 10.3 inch tablet that runs on Android and battery life is counted in days. (like a larger version of the Kindle Paper White). This kind of tablet is meant to read and annotate pdf files. But it can also be used to browse, process emails, etc. Downside is a grayscale screen with a very slow refresh rate -- google maps is barely usable.
Old 08-07-19, 03:56 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
All of my PCs are post-2006 now. My only mobile is a little Walkman radio with a broken tape recorder and membrane speakers. It's operating system is good for oldies and baseball games, a really sound platform.
Old 08-07-19, 04:03 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I am not current on chat lingo.

I honestly don't know what any of this means.
It means that your posts won't show in his feed but all of our quotes of your posts will. I'm surprised there aren't people who block everybody for the principle. If you block the people you don't care to hear, you'll never know if your paranoia was correct.

Remember that even God was a newbie once folks.
Old 08-07-19, 09:53 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
It means that your posts won't show in his feed but all of our quotes of your posts will. I'm surprised there aren't people who block everybody for the principle. If you block the people you don't care to hear, you'll never know if your paranoia was correct.

Oh...so someone went out of their way, to come into a thread, and spread hate, for no logic reason. That only makes me glad they blocked me because then I don't have to listen to their hate in response to anything because they have no idea I am even present. They did me a favor. No real reason to get upset about that when you think it through logically. Further shows their own character, which means those are the folks I want to avoid anyway.

I guess you have to get to 7000+ posts to get the same rights as the rest of the citizens to mention the word God at all without a public flogging. I made one simple reference to it in another thread, and folks couldn't wait to swoop in and tear me a new ******* about it and turn it into a controversy to discuss. I guess that is one of the benefits of not being a newb anymore as you put it. Different freedoms then the rest of the pee-ons. I hope it's not one of the privileges I strive for or look forward to one day to separate myself out or above the other human beings. That's pride and ultimately, it's not good for anything, including trying to make yourself sound superior to others.

I don't need anyone coming in an defending me with hypocrisy that other's get their butts kicked for doing the same thing but different outcomes in other threads. If we can't talk about God, or selectively talk about God based on seniority or public acceptance all in the same way, then it shouldn't be mentioned on the site at all. Shouldn't be able to cherry pick your rules, but of course, you will. I would think for as long as you have been on the site, you would be able to discern that for yourself but obviously not.

As it was told to me in another thread, "This is a bicycle forum...please stick to that only." (paraphrased because it's not worth looking up)

So here we go...carry on with the double standard witch hunt...

Mod's please just close the thread. It's completely derailed and not even worth it. I have unsubscribed to the thread and not even worth it anymore. Thanks.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-07-19 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 02:00 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Dude, for your own sake, take a step back from the keyboard and breath. You are coming across as slightly unhinged with your constant persecution complex and dramatic judgements of simple internet banter, to the point of even attacking those trying to help you.

Stating that you doubt anyone is more honest than you or that 99.999999 of others can't be trusted doesn't help either. Do you want to be part of this community or just use any excuse to judge it.

One guy didn't like the religious comment - not everyone. Personally, I don't care either way and I suspect most feel the same.

Free advice. Take it or leave it, but you are curently digging yourself a hole with the rhetoric.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-11-19 at 12:37 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-12-19, 06:56 AM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Bikes: Co-Op adv1.1, Cannondale Synapse 105 Carbon

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan

The laptop I choose (HP Stream 10) with the charger I carried (Finsix dart) actually weighed less than my tablet (iPad). I also carried my iPhone, which was my primary navigation device. I probably used the laptop no more than an hour per day when camping and on a couple of occasions I used the laptop USB port to charge my other devices (watch, light etc.).
Old 08-12-19, 02:18 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
...You mean visa kind of stuff [emphasis added] right? Yes, I know. Security for me is another issue to without having a home base or folks that care and are monitoring your travel and can get you home if something goes wrong. Injuries and health is always a factor too. What if an injury takes me down for weeks or months like it did a few times in the last couple of years and I don't have a home base or place to get to quickly to recover? There are a lot of things that say I should not do this and most people would think it's foolish, even other folks touring. I get that. I am just trying to figure out how to go tour the world without being an official "tour" person. It's difficult when you don't fit the norm or typical agenda, or more importantly, other's don't agree with your lifestyle, choices, or social or financial status.

It sounds like this Homeless Odyssey might be morphing into something that involves crossing borders. I wish to strongly caution the OP that if he shows up at a Canadian border post, he will be questioned closely about his travel plans in Canada. U.S. citizens do not need visas to enter Canada for short tourism purposes... BUT the Canadian Border Services Agency folks will still refuse entry to a traveler who appears to be planning to hang out in Canada for an indefinite period of time ("What is the purpose of your trip and how long are you planning to stay in Canada?") and who can't show evidence that he can support himself financially while in Canada. They would want to see that you have a bank account with enough money in it to finance your sojourn in Canada in any case, and that you can access it from Canada. Remember you cannot work legally in Canada without a work visa. Not having a home address in the U.S. to return to would also be a red flag as further evidence that the traveler intends to "move" to Canada and work here illegally, which would also result in refusal of entry. The OP's penchant for long rambling self-contradicting answers would annoy the border folks even more than they do the Forumites, the latter who, I think, are genuinely trying to help the OP accomplish his dream. The border agents just want to keep deadbeats out of the country. Please, I'm not saying the OP is a deadbeat, just that he might look like one to the people who secure our borders against them.

We hear American friends occasionally say, jokingly, "If this gets any worse, we're moving to Canada." We know they don't really mean it, but it is actually nearly impossible to move to Canada from anywhere unless you have a job offer or a few million dollars of assets you can invest, beyond your living expenses. A word to the wise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.