Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Cycling/Exercise/Sports Reports - Nov 15/16

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-14-14, 08:03 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2942 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts

This thread is mostly to chat about road cycling and/or the activities we do to keep in shape for road cycling.
So if you did any sort of long or short road ride, on any sort of bicycle, this weekend, tell us about it.

If you are normally a "roadie" but this weekend you went off road, feel free to talk about that too. Developing your off-road skills can improve your on-road handling.

If you did an indoor trainer or rollers or spinning workout, you can talk about that here too because, of course, those workouts maintain or increase our fitness levels for the next time we get out on the road.

If you did some other sport like ... weightlifting, canoeing, skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, walking or whatever it might be ... you are welcome to talk about those here too. We all know that crosstraining is beneficial to road cycling ... and the northern hemisphere folks may be moving into their crosstraining programs with winter coming on.
Let's talk about our cycling adventures ... and post pics if you've got them.

[HR][/HR]

Saturday -- we're talking about doing a ride in a rural area on the other side of town. Not sure which bicycles we'll use yet. I'm debating between ... my touring bicycle, my titanium bicycle, Machak, and our folding bicycles.
Old 11-15-14, 04:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- We cycled 37.24 km

We drove out to an old historic town on the other side of the city, Richmond, and started from there. It's a pleasant little town ... nice to cycle through while looking at the old buildings.

Just as we got to the edge of town we met the Mobart Mo Bros cycling into town on their Movember fund raising ride. Lots of waving all around!
Mobart Mo Bros » Moustache Riders

The next bit of road is narrow and a little bit busy, but the traffic was courteous. We turned right onto Tea Tree Road and began the long, but thankfully gradual climb to the top. After that we had a beautiful decent to our turn-off. Then another climb, followed by a wonderful descent pretty much all the way back.

The weather was lovely, although we had a headwind on the way out. Happily, that meant that we had a tailwind on the way back. It doesn't often happen that way ... but it's great when it does!

And we rode our touring road bicycles.
Old 11-15-14, 06:07 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post

We drove out to an old historic town on the other side of the city, Richmond, and started from there. It's a pleasant little town ... nice to cycle through while looking at the old buildings.

Just as we got to the edge of town we met the Mobart Mo Bros cycling into town on their Movember fund raising ride. Lots of waving all around!

The next bit of road is narrow and a little bit busy, but the traffic was courteous. We turned right onto Tea Tree Road and began the long, but thankfully gradual climb to the top. After that we had a beautiful decent to our turn-off. Then another climb, followed by a wonderful descent pretty much all the way back.

The weather was lovely, although we had a headwind on the way out. Happily, that meant that we had a tailwind on the way back. It doesn't often happen that way ... but it's great when it does!

Don't forget to mention again that it was all on the road. Complete with traffic! Even asphalt, and chipseal, and potholes and broken surfaces, and railways crossings, and a bit of gravel from the shoulder. And we rode some two-up paceline, then I dropped you up the hills, and we regrouped.

You know, all that stuff we do just about every weekend when we ride any of our bikes...
Old 11-15-14, 12:03 PM
Bradleykd

Bikes: '89 Eddy Merckx Professional, '12 Felt Z85, '16 Niner Air9 Carbon, '17 Ridley Noah

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No good scenery for me this morning. 10*F in KY this morning meant it was time to break out the trainer. Did the 20 minute FTP test on trainer road. Way too much sweat for winter, but I did increase my virtual FTP 12% over the start of last winter!

Old 11-15-14, 08:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Bradleykd View Post
No good scenery for me this morning.
I've seen that "scenery" many times when I lived in Canada.

But even here in Australia, we're working on setting up a workout area to include bicycles on trainers for days when it is wet and windy.
Old 11-15-14, 08:07 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Us ... with an opium poppy field behind ...

Some of the scenery we cycled through ...

Some of the local wildlife ...

The road ahead ...

The road behind ...

And of course, as usual, if you click the photos you'll be taken to a page full of yesterday's photos.

Last edited by Machka; 11-15-14 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 09:35 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
It's also worthwhile to point out that Richmond is the heart of road racing in Southern Tasmania. There are many out-and-back road races that start in Richmond and extend all the way out to the Midland Highway, or there are circuits along roads similar to those that we rode yesterday. And it's likely (although I am more conjecturing here) that Sky rider Matt Goss (a Tasmanian) has raced in club events on these roads in the past.

A few randonnees and quite a few tours I have done have passed through Richmond, too.

All up, an interesting historic town that also has a rich road cycling history.

As to the opium poppies, Tasmania has been the only state in Australia until recently that has allowed the crop to be grown -- Victoria and other states are now horning in on the idea after 30-plus years.

The poppies are harvested and sent to a processing plant in Port Fairy, Victoria, where it is made into various opiate products. There is occasional pilfering of the poppies for obvious reason, but despite the recent death of a German tourist in a campervan after ingesting a brew made from the flower, there is remarkably little abuse.
Old 11-16-14, 07:49 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 43 Posts
Rode from the city up Gorge Rd onto Corkscrew Rd to the church at top then back the same way.

Will Cadel Evans decimate the field next year as he did this year on Corkscrew ?

Old 11-16-14, 08:52 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I took Friday as a vacation day and a friend and I rode the 112k Goatneck Permanent route. It was supposed to be mostly cloudy in the morning and partly cloudy in the afternoon, but turned out as "completely cloudy" all day. But minimal wind. Temperature was 40 degrees F all ride, but we were dressed for it.

Saturday, there was a 300k brevet scheduled, but we had ridden the 400k version of that last week, the forecast was "cold and windy", so we opted for a 145k/90 mile route instead. We started at 10:00 AM for maximum warmth. Had a long cold plod into a strong headwind going south, then got a lot better when we started back north. One of our riders made her 10,000k in RUSA events for the year on this ride, so she's once again a "K-Hound". We finished right before dark. Once again, the forecast was cloudy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon, and the sun and warmth never showed up. It was starting to mist a little bit when we finished. I couldn't feel it, but could see it on my glasses.

Photo is of my riding companions yesterday, that's Brenda, Vickie, Sharon.
Old 11-16-14, 10:01 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday i relaxed and went to watch "interstellar" , it was a great movie.
Old 11-16-14, 10:55 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
Was supposed to lead a 75 mile ride, but caught some kind of bug

& spent almost all of Friday night to Sunday morning in bed.

The ride turned out well without me, & I probably lost a pound or two.
Old 11-16-14, 01:56 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday: 33 miles from san jose to sunnyvale with san tomas creek trail, with light winds. One powerbar and a five hour energy shot was all i needed. It was a good ride.
Old 11-16-14, 04:29 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ugh - long day! And kind of cold. Actually, the cold was quite tolerable (no wind, proper kit), but I was bummed that it kept so many others indoors or in their cars - it was rather lonely.

This is a popular spot to grab a bite/refreshment on probably the most popular bike route around. I've never been there when these racks weren't full or nearly so before. That was just before 8:00. When I got back for a late-ish lunch, a little after 1:00, there were three or four bikes.

The goal (achieved) was to ride to the top of Bear Mountain, more or less on the course of the Gran Fondo NY, which I signed up for next year. (GFNY returns a different way for something like 112 miles, I returned the way I came, for right about 90). Quite the challenge! Fortunately, Perkins Drive (the road up to the top) was closed to traffic. I've had a lot of trepidation over training on that part of the course, since the road is narrow, rough, with no shoulder to speak of. I saw one other cyclist, and three hikers, and a little bit of snow. Funny thing, though - no snow on the road at the top, just a few hundred yards near this sheltered/shady bit.

Last edited by kbarch; 09-29-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 09:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by jbchybridrider View Post
Rode from the city up Gorge Rd onto Corkscrew Rd to the church at top then back the same way.

Will Cadel Evans decimate the field next year as he did this year on Corkscrew ?
Reminds me of the climb up to Mt Buller in Victoria.
Old 11-16-14, 11:28 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sat: 30min on trainer to loosen the legs up since i hadn't been on the bike since Monday

Sun: 30mi fast-ish group ride in S. RI 40F that never really got warmer. still had a bunch of people come out and a strong front group that worked pretty well together and kept the speed going. Decided to attack one of the hills near the end and was feeling good about it until one of our 45+ racers took the inside line and showed me how it was done haha have to spice it up once in a while.
Old 11-17-14, 02:10 AM
BigC_82

