Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Caught on cam: Bicycle crushed by tanker truck

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Caught on cam: Bicycle crushed by tanker truck

Old 07-12-18, 12:25 AM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Again, all front steering vehicles “off-track.” Even bicycles, which you can prove to yourself trivially.

-mr. bill
If you spent any time in this city watching people drive you'd understand the veracity of my original statement.
But you haven't so keep on chirping..........
Old 07-12-18, 01:31 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
As I said above "off-track" is a concept unimaginable to most of the general public. Possibly even to the driver of that rig. lol...
Any driver pulling a trailer from a country pickup driver to a big rig driver is aware that the trailer generally follows inside of the vehicle turn.
Again, all front steering vehicles “off-track.” Even bicycles, which you can prove to yourself trivially.
However, trailer off-tracking is not uniform with trailer types.

As I mentioned in another post a while ago, log truck trailers track much better than other big rig trailers (and, thus, are safer on narrow winding roads).

It is quite possible that a log truck could have made that turn without hopping the curb and crushing the woman's bike, although certainly they aren't without danger.

Last edited by CliffordK; 07-12-18 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 04:38 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
If you spent any time in this city watching people drive you'd understand the veracity of my original statement.
But you haven't so keep on chirping..........
Sorry, got out of town just before "Winter Storm Juno." In Vancouver BC for a bit, got out for another ride instead of lunch. Brought a camera this time.

-mr. bill
A month, but who’s counting....

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-12-18 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 10:21 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 949 Posts
A month, but who’s counting....

-mr. bill
Zero vision!
Old 07-12-18, 11:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
A very similar incident crushed a female cyclist to death, did it not?
This is a story from Minneapolis in 2011, Audrey (Kimberly Yeong Sil) Hull crushed by side-dumper on U of MN campus - https://www.twincities.com/2011/04/2...-in-dinkytown/

My take on this story - I understand the turning radius of heavy trucks because I drove them for years. But it's total BS to expect every road user to understand the room a heavy truck needs, it is the commercial drivers responsibility to know the space around their vehicle is clear and safe while driving on public streets.
Old 07-12-18, 12:31 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
The cyclist did nothing wrong. The only thing she is guilty of is her keen sense of her surroundings and quick response to an imminent threat. The lesson to be leaned here is no different than that of defensive driving: watch out for rogue drivers not paying attention to the road.
You're making the assumption the truck driver did not check his mirrors or is not paying attention. Humans are no where near perfect. Perhaps he did check his mirrors and honestly did not see her. Now what? This is why drivers are often not cited. We don't hang people for an honest accident. In public, nothing is 100%. Let's be adults here.

I would hang the truck driver IF the cyclist had cleared the front of the truck and then he had re-passed her and THEN right hooked her. That is negligence. But I don't think she passed him. She hung next to him. When I'm coming up onto a trucker, I look into his mirror to see if he sees me. If not, I'm staying behind.

She's riding along without a clue of what is going on. She put herself into that bad position. Hopefully she'll learn not to do that again, but I'm doubtful. Too many cyclists assume they are seen. As an operator of a vehicle that is much smaller, the majority of the responsibility for your safety, Is you.

When you're 6 feet under, it doesn't matter who's fault it is.
Old 07-12-18, 12:42 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by HBCruiser1
You're making the assumption the truck driver did not check his mirrors or is not paying attention. Humans are no where near perfect. Perhaps he did check his mirrors and honestly did not see her. Now what? This is why drivers are often not cited. We don't hang people for an honest accident. In public, nothing is 100%. Let's be adults here.
When I worked for UPS, they reinforced that there are no "accidents". Drivers had a one strike and out.
Old 07-12-18, 12:52 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
When I worked for UPS, they reinforced that there are no "accidents". Drivers had a one strike and out.
Good for them (pat on head). I'll continue to count on myself for my safety.
Old 07-12-18, 01:02 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Good for them (pat on head). I'll continue to count on myself for my safety.
Old 07-12-18, 01:19 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
What it means not to “see” something that is visible in one’s mirror or field of vision is an interesting question on the cognitive and ethical/legal levels. Just saying that, however, explains nothing and should not be considered exculpatory.
Old 07-12-18, 01:40 PM
CliffordK

My take on this story - I understand the turning radius of heavy trucks because I drove them for years. But it's total BS to expect every road user to understand the room a heavy truck needs
I suppose I'm sitting here wondering WHY one shouldn't expect road users to understand road safety.

