Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a start point on a new bike, unsure which way to go.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking for a start point on a new bike, unsure which way to go.

Old 04-22-21, 04:05 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Shay Howe
Perusing back through this thread will reveal (re-reveal?) my recovery from massive illness and muscle loss a couple of years ago. I'm going to do what works for me and keeps me safe, and if it doesn't fit Lance freaking Armstrong's regimen Lance can suck it. I don't know how to make this any plainer.
I am no Lance Armstrong, so there is that. I am a middle aged person who is doing his best to keep whatever lean muscle and cardiovascular capacity he has in the face of advancing years. And while cycling is a great activity that is not too hard on the joints, you can hurt yourself with poor form, and that includes riding with the seat too low, or too high. While there is considerable variation in what works for different people, riding with the seat super low is not good for anyone.
Old 04-22-21, 04:41 PM
Shay Howe 
2 speed- slow and slower

Bikes: Gravity X-Rod 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I am no Lance Armstrong, so there is that. I am a middle aged person who is doing his best to keep whatever lean muscle and cardiovascular capacity he has in the face of advancing years. And while cycling is a great activity that is not too hard on the joints, you can hurt yourself with poor form, and that includes riding with the seat too low, or too high. While there is considerable variation in what works for different people, riding with the seat super low is not good for anyone.
I'm not trying to ride with the seat "super low," though. I am an advanced middle-aged man in physically compromised condition trying to set up a bicycle in such a way as to be usable while I feel secure in my safety while doing so, and you're at this point being absolutely zero help in that respect. Make no mistake, I realize you're trying to help- but you come off as second-guessing (or outright ignoring) my compromised physical condition from the anonymity of a keyboard some unknown distance away. Maybe for someone in decent condition the seat height on mine is fine- but I am not in such condition, how many times must I reiterate that? I was harshly reminded of it myself this morning with my intimate encounter with the parking lot, which I hope to avoid further repeats of. To that end, the seat's getting lowered. Period. End of discussion. If I don't feel safe, which I currently don't, this nice purchase will sit and collect dust until I sell at it a a loss to clear out some space.

Perhaps I would be better served by moving to the Adaptive Cycling area, where people would get it.
Old 04-22-21, 04:43 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Shay Howe
I'm not trying to ride with the seat "super low," though. I am an advanced middle-aged man in physically compromised condition trying to set up a bicycle in such a way as to be usable while I feel secure in my safety while doing so, and you're at this point being absolutely zero help in that respect. Make no mistake, I realize you're trying to help- but you come off as second-guessing (or outright ignoring) my compromised physical condition from the anonymity of a keyboard some unknown distance away. Maybe for someone in decent condition the seat height on mine is fine- but I am not in such condition, how many times must I reiterate that? I was harshly reminded of it myself this morning with my intimate encounter with the parking lot, which I hope to avoid further repeats of. To that end, the seat's getting lowered. Period. End of discussion. If I don't feel safe, which I currently don't, this nice purchase will sit and collect dust until I sell at it a a loss to clear out some space.

Perhaps I would be better served by moving to the Adaptive Cycling area, where people would get it.
Perhaps they would.
Old 04-22-21, 04:49 PM
Shay Howe 
2 speed- slow and slower

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Remove each wheel and turn the hub by grasping the axle between your index finger and thumb. Feel any side-to-side play? Likely no. Feel gritty resistance? Likely yes. Now you can google "bicycle hub cone adjustment", and you're off to the races...

With the two dozen or more BikesDirect bikes I've built, the bearing pre-load is too tight with half of the hubs. Rear hub is trickier. If you get to that one and need help, ask here.

Good luck.
Front had no side play, but also no gritty resistance. While waiting on a new seatpost, I'll have time over the weekend to flip it over and double-check the rear.
Old 04-30-21, 11:01 AM
Shay Howe 
2 speed- slow and slower

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Things seem to be going well, but slowly. Got the shorter post, dropped the seat about an inch or so, now pedal reach isn't an issue so that's working. At this point the funnest (-snicker-) issue is realizing how many muscles that were wiped out 3 years ago aren't involved much in walking or daily life, so are starting from scratch! Holy smokes, one easy turn around the block (half mile, give or take a few yards) can almost turn into a strain if I'm not fastidious about keeping in a lower gear on the (laughable, as in just enough slant to coast down) up slope coming back. Got a flat run the opposite direction, just have to be aware and take it easy until I get my tired old self broken in again and go from there. Flat street one day, gentle slope the next, alternate.

Landings are still fun- re-creating from scratch muscle memory that was probably half-gone before 2018 then the infection cleared the whole thing blank. Luckily I've got a quiet neighborhood block to work with where I know the traffic patterns from walking 4 laps a day to practice with minimal worry about traffic.Seat sits nicely, it's a tad wide but I am too so its a match. Onward!