Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stuck Cone nut

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stuck Cone nut

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 04:30 AM
charles-dickens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stuck Cone nut

well basically one of the cone nuts on my front wheel axel is jammed the other one is loose.
is there any way of getting the jammed one off.
Old 07-30-10, 04:57 AM
Mark Kelly 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes.

Assuming you have been able to take the lock nut on the jammed side off: bind the lock nut on the loose side as hard as you can against the cone. Now use two cone spanners on the cones, since the loose one is held by the lock nut the other one should move first.

I'm assuming you've already used penetrating oil on the threads.

If the above doesn't work first go, throw the whole assembly in the freezer for an hour then take it out and heat only the tight cone with a propane torch and try again.
Old 07-30-10, 06:23 AM
charles-dickens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive have now discovered that releasing the nut is near impossible as to be able to get enough leverage to loosen it you have to tighten on the other nut on the other side then the nut youve just used for the leverage is too tight! any idea?
Old 07-30-10, 07:56 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
I assume you have the axle out of the hub. If so it isn't necessary to remove the cone and you can complete the service leaving it as it is. if the issue is that the cone or axle needs to be replaced, then can you turn it at all, but not get it off, or is it frozen (rusted?) in place?

For those that can turn, but won't come off because of deformed threads on the end of the axle, it a matter of patience. Dip the axle in cutting oil, and work the cone back and forth, holding the axle in a vice, advancing slightly farther over the damaged area with each pass. Don't force it too much, be patient and settle for slow steady progress. BTW- you can make a cheap workable axle vice from an axle nut, split on one side with a hacksaw.

If it's truly frozen in place, sometimes you can break the bond with thermal shock. If you have a french fryer heat the oil to 300° immerse the axle and cone for 5-10 seconds (use a potholder or pliers, your end will heat pretty fast) then quench in a pan of ice water. You can repeat a few times, but be sure the axle is dry before putting back into the oil to avoid spatter. After a few cycles see if the cone will turn. If not, and if you have a replacement, you can split the cone with a grinder and break it off in halves.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 07-30-10, 08:05 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Is this wheel off an old Raleigh or other three speed?
Old 04-20-21, 09:40 PM
qkcam

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
this is just what i needed to read! I have a cone stuck to the spacer nut. gonna pb blast and let it sit overnite. . cross my fingers and say some prayers.. and then try the techinques above..
thanks!
Old 04-20-21, 10:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by qkcam
this is just what i needed to read! I have a cone stuck to the spacer nut. gonna pb blast and let it sit overnite. . cross my fingers and say some prayers.. and then try the techinques above..
thanks!
Why?
Most of us leave one cone/lock nut intact. It preserves axle centering.
You can clean everything with the cone in place, so why remove it?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-21-21, 07:22 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
hey Chuck, I don't want to be a Scrooge (come on, I can't believe I'm the first ! ) but as asked, are you doing this work just to regrease the hubs or is the cone knackered and you need to replace it?

as others have said, if the cone is fine, just leave this "stuck" on one as is, and redo the job.
have you worked on hubs before?

if its in good shape and you leave it as is when putting it all together again, I'd recommend putting a marking or something on that side of the axle so that in the future, you will know to loosen the other one to work on the hub again.
Old 04-21-21, 08:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
There is no need to remove both cones if removing one will let you pull the axle out.

If the bearings are loose balls, then a coat of grease on the race of the hub will hold the bearings in place while you put the axle back in.