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday, I went to after riding season potluck with my local roadie club as winter is upon us. We shared war stories and talked about trainer season. Which I got get my trainer setup to keep in shape.
Old 11-17-14, 04:58 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 43 Posts
Reminds me of the climb up to Mt Buller in Victoria.
It's steeper than the camera shows and I only stopped for the photo not coz I'm out of breath. The last time I rode up there I stopped regularly gasping.
Old 11-17-14, 08:08 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Saturday was a rare weekend work day so no bike riding. Sadly, I will have to work next Saturday as well. However, got out Sunday for a jaunt around Tampa and Davis Is. Great weather. I crossed path with another rider and we paced each other for a while. We had our speed up around the 19 - 21 mph.
Old 11-17-14, 10:33 AM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexaschwanden View Post
Sunday: 33 miles from san jose to sunnyvale with san tomas creek trail, with light winds. One powerbar and a five hour energy shot was all i needed. It was a good ride.
Hmmm what time? It was somewhat breeze on my ride up to Portola valley in the late morning.

43 miles powered by a bowl of Cheerios
Old 11-17-14, 12:16 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rode the Help Our Military Heroes Metric Century in South Florida Sunday. HOMH raises money to buy wounded vets like MSgt Brian Mast wheelchair accessible vans etc. 100% of proceeds go to vets, the overhead and management costs are paid by the people running the charity. The first picture is MSgt Mast, the second is a group picture of all veterans (myself included) on the ride.

Old 11-17-14, 12:19 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexaschwanden View Post
Dang I miss the bay area. Was stationed at Moffett back in the 80's - 90's and got back into mountain biking in Las Gatos, riding up the dam and then around the reservoir and up into the hills on the fire roads.
Old 11-17-14, 02:11 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Nishiki Competition, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Just a short ~30-mile loop around the East Bay hills in between family obligations. If you squint enough, you may barely be able to make out the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance. Beautiful day for a ride - partly sunny in the upper-60s.

Old 11-17-14, 04:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 69 Posts
Wow, what a wonderful day and marvelous ride this Sunday. The recent typhoon in the Pacific pushed the jet stream all the way up to Barrow, AK. The jet stream then dropped right over the PNW before heading down to Texas and bringing snow to Midland. It brought us unseasonably cold and dry air. We started this Sunday's ride with ice on the puddles in the parking lot.

We had three tandems and a bunch of singles. Our ride leader laid out a nice route, quite tandem friendly, 2000' of climbing in 43 miles, but none of it steep or arduous, followed by fun descents. It was some cold, especially in the valleys, but warmer and sunnier up top, which is the reverse of the usual. A temperature inversion gave us a freezing level at about 5500'. There was frost and ice on the sides of the road in the shade, but because the air has been so dry, there was no trace of frost or ice on the road. Perfect dry pavement all the way.

We stopped for a very long coffee, ice cream, and food break at an ice cream cafe. Some went to a cafe next door and got their helmet sized cinnamon roll, too large to even pick up and carry off. We stayed there a long time, which was great. No need to rush off in such beautiful weather, so we just hung out and enjoyed ourselves. Eventually we got going again and we led a few singles on a long downward trending roller romp. We regrouped and then one of our singles got on the front and just like the guy on a Keirin motorbike, pulled us all back to the brewery on the flat, turning the pedals slowly at 16-17 while our legs relaxed and recovered. Beer and conversation at the finish, as always.

So, another Perfect Ride™. It was tremendous fun, nothing but big grins at the finish. There's only the one rule: Show Up!
Old 11-17-14, 05:04 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday -- we didn't get out for a ride.

We're in the process of moving into our new place ...

Took possession at the end of August
Moved what little stuff we had here in Tasmania at the beginning of September
Arranged to have the rest of our stuff shipped from Victoria in late October
And it all arrived in early November

So the place is full of 1001 boxes ... and we figured we should really spend some time doing something about them.

Rowan spent the day downstairs working on a plan that will include general storage, bicycle storage, a workshop, and a training area. I spent the day upstairs doing mountains of laundry (love our wash machine, but I hang dry everything), unpacking and washing heaps of dishes (the dishwasher is a very nice feature), and moving boxes from here to there and I debate where to put stuff.

No cycling, but a whole day of standing, walking, lifting, carrying ...

And since I've found some of our weights ... I did a light upper body weights workout.
Old 11-17-14, 06:49 PM
Bradleykd

Bikes: '89 Eddy Merckx Professional, '12 Felt Z85, '16 Niner Air9 Carbon, '17 Ridley Noah

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777 View Post
I don't get bike lust too often, but that one buckled my knees. Nice ride!