Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I'm a fat bastard looking for a steel ride

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I'm a fat bastard looking for a steel ride

Old 04-14-21, 09:09 PM
SarahCH

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have a Kona Rove ST st being the steel version. Very good bike but there's cheaper options out there. I wanted a surly but got a very good deal on this one.
Old 04-14-21, 10:24 PM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Bikes: Junk with two wheels

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
as a big Clydesdale myself, I much prefer the comfort of a steel bike over aluminum on roads. The steel eats up the chatter better and I tend to actual break things made of aluminum over time. I used to ride a Trek Domane aluminum frame with thinner tires (28mm) and it shook the fillings out of my teeth, also contributing to neck and spinal issues due to the harsh vibration.

all that said, wider, tubeless tires (40mm +) at lower pressures helped me a lot with comfort also.
I've heard different things about tubeless. One guy said it made the ride worse. Yet you have the opposite experience. I guess I will have to try it myself sometime.
Old 04-14-21, 11:20 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Anatolia
Former athlete who has taken his "I don't care about life anymore" knocks, I've put on some pounds over the years. Well, happy to report I've regained that "I do care now" myopia and want to get back into riding hard again. I've got like 60-70-80 pounds I need to lose. Yeah, yeah. Keep the fat jokes to yourself because it wasn't that long ago I was on the other side making them with you. Point is -- I'm still athletic to alter course and can be sickly intense and obsessed when it comes to commitment towards my goal.

So in a nutshell, I'm buying a steel bike and since I enjoy long distance (90-95% pavement) riding and could give a rip about being in a 'racer' position -- a touring bike seems ideal. Right? Well I don't want some tank either so a light or credit card touring bike seems ideal? Sure. Only problem is such marketing gimmicks ten years ago when I bought my last touring elite bike have changed. I'm seeing things like 'Adventure' bike and all sorts of things. But it would seem bikes like (no particular branding order here) Surly, Trek, Salsa, and Kona still come into play. There have been several threads in this forum addressing the pros and cons of each. But I'm giving you the opportunity to pipe in and call me a fat bastard -- wait I just said please don't -- ok I'm giving you the opportunity to call me the skinny challenged or equivalent. Ok, I'm really hoping to get your opinions on the best steel bikes out there that can handle a load (me and my 5-10lb) paneers. I seriously doubt I will ever go beyond the 50 miles out and 50 miles back thing so having things like bar end shifters is not a must since my wife could easily find me (save your wife jokes AND fat jokes please). What probably does matter is the lower end (or granny) gears for some hill climbing this area is notorious for. Again more evidence pointing towards a 'touring' or 'adventure' or 'steel' bike that meets the requirement of handling weight, a sturdy ride, a more upright position, and pannier bags to stuff things in there for good Lord who knows what.

Thoughts? Opinions? Fat bas--- err skinny challenged?
check out All City Bikes, they make quality steel bikes. ​​​​​

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/zig_zag_ultegra
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 04-15-21, 12:19 AM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Originally Posted by jay4usc
check out All City Bikes, they make quality steel bikes. ​​​​​

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/zig_zag_ultegra
Others have mentioned All City. Look right up my alley.
Old 04-15-21, 04:45 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 169 Posts
I've heard different things about tubeless. One guy said it made the ride worse. Yet you have the opposite experience. I guess I will have to try it myself sometime.
whomever claimed tubeless made the ride worse was an idiot, There I said it.

I can understand someone complaining about setting them up, inflated and sealed, sealant added the first time. But after that it’s all puppydogs and hummingbirds. If they’re not enjoying their newfound comfort they did something wrong or just like to complain.
Old 04-16-21, 09:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
whomever claimed tubeless made the ride worse was an idiot, There I said it.

I can understand someone complaining about setting them up, inflated and sealed, sealant added the first time. But after that it’s all puppydogs and hummingbirds. If they’re not enjoying their newfound comfort they did something wrong or just like to complain.
I never ride tubeless, so I have no relevant knowledge, but I've long ago stopped considering other people's opinions about what rides good or bad. The problem is that riding quality means different things to different people, we all seem to mind or appreciate different things. I also think with things like tires that the placebo effect is huge. I'd probably bet money people couldn't tell the difference between otherwise identical tubed and tubeless if they can't check to see what they're riding. Setting up that test sounds like a lot of work, though.
Old 04-16-21, 11:10 AM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Bikes: Kona JTS, Norco Sasquatch 07(had), Giant Fastroad SLR 17(had)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geo...b9e400171594c5,

2021 renegade vs 2017 Aurora comparison with wire frame.
Old 04-16-21, 02:21 PM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I never ride tubeless, so I have no relevant knowledge, but I've long ago stopped considering other people's opinions about what rides good or bad. The problem is that riding quality means different things to different people, we all seem to mind or appreciate different things.
I'm with you. But folks like to chime in on what's working for them. If I didn't ask for opinions, there wouldn't be much to talk about. I already knew that I was going one of three ways (or close to it) so it's good to get feedback from folks untainted. Like I say, there have been at least 2 solid things I've gotten from peeps since posting this forum -- not withstanding some abuse from the righteous -- but this place wouldn't be the Bike Forums without that.

Last edited by Anatolia; 04-16-21 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-16-21, 02:24 PM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Originally Posted by jma1st3r
https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geo...b9e400171594c5,

2021 renegade vs 2017 Aurora comparison with wire frame.
I was unaware of this url. Thanks!
Old 04-16-21, 02:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm with you. But folks like to chime in on what's working for them. If I didn't ask for opinions, there wouldn't be much to talk about. I already knew that I was going one of three ways (or close to it) so it's good to get feedback from folks untainted. Like I say, there have been at least 2 solid things I've gotten from peeps since posting this forum -- not withstanding some abuse from the righteous -- but this place wouldn't be the Bike Forums without that.

That's fair--for example, actually knowing there's a difference of opinion on whether tubeless rides bad or good could cue you to try it out for yourself before buying.

Tough time to be shopping, I think getting a wider range of possibilities was a good idea. I've been helping my son choose bikes as he loses similar amounts of weight, it's kind of like outgrowing bikes in reverse!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-16-21, 11:16 PM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Tough time to be shopping,
Aye.
Old 04-16-21, 11:42 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Have you considered custom? You don't mention budget, but a custom frame will be less than many a mass-produced CF frame. Here's a partial list (it's heavily US biased, but I'm guessing you're in the US). Worth a look, anyway.
Old 04-17-21, 10:08 AM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
My infraction ,,,, I don't think I made one ,,,,,,

Former athlete who has taken his "I don't care about life anymore" knocks, I've put on some pounds over the years. Well, happy to report I've regained that "I do care now" myopia and want to get back into riding hard again. I've got like 60-70-80 pounds I need to lose. Yeah, yeah. Keep the fat jokes to yourself because it wasn't that long ago I was on the other side making them with you. Point is -- I'm still athletic to alter course and can be sickly intense and obsessed when it comes to commitment towards my goal.

So in a nutshell, I'm buying a steel bike and since I enjoy long distance (90-95% pavement) riding and could give a rip about being in a 'racer' position -- a touring bike seems ideal. Right? Well I don't want some tank either so a light or credit card touring bike seems ideal? Sure. Only problem is such marketing gimmicks ten years ago when I bought my last touring elite bike have changed. I'm seeing things like 'Adventure' bike and all sorts of things. But it would seem bikes like (no particular branding order here) Surly, Trek, Salsa, and Kona still come into play. There have been several threads in this forum addressing the pros and cons of each. But I'm giving you the opportunity to pipe in and call me a fat bastard -- wait I just said please don't -- ok I'm giving you the opportunity to call me the skinny challenged or equivalent. Ok, I'm really hoping to get your opinions on the best steel bikes out there that can handle a load (me and my 5-10lb) paneers. I seriously doubt I will ever go beyond the 50 miles out and 50 miles back thing so having things like bar end shifters is not a must since my wife could easily find me (save your wife jokes AND fat jokes please). What probably does matter is the lower end (or granny) gears for some hill climbing this area is notorious for. Again more evidence pointing towards a 'touring' or 'adventure' or 'steel' bike that meets the requirement of handling weight, a sturdy ride, a more upright position, and pannier bags to stuff things in there for good Lord who knows what.

,,,,this is my attempt to clear it up ,,, to the OP sorry to have called you Big Boy ! And also for inferring for you to purchase a solid iron bike frame so as for you to work harder pedaling there for you losing more weight Faster and then you could buy yourself a better bicycle ,,,, of course I wrote this with a certain amount of humor but apparently it didn't go over that way ,,, at any case my apologies to all involved ,,,,,,,,
Old 04-17-21, 01:25 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 311 Posts
My one actual road tubeless experience is not one of better or worse but just different.

I have 25mm width Panaracer Race A Evo 3 tubeless tires on one of my road bikes and have finally gotten them set up with the inexpensive DT Swiss R460 (Chinese made) tubeless ready clincher rims built into some older Dura Ace 7800 hubs (the rear is 28 hole and was NOS, the front is 24 hole and I got it in clean, used condition for a good (pre-COVID shortage) price). Once I had the correct width tape (2 layers) and the correct DT Swiss road tubeless valves the riding enjoyment was a bit of a revelation.... When running them with 30 to 40ml of Stan’s (or Effetto Mariposa) sealant I have not had a single flat.

The cornering on the tubeless Panaracer tires is sharper and a bit stiffer than any other set up I have tried. You get the feeling that the extra engineering of the bead, to make it square to sort of pop into place with the corresponding rim pays some additional handling dividends beyond just creating an air seal without an inner tube. The side walls seem more firm (in a good way) despite being able to lower the tire pressure to permit smooth rolling over road cracks. Pretty unique. I am looking forward to getting a second, then a 3rd project bike out on the road with other road tubeless builds.

Not sure if the stock WTB gravel tires on the Jamis you pictured are tubed or tubeless but if you did get that bike, you could always retrofit tubeless tires in order to customize your parameters so long as the stock wheels (rims) are of the correct tubeless ready interior rim extrusion.

The Panaracer Race A tubeless tire I believe is onto the “evo 4” or maybe even “evo 5” iteration and apparently they are on back order from the manufacturer with no estimated delivery date. This is odd because these are some truly stellar tires. You get the feeling that manufacturers keep going ‘back to the drawing board” to try to make mounting, air retention, flat prevention and rolling resistance all be stellar at the same time. This is why Michelin’s graphic of a pentagon or hexagon (it is one of these, I’d have to check again to be sure) is helpful for buyers who want to dial in their own ideal set of ride attributes in descending order of most desireable to acceptable.

For example, for a #300, 6 foot rider who is experienced and wanting a road steed that is not dull but still durable, you’d be surprised to know that you could get away with some overbuilt wheels (higher spoke count) on some performance oriented rims (with machined sidewalls for rim brakes, or non-machined for disc specific) then set them up with thoroughly fast tires. Prompting a bit more performance out of yourself (and your bike) will get you back in the game. The payoff of getting past some of the pain and suffering of rehabbing your formerly athletic self into shape will be attained perhaps a bit faster... which will only help in the motivation department.

The specific example of tires I’m referring to here is one where you get rid of heavy stock tires and mount up the equivalent to (whatever width fits) of say, Continental GP 5000’s and then if they wear out quicker, then so be it. Once the rear squares off, replace it as your reward.

Keep us posted Anatolia about which bike (and set up) that you end up going with.
Likes For masi61:
Old 04-17-21, 03:04 PM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
,,,,this is my attempt to clear it up ,,, to the OP sorry to have called you Big Boy ! And also for inferring for you to purchase a solid iron bike frame so as for you to work harder pedaling there for you losing more weight Faster and then you could buy yourself a better bicycle ,,,, of course I wrote this with a certain amount of humor but apparently it didn't go over that way ,,, at any case my apologies to all involved ,,,,,,,,
I understood you. We're good. I too feel my humor has not been appreciated. Apparently 'tone' is a hard thing to measure on forums. Who knew??

Thanks for the response.
Likes For Anatolia:
Old 04-17-21, 03:19 PM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Originally Posted by masi61
For example, for a #300, 6 foot rider who is experienced and wanting a road steed that is not dull but still durable, you’d be surprised to know that you could get away with some overbuilt wheels (higher spoke count) on some performance oriented rims (with machined sidewalls for rim brakes, or non-machined for disc specific) then set them up with thoroughly fast tires. Prompting a bit more performance out of yourself (and your bike) will get you back in the game. The payoff of getting past some of the pain and suffering of rehabbing your formerly athletic self into shape will be attained perhaps a bit faster... which will only help in the motivation department.
I appreciate your kind words. I took the e-bike out the last couple of days but honestly nothing gives me that feeling of autonomy, joy, and accomplishment than riding my steel horse 70 miles. The e-bike can be a good way to get back into your groove though but I never see that as a replacement. Anyway, I've at least been out there the last two days. First time in like 9 months and even that was more of a joy ride than anything serious, Gotta start somewhere. Again, great idea about the wheels. It should have been obvious but sometimes I get tunnel vision -- and sometimes quite honestly -- I'm looking for a solid reason to pick up a new bike if you catch my drift.
Likes For Anatolia:
Old 04-18-21, 03:57 AM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Originally Posted by sincos
Have you considered custom? You don't mention budget, but a custom frame will be less than many a mass-produced CF frame. Here's a partial list (it's heavily US biased, but I'm guessing you're in the US). Worth a look, anyway.
I did at one time but it fell off the radar. Thanks!

Last edited by Anatolia; 04-18-21 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-18-21, 07:49 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts

Thank you for asking.
Old 04-18-21, 09:15 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Whenever this topic comes up, I remember a big guy (a tall weightlifter, well over 250 pounds) coming into the bike shop in 1985 who complained that every bike he'd ridden lately felt like "over-cooked spaghetti." Figuring that an aluminum bike might do the job for him, I put him on a Cannondale and sent him out the door for a test ride. He came back 15 minutes later and said, "Sold."

Four or five months later, when he came in for his free tune-up, he told me, "You get any other big guys in here, send them to me. I'll tell them to buy a Cannondale."

Steel bikes are still fine---I have Reynolds 531 and 853 bikes collecting dust in the basement that I keep meaning to clean up so that I can ride them once in a while---but I love my aluminum bikes. Why steel? My guess is internet-driven retro cachet, like vinyl versus digital and tubes versus transistors.
Everyone’s different.
When I was a teenager I raced BMX with my friends. The bike I raced was aluminum and stiff(!). The bike I road to school and around town was steel. Just felt better doing things like landing flat on concrete off benches and stuff.

Note- not saying I was super talented. Just saying I was hard on bikes and could feel the difference.
Also, I weighed 135 then, 195 now. If I could even hop up a park bench now, would probably have either bike explode upon landing.

Last edited by SkinGriz; 04-18-21 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-21-21, 02:04 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
If you have the budget, you might want to look at the Gunnar Crosshairs. This would be sort of a semi-custom option. I drool over the Crosshairs every couple of weeks or so.