Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Can't take cogs off freewheel

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Can't take cogs off freewheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 11:53 PM
afc888ny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Can't take cogs off freewheel

On the recently popular 11-34T Drift Maniac, some of the vendors on ebay(DRIFT MANIAC E-Bike Freewheel 7 Speeds 11-28/11-34T Teeth EPOCH) selling this claim that after you take the freewheel off the wheel, it is possible to take off some of the cogs to convenience replacement (of worn down cogs). BTW, I have a 7 speed frame.

I doubt the vendors are telling the truth, since I have already first taken all the cogs off of the Shimano MF-TZ21 freewheel with a pair of chainwhips, and then after attempting awhile on the Drift Maniac E-Bike Freewheel, it doesn't work.

But why doesn't the outermost cog budge at all? I feel it is obviously the black ring/washer thing that seems to be screwed on top of the highest cog(11T). Really too bad bikeforums.net can't upload pictures, or I would have uploaded a really nice 57 KB png picture. (I pressed on paperclip and/or picture icons in menu bar just below the "Message", Upload files, browse from my device, select directory and then target png picture, then you arrive at a blank white page entitled "Alert"). Anyway, this annoying outer washer ring is right on top of the top cog, and has 6 notches equal in distance around the washer. No where online is there any such crazy tool advertised.

There are several forums/online that will talk about how to take the freewheel off the wheel with a 12 spindle tool. This is really too easy, I originally already knew how take the freewheel off of the wheel. Please don't misread this question to be taking the freewheel off the wheel, because this is simply not my question. What I want to do is take the cogs off of the freewheel.

Taking a bird's eye view, this company has a really bad review "DNP EPOCH FREEWHEEL 11-30T and Freewheel Removal Tool" by Sterling W on youtube, I mean their own tool for their own product doesn't even fit. Ridiculous! Too bad ebike's rear hub motors only come with a freewheel screw on.

A freewheel (designed for bikes with lower max speeds and light riding) and an ehub together, it's literally a match made in HELL!

Last edited by afc888ny; 04-06-21 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 06:44 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Consult the master

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html
Old 04-06-21, 07:36 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
Hard (for me) to understand your question, but if you're trying to separate the individual cogs of a freewheel, there are various methods. I did it several years ago; AIR the individual cogs were held together by three thin bolts. I think in one other case we removed the smallest cog and the rest came off. AFAIK, all freewheels can be separated, but I've only done it to a couple. Probably there's another forum where there are individuals who are more well versed; just don't tell them it's for an "e" bike.
Old 04-06-21, 07:37 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
You will probably find a new freewheel is not very expensive. Why not just replace it?
Old 04-06-21, 07:44 AM
afc888ny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post I already knew that

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Consult the master

<The sheldon Brown article url would be here but regular members don't have the authority to post urls>
Article provided only describes basic info that I already am clear about. I am facing a specific problem described, more namely the outer lock-ring that is on top of the highest cog, which locks it in place.
Old 04-06-21, 07:59 AM
afc888ny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb environmentalism

Originally Posted by alo
You will probably find a new freewheel is not very expensive. Why not just replace it?
Fight planned obsolescence!

Part of putting pressure on the upper classes to not make decisions that negatively impact the environment and waste consumer's time is giving your money to manufacturers which don't manufacture products that are "Defective by Design", hence taking money away from ones who do. Thus consuming isn't just consuming but a form of political pressuring and moral practice. Read more on defective by design dot org.

However, in the case there are NO other Solutions, then you have no other choice but to temporarily go with the flow and remain aware for future opportunities to fight planned obsolescence businesses.

Furthermore, this is an ebike rear ehub, so I don't have the freedom to purchase a compatible freehub and remake my wheel. Using a freewheel cogset is set in stone. ebikes are used for transportation, a political statement(more specifically the micro transportation revolution) and a little for exercise, so you are riding it everyday. Since it is an ebike you are driving it at 17-20 mph far more that non-ebike. Freewheels provided by manufacturers only providing 14T-28T simply are inadequate with present needs of ebikes.

