Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does seat height determine how close your knees are to the handlebars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 05:18 PM
Birdbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you have very long legs, but short arms for your height and you buy a smaller bike, would the seat going up higher make you not have to worry about your knees hitting the handlebars?

i'm 5'10 (5'10.5-5'11 with shoes). I have a 69 inch wingspan and a 34.5-35 inch wingspan with shoes on.

am I right in thinking the higher the seat, the farther my legs are from the handlebars? Or will it not matter?

Last edited by Birdbikes; 04-20-21 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-19-21, 05:45 PM
SkylerDakota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a great question! I wish I had an answer for you and hope somebody can. I am definitely on the smaller side...(5'2" actually) and need to consider these things.
Old 04-19-21, 06:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Depends a little bit on the type of bike.

But in general, no. Not if the bike is about the right size for you and you have your saddle at the proper height. However if you are still riding the bike you bought when you were 12 yo, then there might be a problem with the size bike you have..

Is wing span your real wing span? Leg inseam from crotch to ground is useful. Shoulder to wrist might be helpful.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-19-21, 09:02 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Or you could not worry about your knees hitting the handlebars- nobody else does.
Old 04-20-21, 02:30 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I had an issue with my knees hitting the bar end plugs on my CAAD10, but only when out of the saddle.

It’s a 54cm, and I should probably really be riding a 56. So I got a longer stem; a 120mm to replace the stock 100mm. The position is more comfortable, I ride faster, and I don’t hit the bars with my knees anymore.

I don’t think your saddle height will affect your knees hitting the bars. It’s much more likely to be your bar position relative to the bottom bracket. Maybe crank length.
Old 04-20-21, 04:34 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdbikes
If you have very long legs, but short arms for your height and you buy a smaller bike, would the seat going up higher make you not have to worry about your knees hitting the handlebars?

i'm 5'10 (5'10.5-5'11 with shoes). I have a 69 inch wingspan and a 34.5-35 inch wingspan with shoes on.

I was trying to decide between an 18 inch bike with a 57 cm top tube, or a 20 inch bike with a 58 cm top tube. Its an online order.

i ended up buying the 18 inch one because I read its better to get a smaller one with my proportion, but I am worried about my knees hitting the handlebars.

am I right in thinking the higher the seat, the farther my legs are from the handlebars? Or will it not matter?
I don't know if this will help but.....in my youth I was about 5'10 1/2" (barefoot) with a 32.5" inseam. My height is now down to about 5'9" on a "big" day but my inseam remains the same. I ride a "square 54" (54 frame and 54 TT) and a square 55 and I do not have the issue that concerns you.