I can remember warnings about trucks from long before I started driving.

I'm trying to think back to the State Driver's manual. Perhaps I'll snag another (new) copy.

I think most of it concentrated on the rules of the road. Signs, lanes, turning, etc.

However, it also needs a section on sharing the road with other road users (bikes, cars, trucks, etc). And, if half the road users have towed a trailer sometime, there should even be instruction on small trailers.
Old 07-12-18, 01:51 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I suppose I'm sitting here wondering WHY one shouldn't expect road users to understand road safety.

I'm trying to think back to the State Driver's manual. Perhaps I'll snag another (new) copy.

I think most of it concentrated on the rules of the road. Signs, lanes, turning, etc.

However, it also needs a section on sharing the road with other road users (bikes, cars, trucks, etc). And, if half the road users have towed a trailer sometime, there should even be instruction on small trailers.
I think he's referring specifically to the level of understeer shown in the OP, not that trucks aren't dangerous.

A friend of the family had his son's foot crushed by a semi trailer that went up over a curb. The driver knew they were waiting at this corner for the crosswalk and still managed to misjudge and send his rear wheels heading right for this kid. It is no different than the OP lady failing to realize that the rear of the truck wasn't going to follow the same line as the front.
Old 07-12-18, 02:01 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts

I got this in driver's ed....like... 40 years ago. We got all kinds of training about the "unwritten rules of the road", not just the legal stuff about speed limits and signs, but conventions, etiquette, how to analyze risk on the move, etc. It's ingrained in my mind, but I don't think "kids these days" (get off my lawn) get that in driver training anymore. I know in Texas there is a "parent taught" path to a drivers license, which means a student driver is only going to get the knowledge he or she has been exposed to growing up, and if the parents have holes in their driving knowledge, those same holes are passed down.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-12-18, 02:11 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Doohickie
I know in Texas there is a "parent taught" path to a drivers license, which means a student driver is only going to get the knowledge he or she has been exposed to growing up, and if the parents have holes in their driving knowledge, those same holes are passed down.
I learned from my parents. My grandfather drove a truck, so I got some safety tidbits from that too.

Oregon has a driver's manual one gets for free at the DMV, and I read it cover to cover... well... over 35 years ago. So, hopefully it filled in some of the holes in my parent's knowledge.

I know a few things have changed in my lifetime including new road markings (those triangle yield marks at roundabouts, as well as sharrows), so perhaps the kids getting some book knowledge too isn't a bad thing.
Old 07-12-18, 02:31 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I'm not talking about the nuts and bolts like road markings. Yes, those are covered by the book. I'm talking about the stuff you learned from your grandfather. The driver's ed course I took included a lot of that kind of information- not just the nuts and bolts, but all the why's and how's. Things that, while maybe not illegal, are still things to be avoided. Or things that are not mandatory, but good practices.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-12-18, 02:36 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Doohickie
I'm not talking about the nuts and bolts like road markings. Yes, those are covered by the book. I'm talking about the stuff you learned from your grandfather. The driver's ed course I took included a lot of that kind of information- not just the nuts and bolts, but all the why's and how's. Things that, while maybe not illegal, are still things to be avoided. Or things that are not mandatory, but good practices.
I don't see how grandpa's driving lore and driver's ed are going to impact the habits of cyclists and pedestrians when many of them don't have driver's licenses.
Old 07-12-18, 07:09 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
A pitiful excuse and a poor consolation for someone crushed under your truck wheel. Had your legs been crushed would that excuse work for you? Nothing should take away your responsibly to operate a vehicle of that size safely.

I would hang the truck driver IF the cyclist had cleared the front of the truck and then he had re-passed her and THEN right hooked her. That is negligence. But I don't think she passed him. She hung next to him. When I'm coming up onto a trucker, I look into his mirror to see if he sees me. If not, I'm staying behind.

She's riding along without a clue of what is going on. She put herself into that bad position. Hopefully she'll learn not to do that again, but I'm doubtful. Too many cyclists assume they are seen. As an operator of a vehicle that is much smaller, the majority of the responsibility for your safety, Is you.