Last edited by afc888ny; 04-06-21 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 09:41 AM
afc888ny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking more specifications

Originally Posted by 2old
Hard (for me) to understand your question, but if you're trying to separate the individual cogs of a freewheel, there are various methods. I did it several years ago; AIR the individual cogs were held together by three thin bolts.
Again it is a shame this website only allows special users the right of posting pictures, but this specific freewheel doesn't have any such bolts. The question is a specific one; there is a washer with 6 concave notches on its outer rim(going inwards toward the center of washer/ring) on top of the high most cog. It probably is locking it there and has no notches from the inside, thus you can't insert some wrench into the whorl and loosen the outer lockring(like often the case with cassette cogsets, ones more specifically where you insert a specified wrench into the whorl and the spindles turn the top lock washer loose), unless this model is a total anomaly and should be unscrewed from the underside, it would most likely be a tool that has 6 protruding teeth on the inside to circumvent the 35 mm diameter outer lockring.
I think in one other case we removed the smallest cog and the rest came off.
In the original post I described how I have already taken apart the Shimano MF-TZ21 freewheel, but I didn't mention specifically that I simply just used the two chain whips to twist the top cog off to free the other cogs and spacers. I originally thought that this was self evident, but if you feel that way I guess I will have to work on my description skills to specify more fully.
just don't tell them it's for an "e" bike.
This exposes a problem which alot of people with ebikes have, that is corporations even chain bike shops organize against self made ebikes(regular bike + ebike kit + your hard work and excellent training). This is a type of "sneaky" climate denial, which fits into 2016 Vice Presidential Candidate Ajamu Baraka's political categorization "soft right", parallel with how Joe Biden stalled/smeared some youth climate activists at the end of 2020. Also it is the status quo/oligarchy protecting itself. Sure, 80% of bike shops near New Brunswick, NJ will refuse servicing ebikes for the legal liability reasons, but this is just a façade for them slacking on their social responsibility to fight for a better planet.

Probably there's another forum where there are individuals who are more well versed;
Any recommendations of other forums?

AFAIK, all freewheels can be separated, but I've only done it to a couple.
I doubt lower end manufacturers would allow users to do this, if so they wouldn't profit and then make less in Q1. But I have a good experience with Shimano so far though.

Last edited by afc888ny; 04-06-21 at 09:51 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-06-21, 10:08 AM
2old

Try bicycle mechanics here or look for something at MTBR.

In socal, where I reside, all of the local shops that I'm aware of (and I know a ton) sell e-bikes. Have never had a problem with service in the few instances where it was needed.

Not special users, just need 10 posts, so start something at bicycle mechanics and you'll be there in no time. I've found this forum, with a few exceptions that I "ignore", to have extremely congenial, helpful, knowledgeable individuals.
Old 04-06-21, 10:19 AM
afc888ny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention that before I first oiled the outer lock-washer, then used a screwdriver and hammer to try to chisel the thing off. But it didn't even budge.
Old 04-06-21, 11:06 AM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Old 04-06-21, 03:29 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by afc888ny
Article provided only describes basic info that I already am clear about. I am facing a specific problem described, more namely the outer lock-ring that is on top of the highest cog, which locks it in place.
There is a section in the Sheldon Brown link describing how to disassemble the freewheel. He talks at length about the different notches between European and Japanese freewheels. You might need a tool rather than hammer and screw drivers.

Maybe yours is different, or did you just miss that section about using a freewheel vice?

BTW new members can't post pictures or links until they get to I think 10 posts. No real conspiracy. Keep posting and you too will become a "special user". They also limit the number of posts in a day by new users, so it make take some time.
Old 04-06-21, 03:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I don't know your freewheel. Is the smallest cog screw on? If yes, do you ride on it? Do you ride on it at full power? If yes to all three, you've screwed this cog tight with more muscle than you have in your body so it will take more muscle to unscrew it. Time to get a bigger wrench (and do a good job of lubing the threads with a long lasting grease for next time).
Old 04-06-21, 04:32 PM
2old

Remember, Aristotle said he could lift the world if he could make a lever long enough. Not quite true, but something to think about when removing a difficult gear. Sometimes, sharp raps with a hammer work wonders.
Old 04-29-21, 02:04 AM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Your first mistake was trusting statements from a vendor on ebay. Better to find a reputable source even if it means paying a little bit more and save yourself some grief. I believe in supporting local bike shops as it helps them to keep their doors open and then they are available when I need their assistance, knowledge, or special shop tools.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 04-29-21, 09:27 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Most low end freewheels that I have dealt with are all one piece. Cassettes have individual cogs for the smallest gear.

I you are running a powerful mid drive motor then the freewheel is very likely tightened over torqued.
Old 05-01-21, 06:08 AM
Pop N Wood

Weird. The guy comes on asking for help, insults the people who attempt to help, goes into a rant than drops his own thread.