Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 04:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Last week's adventures ...

On Tuesday, I decided to try to walk to the uni. On Google maps, it looked quite simple and straightforward, so off I went. It was all good for about the first km, and then I reached a 3-way fork in the road ... and I selected the wrong road. I got a lot of walking in ... trying to figure out where I was and how to get back to where I started, but never reached the uni.

On Wednesday, I was determined to get to the uni. So I took a bus there, and then walked back. I also figured out where I went wrong the day before.

This week's adventures ... so far ...

I've been attending classes getting my First Aid certification again during the day both Monday and Tuesday, and both Monday and Tuesday I also had night classes. So ... bus to the CBD early in the morning, and the rest of the day was walking. Walk to the First Aid class, walk around at lunch acquiring lunch, walk to a location to wait between classes, and walk to the evening classes.

Where I walked one day after my First Aid class ...

Last edited by Machka; 03-16-14 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-04-14, 05:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

One thing I found interesting on today's walk was the number of other people (business people) walking too. I did the last leg of my journey today at about 5:15, and so people were leaving the office and going home ... and they were walking! I presume most of them were parked some distance out of the CBD and that they would be driving some of the route home, but it was good to see so many people being active.

I was a salmon swimming upstream for a while there, pushing my way through the crowds ...
Old 03-05-14, 10:06 AM
duckbill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Machka;16546504]Last week's adventures ...

"On Wednesday, I was determined to get to the uni. So I took a bus there, and then walked back. I also figured out where I went wrong the day before."

The adventure doesn't begin until something goes wrong.

I do not know who originally said this but I find this statement follows me around.

Bill
Old 03-05-14, 08:17 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I recently purchase a Fitbit Flex and see who this works out. I really want to lose weight this year and keep it off! I'm hoping that by tracking my calories and food intake, I'll be in a better position to manage my weight.

https://www.fitbit.com/

#aid=P9oFCrtR6-Q
Old 03-06-14, 12:22 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I recently purchase a Fitbit Flex and see who this works out. I really want to lose weight this year and keep it off! I'm hoping that by tracking my calories and food intake, I'll be in a better position to manage my weight.
That device looks really cool. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
Old 03-07-14, 04:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
This week's adventures ... so far ...

I've been attending classes getting my First Aid certification again during the day both Monday and Tuesday, and both Monday and Tuesday I also had night classes. So ... bus to the CBD early in the morning, and the rest of the day was walking. Walk to the First Aid class, walk around at lunch acquiring lunch, walk to a location to wait between classes, and walk to the evening classes.
I ended up walking 5 km on Tuesday.

Then on Thursday, I walked 10 km!! But not all of it was outside. 2.5 km was to an appointment and back at lunch, and 7.5 km was on the gym treadmill ... we're enjoying our new gym membership.

That's the second 10+ km day I've done in the last couple weeks. Before you know it, I'll be walking a marathon.

And today's lunch was yet another walk. There were a lot of people walking at lunch today.
Old 03-07-14, 03:47 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I ended up walking 5 km on Tuesday.

Then on Thursday, I walked 10 km!! But not all of it was outside. 2.5 km was to an appointment and back at lunch, and 7.5 km was on the gym treadmill ... we're enjoying our new gym membership.

That's the second 10+ km day I've done in the last couple weeks. Before you know it, I'll be walking a marathon.

And today's lunch was yet another walk. There were a lot of people walking at lunch today.
I always found treadmills and stationary bikes to be boring, but they are great for exercise. What do you do or think about to make it more interesting?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-07-14, 04:25 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Roody
I always found treadmills and stationary bikes to be boring, but they are great for exercise. What do you do or think about to make it more interesting?
I watch the TV in the console of the treadmill or stat bike. Then during the commercials I watch the other people in the gym or I look out the big windows over the city and watch what's going on there or I watch what's happening on the water beyond. Or I do commercial intervals.

I can put in 60-90 minutes quite happily.

Last edited by Machka; 03-15-14 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-07-14, 05:20 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I walked down to the auto parts store for a replacement u-joint for my pickup, then farther to Ace Hardware for an electrical switch that doesn't exist. Then back to work. Pretty day. I'm mad I slept through my alarm and had to ride my motorcycle rather than bicycle.
Old 03-07-14, 05:43 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Nowhere. Due to working 12 hour midnight shifts, I find it difficult to do anything between two shifts. Today it was sunny and went up to 45F. That's 25 degrees warmer than it was yesterday, or for the past four months. And I slept until almost 4:00 PM....

