Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One bike

Old 04-19-21, 10:48 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
For me, that bike is a sporty looking hybrid with a swept bar and relatively wide tires. Making it the One Bike would just require swapping some accessories from my other bikes, such as fenders and a side basket.

https://www.rei.com/product/893062/d...etro-bike-2016
Old 04-19-21, 10:48 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I don't know why people don't buy the one bike and two different sets of wheels? One set with road tires, and the other set with gravel. And simply change them out depending on the riding they are doing that day. I guess the key would be making sure the frame has the clearance for both.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 04-19-21, 10:51 AM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by cbrstar
I don't know why people don't buy the one bike and two different sets of wheels? One set with road tires, and the other set with gravel. And simply change them out depending on the riding they are doing that day. I guess the key would be making sure the frame has the clearance for both.
Because a second bike doesn't take up all that much space and is quicker to change out. I don't always plan my day in advance. Also, it's fun to tinker with bikes.
Old 04-19-21, 11:19 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm contemplating my eventual retirement and relocation/downsizing to our first retirement property. The home will be smaller than our current one, with a lower garage ceiling and no basement. So...my current 7-8 bikes will have to shrink to 3-4. The vintage bikes will go, as will the tourer. One of my two race bikes will go, too. I'd keep a carbon road bike with rim brakes, an aluminum endurance bike with disc brakes and wide tires, and a hardtail 29-er MTB. That's the current plan.
Old 04-19-21, 11:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
I know that I wouldnt swap my wheels out most of the time.

90% of my solo rides hit gravel for a significant amount of the rides. 90% of my riding with others is pavement.
I dont have interest in spending the 5 minutes to swap em out and dont have interest in always sticking to a paved route, so I would just have my 43mm GravelKing SemiSlick tires on there and call it good for most all riding. Thats the tire I use for my solo rides and even with that tire I have the speed I need to keep pace with the groups I ride with(none are setting records), so why change?
I can just pull one of my road bikes down for the group riding(why have more than one road bike, since we are questioning things) and use my gravel bike for all my solo riding. Its quite simple and fast.

Another reason is- people collect bikes. Same for firearms, watches, and even nail clippings. Nobody is wearing multiple watches even though they may own a dozen of them. You own a bunch of bikes, right? Why not just own one and call it good?
Old 04-19-21, 12:41 PM
Gresp15C

Also, don't forget it has to look good.
Old 04-19-21, 12:52 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Would you expect great things from a chef with one pan? An artist with one color? A musician with one note? No. No, you would not. Having one bike is like having one life: it’s just not nearly enough.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-19-21, 12:55 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'm contemplating my eventual retirement and relocation/downsizing to our first retirement property. The home will be smaller than our current one, with a lower garage ceiling and no basement. So...my current 7-8 bikes will have to shrink to 3-4. The vintage bikes will go, as will the tourer. One of my two race bikes will go, too. I'd keep a carbon road bike with rim brakes, an aluminum endurance bike with disc brakes and wide tires, and a hardtail 29-er MTB. That's the current plan.

That’s just silly. You’re going to have a lot more time in retirement to enjoy 7-8 bikes than you did in your full time working years. Why deprive yourself? You’ve earned it.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-19-21, 01:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Would you expect great things from a chef with one pan? An artist with one color? A musician with one note? No. No, you would not. Having one bike is like having one life: it’s just not nearly enough.
it's the recipes that that would make me expect great things. just would take longer for the outcome.
Old 04-19-21, 01:23 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

That’s just silly. You’re going to have a lot more time in retirement to enjoy 7-8 bikes than you did in your full time working years. Why deprive yourself? You’ve earned it.
Thanks. It's not a question of what I want. It is a constraint of the type of property that we've purchased to begin the transition to retirement. There is limited space. This is how requirements work. Some are performance or functionality, some are logistical or supportability. All constraints matter.

In my current home, I have a large garage with 12-foot ceiling (suitable for Saris inverted rack or pulleys) from which I have six bikes accessible. I also have a full basement with a room dedicated to my bike shop. It has storage for two more bikes. Our unfinished storage in the basement has hooks for my spare wheels. All of this "extra" space will not be available after the move.

My wife also has two road bikes and a mountain bike, so we there's that.

Right now, the concept is to take away one of the car areas in the new garage for my workbench (a foldable "Murphy bed" design that I'm contemplating), tools (some in chests, some wall-mounted, and bike storage. There simply won't be room for ten bikes. We'll have to cut it to five to six, or so.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 04-19-21, 03:02 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Because a second bike doesn't take up all that much space and is quicker to change out. I don't always plan my day in advance. Also, it's fun to tinker with bikes.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

Well I do have a large collection so I understand what you're saying. I should remove the plank from my own eye as the saying goes. . But there was a time when I was a teenager that I only had the one road bike. I had two sets of wheels because I didn't want to wear out the tires riding around town and kept the more expensive second set for the weekends / racing. Having more then one bike is definitely a fun way to keep from getting bored but I don't think it's easier. I don't know about you but I have a bad habit. I ride one bike and somethings breaks and I park it and instead of fixing it right away and grab another. Time goes by and I still haven't fixed it as I have been busy riding the other bike/life. But then suddenly I really need the broken bike for what ever reason and I am in a huge panic trying to fix it in time to make it to where I want to go.
Old 04-19-21, 03:28 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

... I have a bad habit. I ride one bike and somethings breaks and I park it and instead of fixing it right away and grab another. Time goes by and I still haven't fixed it as I have been busy riding the other bike/life. But then suddenly I really need the broken bike for what ever reason and I am in a huge panic trying to fix it in time to make it to where I want to go.
Different here. All of my bikes are far above excellent, and are carefully maintained. I never leave a repair or general/periodic maintenance action undone. And I jettison any bike that does not delight me thoroughly.
Old 04-19-21, 06:29 PM
Highcad

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Maintaining numerous bikes is no more difficult than maintaining one. After a ride you just wipe it down, give the chain some love, and you're done. Whether you have one bike or seven, it's the same. Plus, wear and tear on the parts is spread out over the stable, so replaceables like tires and brake pads actually last longer on each bike.
With numerous you won't be able to zero in on the bike fit/setup (which changes season to season, year to year). With numerous bikes, you'll never be dialed in. You can only be "one" with one bike grasshopper.
Old 04-19-21, 06:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo001
If you could only have one bike for road/ occasional gravel what would it be?
Cannondale SuperX. I put on a road saddle, replaced the 44cm bars with 42cm and added a set Zipp 30 Course with 32mm tubeless. It's great on the road and I still have the original wheels with 35mm knobby for trails.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-19-21, 06:50 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I have a 700c / 650b bike. Changing wheels takes a minute.

700c 28mm road

650b 42mm gravel

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 04-19-21, 07:00 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
Gravel bike like a Diverge. The addition of plenty of fittings to mount fenders or racks should you wish to do some light touring is a big plus.
Old 04-19-21, 07:15 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Highcad
With numerous you won't be able to zero in on the bike fit/setup (which changes season to season, year to year). With numerous bikes, you'll never be dialed in. You can only be "one" with one bike grasshopper.
Oh, look: a pseudo sensei projecting his own inadequacies. Adorable, but tedious.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-19-21, 07:20 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo001
in the 3k range, current contender is a Trek Domane SL4
I was going to say, so many options, but I would lean to the Domane or CheckPoint, but I am biased having a Domane.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-19-21, 07:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
What is this one bike? Is that like when you have each bike numbered and you are looking for your number 1 bike to go along with your number 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7...?

If I was to go down to fewer bikes I would go for something custom and super versatile. I would be spending quite a bit of money on it if it were multiple bikes going down to one and it would need to be able to handle wide tires and probably would be Di2 so I could swap things around easily. That is me personally. I would probably do something close to a Moots Baxter and get some different wheel sets or at least tires.

As far as being dialed on multiple bikes I have done that quite well, I had my fit transferred to several of my road bikes and got my Phil Wood frame pretty darn close to my fit measurements but haven't had a chance to actually dial that one in only because I just don't ride it quite as much and need to get the issues solved on it so I can ride it more. I have done a MTB fit yet so my flat bar stuff isn't as dialed as my road stuff but have followed many of the recommendations of my fitter and I am quite comfortable on that stuff anyway. I don't really change my fit from year to year but I don't race or anything and my body hasn't really changed a bunch aside from maybe a little extra aero shaping at my stomach region. I will probably revisit my fit in 10 years or so or if anything major changes but so far it has been great for a couple years since I did it.
Old 04-19-21, 09:28 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by veganbikes
What is this one bike? Is that like when you have each bike numbered and you are looking for your number 1 bike to go along with your number 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7...?
Having 1 bike is similar to the puzzle in the other thread about "pushing" spokes. It's something that can be described mathematically, but that doesn't exist in real life. The mathematicians use the symbol "i" for that situation.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 04-20-21, 07:47 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by Troul
it's the recipes that that would make me expect great things. just would take longer for the outcome.

Sure, but riding a road bike on a tough technical, steep mountain bike trail is a recipe for disaster, even with a se5 of gravel wheels. There’s more than one kind of bike riding, and there’s more than one kind of bike. Notice that 99% of the respondents in this thread are goofball drop-bar road riders? I love road riding as much as anyone, more than most, but I have several very well maintained and rideable bikes for a reason.

Besides, how long do you want to wait for supper?
Old 04-20-21, 08:12 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 528 Posts
Wow, one bike, quite the concept! Wish that would have occurred to me, about 10 years ago.
Tim
Old 04-23-21, 07:41 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 188 Posts
For me that bike would be my Masi Giramondo 700c touring bike I just bought last year. It's a do everything bike. While it doesn't excel at speed, and it's portly, it does do quite well with comfort, and the bike can be used on almost any surface, plus I can load it up and go bikepacking with it. While I like my Lynskey Titanium bike a lot I can't do half the stuff with it that I can with the Masi.
Old 04-23-21, 09:52 PM
drsmoooth

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 25 Posts
I am down to two.... two road bicycles, two kayaks, two motocross bikes, two cars and two motorcycles, well or, three motorcycles.

I was only going to have one bike, however, with long lead times for parts, I purchased a second bike to ensure I can continue my daily ride. I alternate riding my road bikes every other day.
Old 04-23-21, 09:54 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Sure, but riding a road bike on a tough technical, steep mountain bike trail is a recipe for disaster, even with a se5 of gravel wheels. There’s more than one kind of bike riding, and there’s more than one kind of bike. Notice that 99% of the respondents in this thread are goofball drop-bar road riders? I love road riding as much as anyone, more than most, but I have several very well maintained and rideable bikes for a reason.

Besides, how long do you want to wait for supper?
What would happen if a road bike jumped a triple at a BMX track?
But a BMX bike can certainly ride along on asphalt without the bike being damaged.
You’ll just not going to combine distance with speed, or distance with comfort on a road going BMX bike.

And you’ll look like a pensioner pretending to be a teenager- but I always thought the coolest thing about old people is not giving a **** what anybody thinks about them anymore.

I remember my grandma taking out the trash in her underwear. Good for her.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.