When you're 6 feet under, it doesn't matter who's fault it is.
She knew enough to get out of the way. Stop blaming the victim. There's nothing for her to learn. She's alive and well due solely to her observation and quick response to what could have been a catastrophic accident -- no thanks to the clueless tanker driver. In this scenario, its the driver that need to learn a lesson.
Old 07-12-18, 10:28 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
This is a story from Minneapolis in 2011, Audrey (Kimberly Yeong Sil) Hull crushed by side-dumper on U of MN campus - https://www.twincities.com/2011/04/2...-in-dinkytown/

My take on this story - I understand the turning radius of heavy trucks because I drove them for years. But it's total BS to expect every road user to understand the room a heavy truck needs, it is the commercial drivers responsibility to know the space around their vehicle is clear and safe while driving on public streets.
It wasn't that one but it shows it happens.

What i notice about your trucks is the rear axles are set so close to the end of the trailer. So they have a particularly long wheelbase, and therefore a large turning circle. Over here, ours tend to have very long rear overhangs, with the axles far closer to the front.
This helps trucks turn in tighter spaces (essential for our relatively smaller roads) although it does create major tail-swing. That's also a science some are unaware of, and so in the case of driving on the right, a truck turning right isn't the only danger - a cyclist riding kerbside can also have their door shut by a truck turning left!
Old 07-13-18, 08:40 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I don't see how grandpa's driving lore and driver's ed are going to impact the habits of cyclists and pedestrians when many of them don't have driver's licenses.
And although not driving has many things to recommend it, never having been trained to to do so (which is not entirely uncommon here in NYC) can mean a serious lack of perspective.

Of course walk a mile in the other person's shoes goes both ways: perhaps commercial driving school should require a day of roadway biking experience.
Old 07-13-18, 09:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

As others have stated, a person on bike or foot may not have a drivers licence and may never have taken a driver's ed course.

When I had a CDL, it was an unwritten rule to expect other road users to fail to understand what it takes to maneuver a commercial truck (turning, braking, accelerating, blind-spots... ) Frankly, there's a good reason for a CDL, commercial trucks require a lot more skill/knowledge to drive safely than the basic motor vehicle. Kinda kills me to see how easy it is for anybody to get a UHaul or RV and just drive down the road.

There should be better education for all road users about unique needs of diverse vehicles on the road (bicycle, motorcycle, trucks, semis, ... ). But that's not the country we live in, so it's up to us to educate each other.
Old 07-13-18, 09:32 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
And although not driving has many things to recommend it, never having been trained to to do so (which is not entirely uncommon here in NYC) can mean a serious lack of perspective.

Of course walk a mile in the other person's shoes goes both ways: perhaps commercial driving school should require a day of roadway biking experience.
And let's make bicyclists spend a day driving an 18 wheeler around in town making deliveries. While the CDL applicants are riding around on bikes trying to avoid them. That, I would pay good money to see. O the carnage. . . .
Old 07-13-18, 09:38 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Usually a good truck driver will turn around and look out his rear window, in this case look over his right shoulder, to see where the trailer is tracking... like how much of the curb he would hit/miss. Can't see this in the mirror. Apparently he didn't do this. If he did he would have seen the biker. Fail for him.
Biker shouldn't have been riding along side.... should've hung back. Fail for her... but she lived, and will probably never ride next to truck again.
Old 07-13-18, 10:09 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Here's a longer video showing the rider in the bike lane passing before the truck signaled. It's impossible to know the riders position when the truck signaled and started his turn (sorry if this was posted early, I didn't take time to look for other postings)

Watching this video is terrifying every. single. time.

For those that have never been in the cab of a truck, here's a demo of the blind spots for a driver (UK video)

And here's best practices from CyclingSavvy:

Old 07-13-18, 10:32 AM
Kontact

The longer video makes it really obvious that the cyclist couldn't have seen a signal from the truck, and was lucky she wasn't closer to the cab when he turned.

I guess the only thing to do is simply never pass on the right, even in a bike lane.
Old 07-13-18, 12:10 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
It's undertaking, pure and simple. The difference is the cyclist has got their own lane, and that's what creates the false sense of security i mentioned earlier. You're simply cycling on a road, the so-called cycle lane means absolutely nothing, and should be treated that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.