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-07-14, 06:22 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
After a week of being snow bound, the weather was in the high 50's the streets were clear and there were pretty patches of snow all around. I did my standard 13 mile loop down and along the Arkansas river through Two Rivers Park, did a little grocery shopping and stopped by the library on the way back.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-07-14, 07:07 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK I'm lucky. Lucky, lucky, lucky! I rode/walked everywhere and anywhere. L. A. Baby!!
Old 03-09-14, 03:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We're on a bit of a hub and spoke tour this weekend. The car-free portions of the weekend are for exploratory purposes ... giving us a chance to see the area at a slower pace.

113.85 km on Day 2 of the tour.

See details on this weekend's Weekend Cycling Reports thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-March-8-9-10

Last edited by Machka; 03-15-14 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-09-14, 11:05 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Nothing too adventurous this last week - just the usual walking and biking to work and for errands. The early part of the week was very icy and treacherous, but now we've been hit with warm spring weather - it went into the low 40s today! I'm dying to take a long ride, but the roads are still bad. Maybe next weekend, if there's enough of a thaw.
Old 03-14-14, 08:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

It's been another week of lunchtime walks here, there and everywhere ... to do a little shopping, to visit my chiro, to find a scenic spot away from crowds of people to read quietly a bit while looking over the water and the yachts.

I've also been walking in the evenings ... to evening classes, on the treadmill, and tonight to do some night time photography. Rowan came along to keep me company and it was beautiful out there.

Old 03-14-14, 08:57 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I have just started doing geezer beginner intervals on my Schwinn Airdyne. The whole workout is only 5 minutes of torture.
Old 03-14-14, 09:45 AM
timmythology

Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday was a beautiful day in Portland, and the Sun poked it's head for the last few days. Taking my 8-speed out of the shed I rode down to my naturopath's for body work, and acupuncture. Than riding to the store for staples for lunches for work this weekend. I am finding it tedious to have turn over my shopping bag (empty messenger bag) to go into a store, that does not require other bags to be checked. Dropping the groceries at home, allowed me to switch to a more fun mode.

Taking Betty out for her run, she is up to a 30 minute trip, we spied a bike fair being offered by the PTA. We stopped at the bike fair to see what was going on, and allow Betty some children time.
One she was done we proceeded along so that I could exchange Betty for Wally. Wally really enjoys running along the bike, and it allows him to pull me along easier. He also really loves the bike path, where he can open it up and run with the wind. Out of nowhere (so they thought) I had spied a homeless camp along the mup and was able to see the two dogs start to charge out from under a cover. With a shout of paw forward and tales of zombies Wally I avoided any confrontation, and so with left turn proceeded one a different course for the day.

I did stop to appreciate that I have ridden all my various bikes this week, and for the purpose they were fitted for.
Old 03-15-14, 05:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by lenA
I have just started doing geezer beginner intervals on my Schwinn Airdyne. The whole workout is only 5 minutes of torture.
Try commercial intervals ... they'll keep you going for 30+ minutes.
Old 03-15-14, 05:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Training/sight-seeing ride today ... 84.83 km. Details found in link.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...h-15-16-a.html

Last edited by Machka; 03-15-14 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-17-14, 05:12 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I walked to the store to stock up on some stuff for my work lunches.
Old 03-19-14, 07:49 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I went looking for a couple of hills to climb after work. Pretty nice weather compared to last month.
Old 03-20-14, 04:31 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Nice weather today - low 40s and sunny - great for exploring! First, I rode the airport to check out the route - not bad! Then, I got lost and found the power plant. While I was out, I decided to ride up to Target to see if they had an item I was looking for. (They didn't.) 24.25 miles total...longest I've done in quite a while. Best of all, I got to see parts of my town I hadn't been to before.
Old 03-20-14, 04:51 PM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try commercial intervals ... they'll keep you going for 30+ minutes.
You'll have to explain to me what they are first
Old 03-21-14, 12:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by lenA
You'll have to explain to me what they are first
That's where you watch your favourite 30 or 60 minute show on TV. During the show you ride normally so that you can follow the show (and recover). During the commercials you ride as hard as you possibly can for the whole commercial.

30 or 60 minutes goes by in no time.
Old 03-21-14, 03:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Another week of lunchtime walks ... to run errands and to find a quiet place in the sun to relax. And of course my after-work walk to my night class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.