Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

1994 Rocky Mountain Vapor Project

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 08:42 AM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts

Good COVID project, typically I get a chance to save at least one good bike from the dumpster in Birch Bay Washington (USA) for free, where I have a summer trailer, but living in Vancouver Canada I haven’t been able to go there since March. Feeling bored & wanting a project I started cruising local Craigslist and noticed a sweet Rocky Mountain for $250 CAD in very good shape with full Deore LX (I already have a 93’ Kona Kilauea, 91’ Bianchi Sika, 94’ Specialized Stumpjumper & 96’ GT Zaskar so don’t really need another 90s MTB) . I could have sworn I’d recommended it to a friend a couple months back when reading it had been posted three days ago (my friend was not interested). I think that low seat height and sad looking comfort saddle threw buyers off? I low balled the seller with $150 stating I knew it had been on the market for a couple months, he countered $175 and we had a deal. The Marzocchi XC51 was kind of intriguing but basically a pogo stick (holds air but must have lost all oil) I may rebuild it if I can figure out how to. I wanted a rigid fork and thought “no problem, I can find a used fork for less than $50”, nope! Very few forks were available and good ones not cheap. I was looking for a 410mm axle to crown corrected unit as the XC51 measured about that without any sag. I then came across a grail fork: Rocky Mountain Tange Prestige Superlight for $120 on CL. Was only able to get the seller down to $110. Then the steerer ended up being ¼” too short & it’s only 395mm axle to crown. Took a chance that it would not negatively impact the geometry. Hmm, what if I defile the frame? So.. not sure what others will think but ended up hack sawing the top of the headtube ¼”. Have to say I did a good job IMHO, started with a brand new blade holding it in my bare hand (after marking it with a caliper referencing the original top edge) took my time and then added the blade holder to finish, followed but a file. Had to add some paint to the cut area as the upper cup of the Ritchey Logic headset does not sit down tight and the cut seemed more visable. See from the pictures and let me know if you think it was a mistake, I’m quite happy, the fork is 720g and finishes the bike IMHO. So, $285 for a sweet Rocky Mountain? Not too bad in my Vancouver market, I found the old 1994 RM catalog, the Vapor was a mid range model, built to be tough, the frame is reasonably light at 4lb 10oz and looks hardly used, I put on a 170g Zoom bar, polished the Ritchey seatpost (was black) and through on an XT M735 RD, the bike as it sits is just over 24lbs. Took it for a ride last night and man, it’s a sweet ride! I’m confident the Superlight fork takes a lot of the credit compared to how it would ride with that Marzocchi. I now have my first Rocky Mountain! In the 90s a friend bought a Blizzard (around 1990 I think) & I’ve always wanted one.

As Purchased:

After Refurbish:

Old 10-18-20, 10:20 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
I shudder to think I used to ride "the shore" on hardtails that pre-date even that dinosaur! lol.....
Old 10-19-20, 08:08 AM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Originally Posted by tungsten
I shudder to think I used to ride "the shore" on hardtails that pre-date even that dinosaur! lol.....
I was riding Burnaby Mountain on a fully rigid Ritchey Ascent in the early 2000s until getting a 6 & 6 Kona, what a revaluation it was switching to it. Later ditched the mid level Rockshox fork for a high end Fox fork

I love my collection of 90s mountain bikes though, kind of the early version of gravel bike?
Old 10-19-20, 08:10 AM
retrodude

Originally Posted by retrodude
I was riding Burnaby Mountain on a fully rigid Ritchey Ascent in the early 2000s until getting a 6 & 6 Kona, what a revaluation it was switching to it. Later ditched the mid level Rockshox fork for a high end Fox fork

I love my collection of 90s mountain bikes though, kind of the early version of gravel bike?
And still riding it! Feel no need to upgrade, especially since I upgarded nearly every component eight years ago LOL
Old 10-19-20, 06:32 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
[QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

Omg omg omg,....that stem OMG!

That thing needs.... https://nsmb.com/articles/works-components-angleset/

Last edited by tungsten; 10-19-20 at 06:35 PM.