Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Norco Avanti SL

Old 04-14-21, 07:38 PM
Topless68

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Moutain Solo CXR, 1985 Norco Avanti SL, 2004 Raleigh Tomahawk ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Norco Avanti SL

Hi, looking to scoop this bad boy up. Its a few hours drive from my place, but it appears to be the right size frame for me (22" frame, 31"-ish standover), and not made from "low end" hi-ten steel. Not sure of the year...1982 perhaps. Made with Ishiwata EX Cromoly tubing, suntour derailleurs. new saddle and bar tape.
I'm expecting to replace the tires, but seller states frame is good, rims are straight (27"). Not fond of the plastic platform pedals, but easy change. listed for $150 CDN.

I'm a clyde, should I be worried about the durability of this frame under my 250lbs body?

Old 04-15-21, 05:30 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Depending on where you live, the price seems fair. The bike, to my old eyes, appears to be smaller than 22" but that could be a product of picture distortion.
Old 04-16-21, 06:36 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
This is definitely not a 1982 model, as the graphics are wrong and the SL version of the Avanti wasn't available in 1982. I'd place this one circa 1985. If you purchase the bicycle, we should be able to determine the model year from the serial number.

While the main tubes may be Ishiwata EX, the stays and forks would be hi-tensile steel. However this is not necessarily a bad thing, particularly with heavier and stronger riders. Due to the slender nature of stays and fork blades, rigidity is more important than strength and the slightly thicker hi-tensile steel will enhance stiffness.

I concur with Randy. The frame does look slightly smaller, likely a 21". Make sure to take some tools to adjust the saddle and handlebars, so you can test the fit and take it for a test ride. The bars look like they may already be at their maximum safe height. While it could use a good cleaning and probably servicing, the price does seem fair and would even be considered a good buy in some of the larger, metropolitan markets.
Old 04-16-21, 06:51 AM
Topless68

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Moutain Solo CXR, 1985 Norco Avanti SL, 2004 Raleigh Tomahawk ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys! Unfortunately, the bike was sold before i could get to see it. BUT, irony prevails and a near identical one came up even closer to me. I had a look at that one, and appears to be in similar condition, same size frame. I feel it may be slightly small on me, more akin to my CX bike frame (21") versus the size of my older ATB frame (22"). The seat needed to come up slight, but the reach is good, and standover height is about right.