Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting back into the saddle

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Getting back into the saddle

Old 04-22-21, 09:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I realize it's likely more money and probably a bit of a drive, but shopping for a saddle in store might be a real good idea here. Your post-surgery comfort zone is such a wild card that I'm thinking there's no substitute for trying things out. If that's impractical, zandoval sounds like they know what they're talking about.

I know that the "padded seats are bad" line gets thrown around as if it's undeniably true, but I have known plenty of casual riders who find them really good. As your proficiency changes, you might want to ditch the padding, but then again maybe not. You just need something right now to be comfortable as you get started and take short rides for a while. I think the "always the small saddle" people forget that that's really a different niche than something that needs to be tolerable for many hours at a time.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-22-21, 11:04 AM
LisaG71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Careful.
No politics around here.
You said that we now have ‘decent leadership’ though lol.
We need more new members such as yourself with a good sense of humor
Well I only said it because I was being rediculed for buying from Amazon...
Notice you didn't acknowledge that?
and btw we DO have good leadership now. Finally! I will only take so much.
Likes For LisaG71:
Old 04-22-21, 11:12 AM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You really needed to make this completely off-topic argument twice? If you want to argue the moral case for different suppliers, start your own thread.
I blocked them from responding anymore, three times was enough complaining that I buy stuff off amazon.
Likes For LisaG71:
Old 04-22-21, 11:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Old 04-22-21, 12:47 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
As much as I am going to surprise those who know me.....let's move on from Amazon. Let's not let the thread be shut down.

OP....I have what I suspect is the very beginning of arthritis in my hip. Not a big surprise since I am soon to be 75. Has recovery from your hip issue been long and/or arduous?
Old 04-22-21, 12:57 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Back to the topic - sit bones = ischial tuberosities. If you ride upright, the sit bones take your weight. If you lean forward from your hips, pubic rami take some of your weight - the more you lean, the more weight the rami take.

You say you want to tour eventually. I'll assume you want to do long rides, then. You'll probably prefer a harder saddle, because a harder saddle should put more weight on your bones and keep weight off your soft tissues (like blood vessels and nerves).

If you're just starting out, you have to either break in your saddle or, more likely, break in your butt. Before I used a trainer during winter months, I started every season with a 2 mile ride, then a 3 mile ride, then a 5 mile ride with a day or 2 between each ride just to get my butt used to bearing my weight. Your dissatisfaction with your saddle may be due to going too far too soon.

Saddles are very personal choices. The best you can do for yourself is to get ideas from other people, pick one, and see what it does for you. Finding a good saddle is either trial and error or just forcing yourself to accept one choice for your butt on your bike.

Terry has a number of choices especially for women that have earned wide followings, among men and women.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-22-21, 02:58 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
As much as I am going to surprise those who know me.....let's move on from Amazon. Let's not let the thread be shut down.
Agreed.

On that note I'm closing this for a bit, Hopefully we can continue to offer constructive advice for the OP and leave Amazon out of the posts. It's diluting the real content.

K thanks.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-23-21, 08:20 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
Thread open, I deleted many of the posts that had nothing to do with saddles. Lets try to stay on topic please and offer helpful advice and information to the OP. To anyone who has issue with what another user posts, please use the report post function versus diluting the content that attracts so many users.

-Tmonk
Old 04-23-21, 10:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by TMonk
Thread open, I deleted many of the posts that had nothing to do with saddles. Lets try to stay on topic please and offer helpful advice and information to the OP. To anyone who has issue with what another user posts, please use the report post function versus diluting the content that attracts so many users.

-Tmonk

Thank you.
Old 04-23-21, 10:21 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
Pre-pandemic, I found many bike shops that offer saddle exchange and have a box of used saddles that they carry for a try out. Specialized (pre-pandemic) offers a guaranteed fit. If you purchase a Specialized saddle, you can return it for another if you do not like it.

The pandemic may have changed this policy due to many factors including saddle shortages. Getting to the right shop and getting a saddle fit i.e. everyone’s sit bones are different and not that same distance apart. Women’s sit bones tend to be wider apart than men’s hence there are women’s saddles designed for women.

There are a couple of good suggestions above for a women’s saddle.

I understand you are returning from injury and surgery and wish you well.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-23-21, 11:56 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by LisaG71
I want to eventually use the bike to bike tour with .. more than likely it won't be until I get full use of my leg back. but, it's my goal. For now, I need a pack to hold a sweatshirt, rain gear, hydration, dog gear. go pro stuff.

The shop I bought my bike at is 50 miles away, the local shop is closed for now due to covid (45 miles away) ... I would like to get racks before September.
As for installing: I think I can figure it out it really doesn't seem too hard.. plus there is always YouTube (oh wait, that is owned by someone rich too! is it also off-limits, or JUST amazon?!?)

what are "sit bones"? that is not a term I am familiar with? I am a science major... lol My surgeon learned fast, that I like medical terms, rather than layman terms. So much easier to understand. However, I did google "sit bones" and I came up with zero entries.
I don't know if you got your SIT BONES answer:

"The ischial tuberosity, also known informally in yoga as the sit bones or sitz bones, or as a pair the sitting bones is a large swelling posteriorly on the superior ramus of the ischium. "

I've had my right hip replaced twice. Wore out the joint hiking, biking and cross-country skiing. All of which I resumed after replacement. While they called the second edition, a revision, they revised the ENTIRE THINGIE! (shaft came loose in the thigh bone after 8 years - don't ask) I again resumed all those activities.

I am, once again, tweaking saddles. Same saddle on two different bikes. Obviously somewhat different geometries and one is fine, the other not so much. Tweaking height, tilt, forward/backward. It should not be so difficult. Also, I would not limit to wide/narrow but find one that fits. Women, I guess, tend to wider.

I am not sure why your surgeon eliminated road bikes. The advice I got was DO NOT FALL!!! Well, obviously, with or without hip replacement.

Hope you recover fully and enjoy biking.

Last edited by kahn; 04-23-21 at 12:06 PM.
Likes For kahn:
Old 04-24-21, 01:09 AM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by philbob57
Back to the topic - sit bones = ischial tuberosities. If you ride upright, the sit bones take your weight. If you lean forward from your hips, pubic rami take some of your weight - the more you lean, the more weight the rami take.

You say you want to tour eventually. I'll assume you want to do long rides, then. You'll probably prefer a harder saddle, because a harder saddle should put more weight on your bones and keep weight off your soft tissues (like blood vessels and nerves).

If you're just starting out, you have to either break in your saddle or, more likely, break in your butt. Before I used a trainer during winter months, I started every season with a 2 mile ride, then a 3 mile ride, then a 5 mile ride with a day or 2 between each ride just to get my butt used to bearing my weight. Your dissatisfaction with your saddle may be due to going too far too soon.

Saddles are very personal choices. The best you can do for yourself is to get ideas from other people, pick one, and see what it does for you. Finding a good saddle is either trial and error or just forcing yourself to accept one choice for your butt on your bike.

Terry has a number of choices especially for women that have earned wide followings, among men and women.

THANK YOU! I tried on three browsers to look sit bones and couldn't find anything.
I guess I'll keep ordering and returning from amazon until I find the right one.
Old 04-24-21, 01:12 AM
LisaG71

Agreed.

On that note I'm closing this for a bit, Hopefully we can continue to offer constructive advice for the OP and leave Amazon out of the posts. It's diluting the real content.

K thanks.
I want people to give my links to amazon. what I don't like is ppl telling where I can and can not shop! it's my money, I spend it where I want.
Old 04-24-21, 01:14 AM
LisaG71

I am not sure why your surgeon eliminated road bikes. The advice I got was DO NOT FALL!!! Well, obviously, with or without hip replacement.

Hope you recover fully and enjoy biking.[/QUOTE]

because he went in through the anterior part of my hip. I had a birth defect fixed. this wasn't a random injury.
Likes For LisaG71:
Old 04-24-21, 01:19 AM
LisaG71

I understand you are returning from injury and surgery and wish you well.[/QUOTE]

it actually wasn't an injury. It was to fix a birth defect. I tried for 20 something years and kept being turned down for surgery to get this fixed. Went to Boston, yup I can fix that! He also said it was the weirdest and most difficult hip he had ever fixed in his entire career. 5 different things going on in that joint.. including (cause you seemed interested) arthritis, a bone spur, a bone cyst, and a couple of things. I am LOVING my replacement!
Likes For LisaG71:
Old 04-24-21, 01:24 AM
LisaG71

Agreed.

K thanks.
Please do not close my thread. it is fine. I blocked the anti-amazon person from responding... As I buy stuff from amazon it is absolutely fine that people post links and mention amazon as much as they like . . . doesn't faze me a bit.
Old 04-24-21, 09:34 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 1,380 Times in 887 Posts
I want people to give my links to amazon. what I don't like is ppl telling where I can and can not shop! it's my money, I spend it where I want.
Please do not close my thread. it is fine. I blocked the anti-amazon person from responding... As I buy stuff from amazon it is absolutely fine that people post links and mention amazon as much as they like . . . doesn't faze me a bit.
It's nice to hear that you buy from Amazon, more power to you.

I was not aware that it's okay to flood this place with links to sales sites. Did someone change that and not let me know?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 04-24-21, 10:34 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind

I was not aware that it's okay to flood this place with links to sales sites. Did someone change that and not let me know?
that is not what I meant.

I meant as far as where to find STUFF that I am asking about. seats, gear, racks, etc.
Old 04-24-21, 10:36 PM
LisaG71

that is not what I meant.

I meant as far as where to find STUFF that I am asking about. seats, gear, racks, etc.
Since this is my thread, I think it's appropriate to post links so I can find stuff easily. if that bothers you.. sorry
I do not care if something is on AZ, ebay, or another site. If It helps ME, why make a massive deal out of it?!?
Old 04-25-21, 02:34 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Since this is my thread, I think it's appropriate to post links so I can find stuff easily. if that bothers you.. sorry
I do not care if something is on AZ, ebay, or another site. If It helps ME, why make a massive deal out of it?!?
At this point it appears that you may be the only one making a massive deal out of it
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-25-21, 12:53 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 1,380 Times in 887 Posts
Well, yes it DOES bother me because it's against the rules that you agreed to when you signed up here.
But it does seem that you are the one making a massive deal about breaking the rules.

And by the way, you really don't own this thread.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 04-26-21, 02:05 AM
LisaG71

Well, yes it DOES bother me because it's against the rules that you agreed to when you signed up here.
But it does seem that you are the one making a massive deal about breaking the rules.

And by the way, you really don't own this thread.
Well then if this site is against BEGINNERS boot me off then. At this point I could care less whiny brats getting their way. Most everyone just complaining on every thread I have made so far..
Great way to have people join the sport!!!
Old 04-26-21, 02:15 AM
LisaG71

Or if it bothers you I want links to find the stuff I need.. don't post on threads you don't like.

I am sick of this whiny crap.
If it bothers you that much, someone send this thread to my email lisa.l.gove@gmail.com and boot me. This is the third person to complain about what I have written.
I guess you don't want new ppl to join your sport and don't torerate newbies.. what a way to welcome those into the sport ... Hope their are other bike forums!
Old 04-26-21, 04:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Or if it bothers you I want links to find the stuff I need.. don't post on threads you don't like.

If it bothers you that much, someone send this thread to my email ____@____ and boot me. This is the third person to complain about what I have written.
I guess you don't want new ppl to join your sport and don't torerate newbies.. what a way to welcome those into the sport ... Hope their are other bike forums!

The reason they have rules about posting links is because spammers pretend to be someone they're not to put up ads without paying for them. If you don't have antispam rules, the forum quickly gets overrun and unreadable. Good luck finding a more suitable forum for yourself. Speaking of spam, if you have any sense at all, you should delete your email address from that post.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-26-21 at 06:42 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-26-21, 05:49 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

If it bothers you that much, someone send this thread to my email lisa.l.gove@gmail.com and boot me. This is the third person to complain about what I have written.
I wouldn’t go just yet.
Like any other large and passionate online forum, you will always encounter some differing opinions and negativity.
The person that originally called out Amazon also went on to give you some very good cycling advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.