Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 or SRAM RED eTAP?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 or SRAM RED eTAP?
Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
67.65%
SRAM RED eTAP
32.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 or SRAM RED eTAP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-21, 07:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I just skimmed this thread. Hilarious!

I understand someone looking for the best option...But for anyone who came of age in the era of five-speed freewheels and such, this argument is a bit like debating whether a Lamborghini is superior to a Ferrari.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-31-21, 10:22 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
You mad Bro? Never used a question mark, just said your reasoning sounded odd. I mentioned I didn’t care to give an out.
nope. Just direct.
Old 02-01-21, 12:36 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

I understand someone looking for the best option...But for anyone who came of age in the era of five-speed freewheels and such, this argument is a bit like debating whether a Lamborghini is superior to a Ferrari.
I'd say, its more like difference between a regular Ferrari and its more pedestrian California model. The latter (the way I understand it) is way more easier on maintenance in longer term ownership for the regular owner, while those other more racing like Ferraris become a headache down the road to keep them up maintenance wise, unless you have deep pockets.

In this respect, eTap is like that regular Ferrari and Di2 its California version, that is as far as their 'practicality' goes. Performance wise, it is probably the reverse.

eTap has the racier looks, cleaner cockpit, Di2 looks like the regular mechanical shifting, maybe even worse due to the visible cable connectors.

Last edited by vane171; 02-01-21 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 02:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

Porsche.
Old 02-01-21, 02:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
eTap has the racier looks, cleaner cockpit, Di2 looks like the regular mechanical shifting, maybe even worse due to the visible cable connectors.
Di2 is the "safe" choice

Like buying a Camry vs M5. (¬j/k)
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-01-21, 09:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Having ridden Ultegra Di2 for many years now I can say I have no reason to switch to ScRAM. I charge only a handful of times a year (probably just to keep a schedule more than anything) and it works quite nicely. The SRAM system just doesn't seem as exciting to me. Wireless sounds really cool but in practice you need a way to power those devices and so more batteries and I don't need 4 batteries on my bike just the one is fine. Easy to charge and deal with.

I will say the ergonomics of the non-hydrualic SRAM levers are excellent but honestly playing around with eTap I wasn't that impressed.
Old 02-01-21, 10:03 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
... this argument is a bit like debating whether a Lamborghini is superior to a Ferrari.
Uh - no it is not. There is a difference. One is AWD the other RWD. I was told a week ago by some group cyclist that my son said "I hope I enjoy flight fighters as much as cycling". Cycling and flying fighters might compete for enjoyment, but they are different. SRAM and Di2 are different. Blind folded (on the back of a tandem for safety of course) I could tell what was being used. I know both quite well, I know the DA better and buy more of that. Beyond the electronics the one that works better with cables also works better with electronics.

If you like light new and inovative and pushing the edge but not tried and true - go SRAM.
If you like tested, harder to install, a wee heavier with crisp and smooth shifts and brakes there should be no doubt which to go with.
Likes For Doge:
Old 02-01-21, 10:03 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Di2 is the "safe" choice

Like buying a Camry vs M5. (¬j/k)
More like a Camry vs Chevrolet Malibu.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-02-21, 03:12 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I run into the same psychological barrier with eTap / Di2 that I do with e-Bikes: concern. I'm not anti- (and have strong reasons for wanting an e-Bike) but *skeptical.*

My thinking says: this electronic shifting sounds tremendous. And I have a friend whom I greatly respect (thousands of miles away) - and often agree with - who loves it.

And then I think: how many times have I forgotten to charge a battery? (Answer: more than I feel good about admitting). A sport watch; a tail-light; my phone (yipes bcos as we all know it's now our primary piece of emergency gear these days). And I have had things 'not work as designed.' Needed a firmware update (KICKR CORE) or what have you.

And all I can think is: the more variables introduced into an equation, the more that can go wrong.

I think I'm hearing that Di2 has made it to that 'very stable' part of the product life where there aren't lots of issues; it works as designed, pretty much out of gate. And then I think "terrific ... maybe I'll be able to purchase a bike with Di2 in 2024 or something."

All the while, SRAM's available. But I hate the looks, and ... well: Bauke Mollema Principle (Effing SRAM).

Bewildering for someone who wants to make the leap.
Old 02-04-21, 08:41 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I’m curious from the longtime SRAM users; what does the contact point between battery and unit look like? Could there be a longer term challenge in pulling the batteries to charge regularly and wear?

just like my Garmin has had problems after a few years of being plugged and unplugged so often that it eventually gets worn enough the it doesn’t always charge.

I haven’t had that happen with my shimano yet and the actual plug in seems insulated but if I were to have a problem it would be resolved with a new junction box.

is this a non issue?
Old 02-04-21, 03:20 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The SRAM AXS batteries don't plug in. There are two stationary contacts on the battery and two spring loaded pins, with a significant length of travel, on the derailleurs and 3 pins on the battery charger. Those pins push against the flat surface of the battery contacts. If those pins ever quit moving, then there would be a problem. It's not likely that the batteries will need to be charged more than 10-15 times a year, so I would expect a long life.

Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 02-05-21, 01:44 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I’m curious from the longtime SRAM users; what does the contact point between battery and unit look like? Could there be a longer term challenge in pulling the batteries to charge regularly and wear?

just like my Garmin has had problems after a few years of being plugged and unplugged so often that it eventually gets worn enough the it doesn’t always charge.

I haven’t had that happen with my shimano yet and the actual plug in seems insulated but if I were to have a problem it would be resolved with a new junction box.

is this a non issue?
they're spring pins as noted above. That’s a pretty common sort of connection in electronics. Often you something similar to them in “bed of nails” production testers for electronic assemblies/components that see thousands upon thousands of connections. It’s not an issue.
Old 02-06-21, 12:42 PM
jbasirico
Mitochondriac

Bikes: Fezzari Empire SL, BMC Roadmachine 03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have both Ultegra Di2 and Force AXS and they're both awesome. The Ultegra Di2 is on a road bike. I chose it because it's rock solid, cheaper, and lighter than AXS. The Force AXS is on a gravel bike and I chose it because the AXS big shifter buttons work a little better with winter gloves on than the small Di2 buttons, the gearing available with Force AXS is much wider than what you can get with Ultegra, and AXS rear derailleur has a clutch on it. I will say that it took a bit of fiddling to get the AXS front derailleur exactly right (I had a couple chain drops as it was installed from the factory). But since I I got it dialed in and also added a chain catcher, the front derailleur has been perfect for several hundred miles now.

I think the price difference alone makes Di2 (specifically, Ultegra) the hands-down better choice over AXS unless you have to install it yourself or have other reasons to choose AXS (as described above). Unless the prices have changed since I last bought one.