Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cannondale F4 head shock

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cannondale F4 head shock

Old 04-14-21, 02:30 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Cannondale F4 head shock

I was wondering if anyone has converted from a headshock to a non- suspension regular fork.

I have looked online and it looks like the headshock on my F4 needs new seals at best. Don't know if the bladder is toast as well. it doesn't hold air for more than a ride.

I've been riding it as is, locked out with no suspension. What I was thinking was to swap out forks for a regular fork. Seems to me that the headshock is heavy if not used as intended. Also lowers the handlebars by 2-3 inches. I use this bike mainly on roads/paths anyway, and as a spring/fall ride. I have city tires/slicks on it.

Thanks
Old 04-14-21, 02:38 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Try asking in the Mechanics subforum if you don;t get a response here.
Old 04-14-21, 02:56 PM
BobsPoprad

Thanks. I'll do that.
Old 04-15-21, 07:37 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 162 Posts
Measure the ATC (axle to crown) on your current fork. Your replacement fork will need to be roughly the same length. You can go just a bit shorter if youre limited on options. Make sure your new fork has a similar rake figure.
Old 04-16-21, 05:11 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsPoprad
I was wondering if anyone has converted from a headshock to a non- suspension regular fork.

I have looked online and it looks like the headshock on my F4 needs new seals at best. Don't know if the bladder is toast as well. it doesn't hold air for more than a ride.

I've been riding it as is, locked out with no suspension. What I was thinking was to swap out forks for a regular fork. Seems to me that the headshock is heavy if not used as intended. Also lowers the handlebars by 2-3 inches. I use this bike mainly on roads/paths anyway, and as a spring/fall ride. I have city tires/slicks on it.

Thanks
I did this with a F2000 from the late 90s. I replaced the Headshok with a suspension corrected Surly fork. To do so required headset adapters to fit a 1 1/8" headset.
Now you can buy a headset to fit directly, but I couldn't find one at the time. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GK8S4LY/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 04-18-21, 09:46 AM
BobsPoprad

Thanks for the replies here as well. I posted this in the Bicycle Mechanics forum:

Thanks for the reply.

I stopped in to my LBS and got some good info as well. first, I guess they will send it to Mendoncycle to get it repaired. The shop owner just did that last year on a headshock.
I still like the idea of going rigid. We looked up some forks that would work (29ers I guess, because of the head shock), and they actually can't get any right now.

So, I either I take a gamble on servicing the headshock, or play the waiting game.

Thanks again for the information.
Old 04-20-21, 05:44 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsPoprad
Thanks for the replies here as well. I posted this in the Bicycle Mechanics forum:

Thanks for the reply.

I stopped in to my LBS and got some good info as well. first, I guess they will send it to Mendoncycle to get it repaired. The shop owner just did that last year on a headshock.
I still like the idea of going rigid. We looked up some forks that would work (29ers I guess, because of the head shock), and they actually can't get any right now.

So, I either I take a gamble on servicing the headshock, or play the waiting game.

Thanks again for the information.
What axel-to-crown length were you using?

Please do post back if you go the rigid route. I see a fair number of nice Cannondales available and many look like nice bikes, but the headshok is the thing that says.."not going there" as it'll undoubtedly need to be rebuilt. A blown headshok is a great issue to depress the price of the bike. I've thought a number of times.."..so many nice bikes that may become useless due to the non-std headset/shok...there should be a popular/well-used pathway to getting these bikes back on the road, much like the many conversions of old mountain bikes into drop bar gravel bikes, hybrids, touring bikes....."

Last edited by fishboat; 04-20-21 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-20-21, 11:11 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Just remove it and ship it to Mendon CycleSmith. $75 plus parts (cheap, generally) and you’ll have a fully functional HeadShok again, no silly adapters or gangly compromises needed. Do it. Less than a week turn around time.
Old 05-01-21, 09:19 AM
BobsPoprad

New fork, headset and stem.
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 05-01-21, 09:34 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Lookin good!
Old 05-01-21, 09:55 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)