Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

QR 12mm x 133mm thru axle?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-22-21, 12:15 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts

Are quick release 12mm x 133mm with 1.5 pitch threads, thru axles rare? All the lbs are aware they exist, but not common enough for them to stock it. Looking online & I cannot pull back any direct results.
Old 04-22-21, 12:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
What bike is it brand model and year? The only thing I found was RAP has a 15mm version of that axle but of course not QR a standard bolt on.
Old 04-22-21, 12:40 PM
Troul 

Motobecane, Century PRO 2021. The oddest thing is that I have on hand a thru axle from a 2020 model, but it's a 15mm & doesn't interchange.
Old 04-22-21, 12:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Troul
Motobecane, Century PRO 2021. The oddest thing is that I have on hand a thru axle from a 2020 model, but it's a 15mm & doesn't interchange.
According to the shouting from Bikes Direct the front is a 15mm thru axle, are you positive it is a 12mm at the front and not 15? I would try to reach out to them and see if they have replacement parts or can confirm what the sizing is.
Old 04-22-21, 12:58 PM
Troul 

Very positive. Tried swapping the prior year's front axle in & it was a no go for threading into the fork's insert.
I did contact them, they deferred me to contacting Motobecane. Also, the specs they provide on the site is kinda "off" at times. They list two crank arm lengths, from the last time I looked, & there was a discrepancy with the stem height.

Last edited by Troul; 04-22-21 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-22-21, 01:19 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Are you sure its 133mm and not 123mm? That means your fork leg things are 15mm thick

Edit: Best way would be to post a pic showing the axle next to a ruler showing the axle length and thread length
Old 04-22-21, 01:32 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Elvo
Are you sure its 133mm and not 123mm? That means your fork leg things are 15mm thick

Edit: Best way would be to post a pic showing the axle next to a ruler showing the axle length and thread length
I'm positive. I'll put a pic up after work.
Old 04-22-21, 02:03 PM
Troul 

The size is in the printed on writing that is on the axle. This is a picture I could find of it on the camera roll (album) , & the owner at the lbs even concurred that is the size. I have not had a reason to doubt the lbs, but I can check it on my own with my precise organic Seeds brand ruler or highly calibrated 25' Pittsburgh brand tape measure.
Old 04-22-21, 02:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Very positive. Tried swapping the prior year's front axle in & it was a no go for threading into the fork's insert.
I did contact them, they deferred me to contacting Motobecane. Also, the specs they provide on the site is kinda "off" at times. They list two crank arm lengths, from the last time I looked, & there was a discrepancy with the stem height.
BD is saying contact a defunct brand? I thought BD owned the name now as actual French Motobecane filed for bankruptcy in 1981. It is odd they aren't doing all the Motobecane work maybe they have a separate division or Motobecane as it is now is only sold through BD but is a separate company? Well hopefully someone somewhere in that universe has answers.

Anywho it is odd they list it as 15mm but you clearly have a 12mm. Maybe a typo or an odd parts swap mid year? Or worse a misprint on the axle which could also be possible?
Old 04-22-21, 03:04 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
BD is saying contact a defunct brand? I thought BD owned the name now as actual French Motobecane filed for bankruptcy in 1981. It is odd they aren't doing all the Motobecane work maybe they have a separate division or Motobecane as it is now is only sold through BD but is a separate company? Well hopefully someone somewhere in that universe has answers.

Anywho it is odd they list it as 15mm but you clearly have a 12mm. Maybe a typo or an odd parts swap mid year? Or worse a misprint on the axle which could also be possible?
I think you are right with the separate divisions with BD. Similar to WAHOO with select locations doing services for there products.
I would not be inclined to think it's a misprint as the thicker axle that I do have that is labeled 15mm is physically to big for the 12mm bushing.
Old 04-22-21, 03:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I think you are right with the separate divisions with BD. Similar to WAHOO with select locations doing services for there products.
I would not be inclined to think it's a misprint as the thicker axle that I do have that is labeled 15mm is physically to big for the 12mm bushing.
Makes sense but I have seen some oddities over the years. Hopefully someone over there can help get you the thru-axle as I didn't find anything but 15mm stuff and that was bolt on which I personally prefer. Maybe check with Paul and see if he could whip you up one of his Set and Forget Thru axles in size. I remember those were all QR.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-22-21, 03:30 PM
Troul 

Will give BD-Moto a few days to get back to me. I have hope that they'll say something positive.
Old 04-22-21, 03:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Will give BD-Moto a few days to get back to me. I have hope that they'll say something positive.
Hope so...what is wrong with the current one? Or are you just getting a back up (which is always a smart move)
Old 04-22-21, 03:43 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Hope so...what is wrong with the current one? Or are you just getting a back up (which is always a smart move)
Long story short, someone decided to roof mount there bicycle rather than stow it in the vehicle. Later on the thru axle rode off by itself somewhere & here we are. I have a spare 15mm thru axle, but it wouldn't work in place of the 12mm for obvious reasons. I think it'll be a small fortune to learn from on the owners part to heed advice that is only trying to help. lol The one pictured is a borrowed axle of the one that is a match to what is needed. Just they can't have it.

I'll be riding this week/weekend, the other person... we shall see.
Old 04-23-21, 05:02 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 471 Posts
That is a Kinesis thru axle. I have one on my Kinesis Tripster fork. You can order one here. https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catal...dapter-and-Kit

You have to click on the "shop now" button and select the axle kit from the drop down menu.
Old 04-28-21, 05:18 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by dsaul
That is a Kinesis thru axle. I have one on my Kinesis Tripster fork. You can order one here. https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catal...dapter-and-Kit

You have to click on the "shop now" button and select the axle kit from the drop down menu.
MB got back with the owner of the bum situation & they're exchanging the fork & wheel assembly with a replacement. Essentially (based on my surfing of the web & past knowledge) the 12mm was used for either a MTB configuration or for UK sales. Makes some sense as the 15mm is in a road fork/wheel for the configuration I have. Looking at everything else, the fork swap should be straight forward. We shall see.