Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which size giant escape 3?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-12-21, 02:51 PM
Birdbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm roughly 5'10 (about 5'10 1/2-5'11 with shoes) with an inseam around 33.5-34 inches (about 34.5-35 inches with shoes), and I have a wingspan around 68.5 inches.

The bike shop near me only has the medium in stock, and I'm a little worried I might be convinced to get it just so they can sell it (ive read stories about shops doing this).

So i'm asking here which size I'd be better on for my measurements? Its a giant escape 3 disc. The size chart says im at the top for the medium, but I worry that my legs are better suited for a large frame.

​​​​​​I cant test ride sadly, because the bike is in the warehouse and I have to order online and then pick it up at the store in a few days.
Old 04-12-21, 03:05 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Here's a graphic mock-up of the two sizes on top of each other, to give you a visual of the differences.

Do you currently have a bike that fits you well? If so, see how long the top tube is (or better yet, find out the stack and reach measurements), and choose the Giant that is closest to it.
Old 04-12-21, 07:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4229 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
I wouldn't waste money on a Escape 3. I would move on and find bikes you can test ride if you are worried about it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-16-21, 04:46 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdbikes
I'm roughly 5'10 (about 5'10 1/2-5'11 with shoes) with an inseam around 33.5-34 inches (about 34.5-35 inches with shoes), and I have a wingspan around 68.5 inches.

The bike shop near me only has the medium in stock, and I'm a little worried I might be convinced to get it just so they can sell it (ive read stories about shops doing this).

So i'm asking here which size I'd be better on for my measurements? Its a giant escape 3 disc. The size chart says im at the top for the medium, but I worry that my legs are better suited for a large frame.

​​​​​​I cant test ride sadly, because the bike is in the warehouse and I have to order online and then pick it up at the store in a few days.
I own the exact bike you are considering - bought it about nine months ago. Amazing value for money (I paid around US$460, new). Size: Large. I am 5'11" barefoot, so maybe just a little bit taller that you, but not much. My inseam measures 33" from ground to crotch. My "L" Escape 3 feels great and I would not want the medium size. If you like a bit of a stretched out position (not so much of an upright) then I would get the Large.

2021 Giant Escape 3 Disc
Old 04-16-21, 10:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I wouldn't waste money on a Escape 3. I would move on and find bikes you can test ride if you are worried about it.
Bro whats wrong with the escape, that was my first bike and its badass, I recently bought my brother one and myself a new one and have been killing it on my giant escape. Its hella fast. 3 escapes in our garage. Im way faster than my dad and his roadbike
Old 04-17-21, 08:39 AM
rut3556

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
>>with an inseam around 33.5-34 inches<<

With an inseam like that you could easily handle a large. Although we're the same height, my inseam is only ~30", so when I recently bought a new Escape 2 Disk I opted for the medium. It was borderline for me, but with the large my cojones were resting on the top bar, so the medium it was.
Old 04-17-21, 11:32 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Bro whats wrong with the escape, that was my first bike and its badass, I recently bought my brother one and myself a new one and have been killing it on my giant escape. Its hella fast. 3 escapes in our garage. Im way faster than my dad and his roadbike
It is a cheap bike from Giant that consistently had more problems for us when we sold them then any of the other bikes we sold. This particular version uses Tourney Shimano's lowest end groupset with a freewheel. The only redeeming feature is at the very least it uses a threadless stem rather than a quill.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-18-21, 10:17 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdbikes

That really is a problem, IMO as a bike is a potentially long term purchase, and fit is the most important thing about a bike, as a too small bike or a too big bike will affect your enjoyment. And I have ridden both. In theory, you should be able to make a medium work, but you won't know for sure until you throw a leg over and actually do a short test ride. (actually, it takes more than a short test ride but at least with a short test ride you can tell if the fit is in the ballpark.).

So the shop has literally not a single bike you can test ride just for size?
Old 04-18-21, 10:32 AM
MRT2

I think what veganbikes is throwing shade at isn't all Escapes, but just the Escape 3 line, which seems to be a little underspec'd. It has 7 speed freewheel and Tourney drivetrain, which is not necessarily terrible, but not great. FWIW, I concur. I bought a hybrid in 1997 that had a 7 speed drivetrain, and it was certainly not TOTL even then. 24 years on, there really is no excuse for a major brand like Giant to not spec its entry level hybrid with at least Altus 8 speed drive train. It isn;t to say you will run into problems with the stock parts right away, but you will eventually, and when you do, you will face a dilemma. Though the replacement parts are cheap, you might be tempted to upgrade to 8 speed, but upgrading from 7 speed freewheel to 8 or 9 speed freehub type drivetrain is surprisingly expensive, and then you have to decide if you just need to buy another bike in a few years rather than do an expensive upgrade.

If you can swing it and you are sold on Giant, maybe better going up to the Escape 2 Disc, or Escape 1 Disc.
Old 04-18-21, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by MRT2
I think what veganbikes is throwing shade at isn't all Escapes, but just the Escape 3 line, which seems to be a little underspec'd. It has 7 speed freewheel and Tourney drivetrain, which is not necessarily terrible, but not great. FWIW, I concur. I bought a hybrid in 1997 that had a 7 speed drivetrain, and it was certainly not TOTL even then. 24 years on, there really is no excuse for a major brand like Giant to not spec its entry level hybrid with at least Altus 8 speed drive train. It isn;t to say you will run into problems with the stock parts right away, but you will eventually, and when you do, you will face a dilemma. Though the replacement parts are cheap, you might be tempted to upgrade to 8 speed, but upgrading from 7 speed freewheel to 8 or 9 speed freehub type drivetrain is surprisingly expensive, and then you have to decide if you just need to buy another bike in a few years rather than do an expensive upgrade.

If you can swing it and you are sold on Giant, maybe better going up to the Escape 2 Disc, or Escape 1 Disc.
We sold Escape 2s pre disc and they unfortunately were not a great bike they were in for service a lot more than other bikes certainly the 3 is way worse specs wise but we didn't go quite that low at the time before Giant screwed things over (which they have now done to a few other shops in the area).

Glad you enjoyed your bike though.
Old 04-18-21, 08:31 PM
MRT2

We sold Escape 2s pre disc and they unfortunately were not a great bike they were in for service a lot more than other bikes certainly the 3 is way worse specs wise but we didn't go quite that low at the time before Giant screwed things over (which they have now done to a few other shops in the area).

Glad you enjoyed your bike though.
Actually, I never owned a Giant. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-19-21, 07:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by MRT2
Actually, I never owned a Giant. Sorry for the confusion.
Sorry, no I was talking about the OP or whoever mentioned owning one. I should have made that clearer.
Old 04-21-21, 05:45 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 340 Posts
Sorry, no I was talking about the OP or whoever mentioned owning one. I should have made that clearer.
Thanks for your reply, whats wrong with having 7 speeds instead of 8? I wont lie to you ive definitely had to have my old escape 3 serviced a whole bunch. Easily spent 300$ in servicing for a bike that cost around 500
Old 04-21-21, 07:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Thanks for your reply, whats wrong with having 7 speeds instead of 8? I wont lie to you ive definitely had to have my old escape 3 serviced a whole bunch. Easily spent 300$ in servicing for a bike that cost around 500
No worries. Always happy to help.

The 7 speed era was in the late 80s to early 90s the 8 speed era started in the early 90s to mid 90s, We are in the 2020s now and are in the 12 speed era so the quality has nowhere to go but down and that is where it lies. Tourney, Altus, Acera, Claris... are all really low quality group sets there is nothing really redeeming about them other than they hit an initial price point. They cost very little to start and then the price goes way up in service and replacement costs.
Old 04-21-21, 07:29 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,174 Posts
Had a friend bring by his Tourney equipped bike recently. I replaced it with an older rusted set of Acera and he was ecstatic, lol. The rear had unacceptable play and the front had worn through to the point the chain caught up in the ramp when he shifted. It was 3 months old.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 04-22-21, 08:31 AM
MRT2

No worries. Always happy to help.

The 7 speed era was in the late 80s to early 90s the 8 speed era started in the early 90s to mid 90s, We are in the 2020s now and are in the 12 speed era so the quality has nowhere to go but down and that is where it lies. Tourney, Altus, Acera, Claris... are all really low quality group sets there is nothing really redeeming about them other than they hit an initial price point. They cost very little to start and then the price goes way up in service and replacement costs.
You are correct about quality having nowhere to go but down. Because nobody is investing in better quality 7 and 8 speed groups.
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago complaining about $500 or even $700 bike shop bikes coming equipped with Tourney, and if you want Alivio, Deore, or any road group above Claris, you are talking about spending over $1,000 and a bunch of people jumped all over me, but my point was, if they are going to charge $500 or $600, heck even $400, they could at least go up a level from Tourney and it would cost the bike brands literally a couple of bucks to do.
I bought my first bike as an adult in early 1997 and that bike, a Bianchi Advantage had 7 speed. In those days, you had to go up to Deore LX or XT to get 8 speed, so as a consumer grade hybrid, 7 speed seemed pretty reasonable. But that was 24 years ago. Almost a quarter century.
I would have thought given that there are 12 speed groups available, that by now, even 9 speed would have trickled down to the entry level bikes. But I was wrong. 7 speed is alive and well, and selling for $500, $550, or even $700 retail. (shame on you, Specialized. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...ext=96121-7002)

Edit. The Bianchi I bought in 1997 cost me $400 retail, and I believe I paid close to full retail as it was a brand new model. Putting that through an inflation calculator, that same bike in today's dollars would be $660. Except that I would hope for that kind of money I could at least hope to get 9 or 10 speed drivetrain, and that is not actually the case.

Last edited by MRT2; 04-22-21 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For MRT2: