Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

VeloBase.com down or gone?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

VeloBase.com down or gone?

Old 08-17-20, 09:36 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Seconded (thirded? a millionth'ed?)

Also, I sent a few bucks via Paypal. I encourage everyone to do the same.
Ditto'ed...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 08-20-20, 04:41 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

Giving the home page a little love tonight, the new and much improved photo upload tool is also just about finished up. (Don't worry, this is still a work in progress, it'll be way cleaner - and Section 4 will be done too)

Hope to have the new updates out on the server by the end of the weekend. Thanks for all who have donated in the last few weeks.
Old 08-20-20, 04:42 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Originally Posted by ascherer
(ahem) Coffee blog? Do tell...
my apologies for the super late reply - Coffee Cantata ? Coffee: Music in a cup!
Old 08-20-20, 04:52 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
my apologies for the super late reply - Coffee Cantata ? Coffee: Music in a cup!
She has good taste in coffees.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 09-11-20, 04:09 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
When I scroll to the bottom, to the list of subsequent numbered pages or 'next" and click on those, to go to the next page (or whichever page I want to view in that category), nothing happens
Yeah, it's been doing this to me for about a week or two. I've been circumventing (sort of) this problem by searching for the component and velobase in my browser. Not ideal.
Old 09-11-20, 06:00 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Anyone else having issues accessing pages on Velobase?

On the main page, I go to the "By Category" dropdown menu, and I click on any subcategory, front derailleurs for example.
That takes me to the page 1 of front derailleurs.
When I scroll to the bottom, to the list of subsequent numbered pages or 'next" and click on those, to go to the next page (or whichever page I want to view in that category), nothing happens. The page does not load, doesn't even show that the page even tries to load. In the "mouse-over" preview, it shows 'javascript:GetPage(3);' (if I want to look at page 4, for example). This happens in every category.
It also happens if I search for a specific component/group, and there is more than one page of search results.

I did not have this problem before recent Velobase site updates. This problem occurs on my desktop (Chrome, Firefox), iPhone (Safari), iPad (Firefox, Chrome, Safari), all up to date, and no settings have been changed on any of my devices.
I am not logged in to Velobase, never needed to be logged in to search around before, and I do not have an account.
I do not have Velobase "bookmarked" or saved (not accessing Velobase through a bookmark or saved link).

I tried submitting an email through the "Contact Us", but when I hit submit I got a server error message.
I also get a server error message when I click on "FAQ & Help" and "Announcements".

Thoughts? Anyone else?

Same issue here!
Old 09-11-20, 07:16 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Anyone else having issues accessing pages on Velobase?

On the main page, I go to the "By Category" dropdown menu, and I click on any subcategory, front derailleurs for example.
That takes me to the page 1 of front derailleurs.
When I scroll to the bottom, to the list of subsequent numbered pages or 'next" and click on those, to go to the next page (or whichever page I want to view in that category), nothing happens. The page does not load, doesn't even show that the page even tries to load. In the "mouse-over" preview, it shows 'javascript:GetPage(3);' (if I want to look at page 4, for example). This happens in every category.
It also happens if I search for a specific component/group, and there is more than one page of search results.

I did not have this problem before recent Velobase site updates. This problem occurs on my desktop (Chrome, Firefox), iPhone (Safari), iPad (Firefox, Chrome, Safari), all up to date, and no settings have been changed on any of my devices.
I am not logged in to Velobase, never needed to be logged in to search around before, and I do not have an account.
I do not have Velobase "bookmarked" or saved (not accessing Velobase through a bookmark or saved link).

I tried submitting an email through the "Contact Us", but when I hit submit I got a server error message.
I also get a server error message when I click on "FAQ & Help" and "Announcements".

Thoughts? Anyone else?
Yes same here.
Old 09-11-20, 09:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've noticed a few click-throughs to the next page occasionally don't work. And occasional security warnings, but that happens with many sites. Seems to be as much a browser issue as a website issue. Overall Velobase has been accessible on my end. I've consulted it a lot the past couple of weeks while I'm building up a couple of frames, trying to figure out which bits of my many mismatched parts might work well together.
Old 11-15-20, 09:34 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Try a PM to cuda2k, who responded earlier in this thread. John is admin for VeloBase. He travels a lot for his new love, photography.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-15-20, 09:46 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
I guess it's a labor of love that just got too big. It's one thing when it's something you put together because you love bike parts and get to help your friends and have your friends help, it's another thing when it's your business to maintain that site and database. I wouldn't refer to Velobase as a "business."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-15-20, 10:13 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Right now, Velobase is frustratingly unusable without having to do a bunch or work-arounds to try to find information.
Those who find the information offered by Velobase useful should consider donating some cash to their effort. There is a link at the bottom of the sidebar to do just that. I know that we are all cheapskates here but if everybody that ever used the site contributed a couple of bucks I'll bet it could be debugged sooner! I'm not suggesting a subscription model, just users who contribute towards the project.
Old 11-15-20, 10:35 AM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
So I am still experiencing the same issuses as laid out above. Is there anyone here who can address this, or anyone know a way to ask whoever "runs" velobase about what's going on? Will this ever be addressed or fixed?
Right now, Velobase is frustratingly unusable without having to do a bunch or work-arounds to try to find information.
If I visit the site as a guest, page tabs don't work for me either. But if I log in under my user name everything works just fine.
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Old 11-15-20, 11:12 AM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
Thanks for the tips about logging in! I've been puzzled by the page tabs not working for a while now, and have been resorting to the "quick search" function which seems to work fine.

Logging in as a user, and now the page tabs work great.

Also served as a good reminder to me to make my annual donation to this amazing site. What a resource for the hobby, and worth supporting. If we all just donated the price of a cup of coffee and a donut, the site would be in good shape!

N
Likes For no67el:
Old 11-24-20, 04:29 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by no67el
Thanks for the tips about logging in! I've been puzzled by the page tabs not working for a while now, and have been resorting to the "quick search" function which seems to work fine.

Logging in as a user, and now the page tabs work great.

Also served as a good reminder to me to make my annual donation to this amazing site. What a resource for the hobby, and worth supporting. If we all just donated the price of a cup of coffee and a donut, the site would be in good shape!

N
Hey, just finally tracked down that problem and it should have been fixed yesterday. Apologies for it taking so long to get sorted out.
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 11-25-20, 10:32 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Hey, just finally tracked down that problem and it should have been fixed yesterday. Apologies for it taking so long to get sorted out.
You done good. Take the rest of the week off.

Old 11-27-20, 04:26 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
You done good. Take the rest of the week off.
Once I found it, it was a somewhat embarrassingly simple fix to make.
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 11-27-20, 10:48 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Once I found it, it was a somewhat embarrassingly simple fix to make.
Some of the software I deal with at work has "bugs" I recognize from my classes in Visual Basic 4, i.e. 1998. They're inconsequential, so the company has never dealt with them. If it works, don't fix it.

Likes For Jeff Wills: