Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cul de sac traffic direction? Driving school doing it wrong?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 08:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts

This could be car or bike related, so I'll post it up.

I have researched this one to death and can't find anything to the contrary to say that 99.9% of the public are doing it wrong, but this idiot driving school instructor is doing it right.

We take cul de sac turnarounds counterclockwise. You stay in your lane, keep right. The city here even tickets people in busy areas who park in the clockwise manner, as it is against the law.

Why on God's green Earth is this driving instructor teaching kids to cross the center before the cul de sac and then go clockwise? They're going to hit somebody head on someday! It might be me on a bike within 50 yards of my house!

This instructor is doing the opposite of the below, while crossing center before getting there to be able to do so. What say ye?

Old 04-21-21, 08:52 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
In many places, to avoid "burdensome government regulation & over-reach" and to allow room for "free-market opportunity" driving school instructors are also certified license examiners.

The result is the driving school "instructor" has zero interest in failing his own students.

Combine that with budgetary constraints & there is no accountibility or incentive on the part of the state issuing the license to do anything but take the licensing school at anything other than their word that they had a student that "met requirements."

It's sad that a drivers license is now anything but a certification of a minimum level of competence to operate a machine or perform a task with respect to the rights of others.

Last edited by base2; 04-21-21 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-21-21, 09:12 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Why on God's green Earth is this driving instructor teaching kids to cross the center before the cul de sac and then go clockwise?
Confusing post.

Who is saying this and where are they saying it?
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-21-21, 09:17 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Confusing post.

Who is saying this and where are they saying it?
I watch them do it. Live and in person. I'm in the cul de sac while my kids are playing. We move aside and I see the instructor motion the person driving to cross center, then go clockwise.

Then, usually, they come back about 5 or 10 minutes later and do it again. The same wrong way, with the instructor motioning them to do so.
Old 04-21-21, 09:20 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
I watch them do it. Live and in person. I'm in the cul de sac while my kids are playing. We move aside and I see the instructor motion the person driving to cross center, then go clockwise.

Then, usually, they come back about 5 or 10 minutes later and do it again. The same wrong way, with the instructor motioning them to do so.
That clears up the confusion. No one knew who "this instructor" was.

I might have flagged the instructor down and asked what was going on.

If he's part of a school, it might be useful to tell them about it.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-21-21, 09:23 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by njkayaker
That clears up the confusion. No one knew who "this instructor" was.

I might have flagged the instructor down and asked what was going on.

If he's part of a school, it might be useful to tell them about it.
I was very polite, and have sent them a mail.

They almost hit somebody entering the cul de sac the proper way head-on one day while I had the kids standing in the driveway waiting for things to clear.

My annoyance at them using our neighborhood street like a high school parking lot to teach is another story. The city has thousands of streets and hundreds of cul de sacs. They can sod off somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-21-21, 09:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Might be because most cul-de-sacs are too small a circle to effectively practice what is illustrated and make a successful turn into a driveway.

The graphic mostly illustrates how right-of-way for any vehicles entering should be thought of. But in the small cul-de-sac next to me, others in my neighborhood and what I been to in other parts of the country, I'd just go directly to the driveway I'm going to if no other traffic is in or approaching the cul-de-sac.

Now if you want to gripe about how driving instructors tell students to adjust their side view mirrors................
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-21-21, 09:31 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
the city has thousands of streets and hundreds of cul de sacs. They can sod off somewhere else as far as i'm concerned.
nimby

Last edited by Riveting; 04-21-21 at 09:34 AM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 04-21-21, 09:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Riveting
nimby
You're not wrong. But the reality is somewhere in between.

It's the scale of use that bothers me. Not that they do it. Once a day, twice, thrice.......fine. But 20+? No. Get more creative.
Old 04-21-21, 09:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I was very polite, and have sent them a mail.

They almost hit somebody entering the cul de sac the proper way head-on one day while I had the kids standing in the driveway waiting for things to clear.

My annoyance at them using our neighborhood street like a high school parking lot to teach is another story. The city has thousands of streets and hundreds of cul de sacs. They can sod off somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.

If the email response is unsatisfactory, a word to the local police might be in order. Definitely stress it's the wrong way aspect you're calling about, don't even mention the NIMBY part.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-21-21, 02:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
nimby
A lot of people who live on cul-de-sacs forget that it's a public road, and think it's their private property.
Old 04-21-21, 03:24 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A lot of people who live on cul-de-sacs forget that it's a public road, and think it's their private property.
Yup, I lived at the very end of a desolate cul-de-sac for 15 years, and I was somewhat irritated by delivery truck drivers who would just sit there and eat their lunch or whatever, and then I'd realize it was a public road, and cut them some slack. The p!ss bottles they left behind were not appreciated though, and I never caught them tossing a bottle with my own eyes, so no management to call and complain to.
Old 04-21-21, 07:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
burnthesheep : I was once in my front yard, on our quiet little 20 mph street, when a young kid (about 17 yrs old) went tearing by at about 40-45 mph, blowing right through an uncontrolled intersection. I ran to the garage, jumped on a SS cruiser (first bike I could reach), and tore down the street. Kid had stopped in front of a house on the next block, looked like he was visiting a friend. I caught up as he was getting out of the car. While the friend's parents stood on the porch watching, I reamed the kid up and down, back to front, read him the riot act about kids on bicycles (like mine), people walking dogs (like me), and if he's ever gonna drive that way again on my street I'll make him wish he'd never gotten a driver's license, make him wish the internal combustion engine had never been invented. As I rode away, the parents were quietly telling him that he should go home. I never saw him again.

You can imagine what I would do to a driving instructor who was using my street to teach kids how not to drive.
Old 04-23-21, 04:05 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
burnthesheep : I was once in my front yard, on our quiet little 20 mph street, when a young kid (about 17 yrs old) went tearing by at about 40-45 mph, blowing right through an uncontrolled intersection. I ran to the garage, jumped on a SS cruiser (first bike I could reach), and tore down the street. Kid had stopped in front of a house on the next block, looked like he was visiting a friend. I caught up as he was getting out of the car. While the friend's parents stood on the porch watching, I reamed the kid up and down, back to front, read him the riot act about kids on bicycles (like mine), people walking dogs (like me), and if he's ever gonna drive that way again on my street I'll make him wish he'd never gotten a driver's license, make him wish the internal combustion engine had never been invented. As I rode away, the parents were quietly telling him that he should go home. I never saw him again.

You can imagine what I would do to a driving instructor who was using my street to teach kids how not to drive.
Cool story bro...
Likes For downhillmaster: