Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Local Test Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Local Test Tour

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-21, 07:14 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
.... My buddy is coming to my work place this afternoon at 4 PM, and we are doing Part 2 this afternoon to our first campground. It's a 21 mile ride, unfortunately during rush hour, and we hope to get there by 6:15 or 6:30 PM. It'll give us at least 90 minutes to pitch our tents with some light and then make a quick dinner. And, yes... I have my bug spray with DEET ready in my handlebar bag.
Do not rule out stopping at a fast food restaurant on the way to save time. Setting up camp when you are not used to it takes time, showers take time, etc.

I always ride pretty slow after a big meal, but smaller meals do not slow me down. French fries always give me good energy for riding.

Have a great time.
Old 04-18-21, 06:39 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Done! Home and safe.

I got home about 2:30 this afternoon, and I was wiped. It was a hot two and a half days, but we did well. This afternoon, I wrote down in list format what worked, what didn't, what I wish I took, what I really didn't need, what I would do differently, what I liked, what I didn't, what I'd do differently and some extended overall impressions and thoughts about the whole experience.
Briefly:
What I didn't need: Base layer (top and bottom), buff-- I was chilly one night and used a base layer top and blanket but could have used my rain jacket instead of the base layer. My kitchen knife (I also had a sharp hiking knife), one of two electrical chargers (I get paranoid about losing power and yes, I have rechargeable battery chargers), some of the food, bourbon-- I had one sip one night (so unnecessary).

What I liked a lot or worked for me: My little camping stove and bowl, cup and pot. I really liked cooking, as I do at home. I may even expand this and cook with spices and such. Other things that worked: my tent, mat and pillow, panniers, bike, handlebar bag (loved it), mirror on my glasses, printing out my Ride with GPS map and turn by turn directions and placing it on top of my handlebar bag-- loved it. I knew how close I was to the next turn by quickly looking at it.

What I learned: I preferred cycling in my mountain bike cargo shorts than a typical cycling bib. I need to get organized better at night so I can get going earlier in the morning. The twelve to two o'clock sun is brutal.

I have questions, but I think I'll start a new thread about those.
Old 04-18-21, 09:06 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Well, there you go, a good beginning.