Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Portage build, first ride, 650b first impressions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Portage build, first ride, 650b first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 10:23 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
I thought I'd share a few more pics now that I have the VO switchable dyno laced up to the front wheel along with my Supernova E3 mounted to the rack.

i ran out of black zip ties.

the makeshift bracket is a piece of fender hardware that came i believe with some VO fenders. It works nice, and also allows for me to have some lateral adjustment in where the light sits.

Eventually I will also run a rear light, the matching one that goes with the e3.
As for the hub, I like it so far. When turned off you can spin the wheel on the bike stand and there is no resistance. I will admit though with it on or off while riding the bike, I can't really tell the difference. That's a good thing but perhaps a case that the switchable part isnt necessary. On the stand however with the hub engaged there is clearly drag, so noticeable or not, its there.

anyway, i've very happy with the setup so far in my limited experience with it. The light is bright as heck and everything works together and does it's job.

Old 10-20-11, 10:27 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

so really the only thing the bike needs sorted out is a proper seat post binder bolt, and although it doesnt cause any issue, the rear fender needs to be attached behind the bb properly. I'm happy with everything else.

Old 10-20-11, 10:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
It's gorgeous. Can you describe the light output? Does it light up the road well enough for you go to 20 mph with confidence? How broad is the beam?

Do you think its location is ideal? It looks ideal to me, but I've never tried that position.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-20-11, 10:31 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Thanks!
i purchased the light to see my way on a pitch black tree covered night time bike trail in the middle of the woods and it performs that duty perfectly. it's easily the brightest light i've ever used. Not just a "be seen" light but a real headlight for a vehicle.

The location works well in that there is nothing obstructing it from doing what it needs to do, and it is low enough to be in a good spot. If anything I may need to be wary of where it is while moving the bike around my garage or on racks, but maybe not. We'll see.

Old 10-20-11, 10:39 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Do you happen to remember what bar tape you used on that build? I would love to get that kind of color for my Riv, which is sportin' green wrap now but it isn't quite as lively as yours.
Old 10-20-11, 10:45 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

its a random newbaums green I saw at my LBS. As it sits it has not been treated with shellack or anything.

Old 10-20-11, 10:45 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Nice work

I have zero experience with modern generator driven lights. Does the light maintain the same level of brightness, regardless how fast the wheel is spinning? Also, does the hub store any power so you can run the light while stopped?

I should probably do my own research on this...

I ask, because I currently run a Niterider HID, which is very bright, but requires charging. It would be nice to have a light that did not require charging the battery.
Old 10-20-11, 10:49 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

yes, it's always the same level of brightness. It does stay on while the wheel isnt moving. I'm not sure for how long. Again, I havent really been able to test this out much past riding around my 'hood at night a few times this week.

I used to have a niterider (non HID) with a battery and it was VERY bright. This is brighter.

Old 10-20-11, 11:27 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Nice work

I have zero experience with modern generator driven lights. Does the light maintain the same level of brightness, regardless how fast the wheel is spinning? Also, does the hub store any power so you can run the light while stopped?

I should probably do my own research on this...

I ask, because I currently run a Niterider HID, which is very bright, but requires charging. It would be nice to have a light that did not require charging the battery.
Roger,

I run a similiar set-up (E3 headlight w/ wired tailight & a Dyno hub) and the E3 has a standlight feature of about 4 minutes. It is very bright and replaced 2 halogen bulbed lights on my commuter bike. Most wired tailights now have standlight features as well. It is really nice to not have to remeber to charge any batteries and there are lights when ever you may need them.
Old 10-20-11, 11:37 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
yes, it's always the same level of brightness. It does stay on while the wheel isnt moving. I'm not sure for how long. Again, I havent really been able to test this out much past riding around my 'hood at night a few times this week.

I used to have a niterider (non HID) with a battery and it was VERY bright. This is brighter.
Originally Posted by fender1
Roger,

I run a similiar set-up (E3 headlight w/ wired tailight & a Dyno hub) and the E3 has a standlight feature of about 4 minutes. It is very bright and replaced 2 halogen bulbed lights on my commuter bike. Most wired tailights now have standlight features as well. It is really nice to not have to remeber to charge any batteries and there are lights when ever you may need them.
Thanks for schooling me on this, Gents.

Something to think about now that the days are shorter.
Old 10-20-11, 11:39 AM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Thanks for schooling me on this, Gents.

Something to think about now that the days are shorter.
Especially with the rainy weather... The past few days have been really nice though.
Old 10-20-11, 12:04 PM
fender1

Forgot to mention that the E3 maintains a full beam at about 4 mph & up. Below that you can get some flicker.
Old 10-20-11, 01:11 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
This is looking fantastic.
Old 10-20-11, 01:26 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
its a random newbaums green I saw at my LBS. As it sits it has not been treated with shellack or anything.
I think Newbaum calls it "Grass Green". It turns a pukey greenish brown with shellac; even clear shellac.
Old 10-20-11, 01:58 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I think Newbaum calls it "Grass Green". It turns a pukey greenish brown with shellac; even clear shellac.
good thing i hate the feel of shellac. I need some give, you you're picking up what i'm laying down.

Old 10-20-11, 02:00 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

btw, just got back from a 30 miler with this. Basically rolling hills with a few fast decents and lots of crappy washed out roads. Perfect for this bike and it did great. I didnt really feel any slower than I do on my 25mm tired bianchi. Well I did, but it wasnt because of the bike.

Old 10-20-11, 02:44 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
btw, just got back from a 30 miler with this. Basically rolling hills with a few fast decents and lots of crappy washed out roads. Perfect for this bike and it did great. I didnt really feel any slower than I do on my 25mm tired bianchi. Well I did, but it wasnt because of the bike.
You're lying. With tires that fat, you must have been going backwards on those descents.
Old 10-21-11, 08:19 AM
fender1

What psi are running in those tires?
Old 10-21-11, 10:29 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

yesterday i ran them in the mid 60's. I could go lower I think.

Old 11-24-11, 12:33 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

here's a few updated pics boasting its new Berthoud bag

Likes For -holiday76:
Old 11-24-11, 03:00 PM
fender1

Ready for a ride to the Kimberton Whole Foods!
Old 11-25-11, 01:58 AM
fubaru

Bikes: Nishiki Stony Point, 1998 K2 Proflex 4000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...As for the hub, I like it so far. When turned off you can spin the wheel on the bike stand and there is no resistance. I will admit though with it on or off while riding the bike, I can't really tell the difference. That's a good thing but perhaps a case that the switchable part isnt necessary. On the stand however with the hub engaged there is clearly drag, so noticeable or not, its there.
I recall reading a writeup on a high end generator hub (can't remember the brand) that said the energy required to overcome the resistance was the equivalent of climbing 5 feet in a mile.
Old 11-25-11, 08:36 PM
fender1

BTW,

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Bike-Brak.../dp/B002LG8QXE
Old 11-27-11, 12:55 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Very nicely executed. BTW, nice choice in drivetrain. I have an RB-1 with a 46x34 Deore XT crank and 9-speed 12-27, which will go about anywhere.
Old 04-27-12, 11:31 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Here's an updated pic of this bike. it's currently in city commute mode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.