Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the safest cycling race discipline?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the safest cycling race discipline?

Old 04-21-21, 09:57 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Riding both BMX and road bike IMHO falling off a road bike is way worse. The key is being able to bail and knowing how to fall, but on a road bike that's 100x harder. In the past I've landed on the stem, and been almost impaled on the drop bar. And you have much further to travel going over the bars. Where as on BMX I have fallen a few times a day/week trying tricks but I maybe crash my road bike every couple of years. So what is safer?

For me the biggest fear is drivers on the road and it doesn't matter what bike I am on.
Old 04-21-21, 10:18 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Individual Time Trial. Riding fast while alone. It's up to me if I crash or not, no other riders, generally a road free of obstacles. Pros get to do them on closed courses, but then the crowd can push in and become an obstacle.

The greatest danger we encounter for any riding is when we share a road with motor vehicles.
Old 04-21-21, 11:01 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Gran Fondos. Most riders just treat them like leisurely century rides, but they are timed.
That actually sounds sketchier than a Masters 123 crit.
Old 04-21-21, 11:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Triathlon has the real athletes! The other bicycle race competitions are largely wusses, pretty boy posers, and the occasional nut that isn't playing with a full deck!
Who's not playing with a full deck? Triathletes routinely piss and sometimes s--t in their shorts to save a few seconds in a race.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-21-21, 11:28 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
You can suffer very serious injury in cyclocross even if the speeds are not high and the ground is generally soft.
Yes, of course. I've seen very nasty injuries at CX races, but all forms of bike racing have risks. I think the point of this thread is to compare them.

In my experience, Cyclocross is a lot less dangerous than crit and road racing, and slightly less dangerous than MTB XC racing. Cross is slightly more dangerous than gravel racing, and a lot more dangerous than time trialing or track racing. The frequency of crashing in CX is probably the highest among those listed above, but most of the time the crashes are lower speed and no big deal and everyone gets up and keeps racing, with minimal damage to bodies or equipment.

Triathlon isn't bike racing and doesn't really belong in this conversation.
Old 04-21-21, 11:39 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Who's not playing with a full deck? Triathletes routinely piss and sometimes s--t in their shorts to save a few seconds in a race.
If the swim is between the other two it would be ideal. Should plan it that way. Watch out if the UCI get's involved.

Last edited by Gyro; 04-21-21 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-21-21, 02:29 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Am I the only one who sees the irony in a guy named "Deathcurse" looking for the safest form of
bike racing ?
Old 04-21-21, 05:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Old 04-22-21, 10:21 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Inside bike. Until you commit suicide because of lack of sunshine and interaction with people in real life.

Read Thinking in Bets. Great book. Every course of action has risk. Every course of action has uncertainty.

As much as possible, know the difference between the 2, and act accordingly.
Old 04-22-21, 10:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
Downhill MTB, just your skills and the clock.

Old 04-22-21, 11:49 AM
OnTheTarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
There is risk in riding a bike period! The faster that you go (full speed) , where, and when - (the roads-streets) and the time of day/night and the weather conditions-visibility, all can elevate that risk level slightly. Now, racing a bicycle is much like open-wheel auto racing (Formula One / Indy Car) where the two vehicles cannot touch or something typically goes airborne and results in a horrific looking if not catastrophic crash. Lets characterize it this way, "You kant trade a liddle paint, like dem good ole boyz dat say yall no dat rubbin' is ray-sin and da fans ain't jumpin if da bumpers ain't bumping and da cars ain't bangin............................NO CAN DO, you're absolutely nuts if you race where the competitors on bikes think that they are NASCAR or Dirt Track Late Model drivers.

Triathlon has the real athletes! The other bicycle race competitions are largely wusses, pretty boy posers, and the occasional nut that isn't playing with a full deck!
Hey if you can't run with the big dogs, then you've gotta stay on the porch!
If you take it seriously and train and make certain that you are at least a decent swimmer, you will not drown!
There are some idiots that don't take the swimming portion seriously enough. An example is those morons train only in a swimming pool where the temperature is comfortable and there are no waves, current, cloudy-murky-muddy- very cold water where the water is not clear and visibility and swimming in the cold against current with no preparation/training in maintaining direction amidst other swimmers, a few of whom might be unprepared clowns too......... They don't know what they are in for and know the distance isn't much but didn't think that it would be so different than swimming miles of laps in an olympic sized swimming pool.
Triathlons are super fun.
They can be hazardous too, as of all the triathlons of which I have competed, the majority of serious crashes that have occurred to competitors have been due to tire blowouts on downhill sections at high speed causing the competitor to lose control and crash, and there has been at least one competitor that was hit by a car.
The swimming portion has safety crews on kayaks that are there to guard against anyone that wasn't ready for prime time and bit off more than they could chew...
I have competed where the organizers decided it was too dangerous to have the swimming portion of the triathlon because the wind and whitecaps were making it difficult for the safety crew to position themselves. The whitecaps and the 25mph sustained wind with gusts and the 45F outside temp without windchill at the designated start time had the organizers to initially delay then to just eliminate the swim portion and turn the tri into a bi-athlon with only the biking and running portions. This was not a Half Iron Man or anything significant, just the garden variety triathlon in the Columbia SC area several years back.
Rarely do you ever have two cyclists that colide while racing in a triathlon, and it is probably far more rare that anyone drowns! You sometimes have competitors that have heart attacks and require medical transport while on the running portion, occasionally they do die, sometimes it might happen on the bike portion or swim portion but probably 96% of the time if it happens it is during the run (the 3rd and final stage) and not the swim (1st stage) or the bike portion (2nd stage).
There is a significant risk sometimes with auto traffic on certain sections of the bike course depending on the event organizer/the course. By definition, one is covering a great distance at very high speed on public roads which sometimes the participant has only seen the course via a slow automobile drive along the entire course the night before the triathlon.
Triathletes are the real athletes. The dopeheads who gotta be like Lance and only think of the tour de France, not so much, although the ones that are actually racing in July in France on live television are real athletes even if they trust that the bike goes better with dope. The typical very fit, non pro, avid cyclist who does all the local bike shop rides, isn't in the same league with triathlon competitors, unless they are also tri competitors or former tri-competitors, marathon runners or serious swimmers.
Novice triathlon competitors who are strong swimmers or who are strong marathon runners will typically kick the butts of novice triathlon competitors who come from the cycling hobby even if those cycling folks have the latest and greatest equipment because unless they also have better than average swimming and running skills, the strong swimmers and the strong runners will clean the clocks of the cycling hobbyist with great equipment but average or less swimming & running skills.
Now, you'll find that the best triathlon winners have no overall weaknesses and they will also be riding the best equipment available. Somebody from the swim or marathon world that is a novice tri competitor will kick the butt of a novice tri competitor from the cycling hobby, even if that swim person or marathon person is riding something minimally adequate or outdated and the hobby cyclist is on the best equipment. You just cannot overcome the deficiencies in swim and run and likely the transitions if you are only average or less at swimming / running while up against someone strong in those areas.
It is a fun sport that you'd really enjoy when we all can gather in large groups again.
The coolest part is the tri people. They don't "judge" based on the equipment and how much you might have forked out in dollars for it, they reserve "judgement" for what you can produce with your bicycle, your swimming and running. They have seen all the posers who believe you can buy greatness without actually becoming a great swimmer and at least a better than average runner but quickly realize that no, it doesn't happen that way at all.
The most fun is that the courses vary greatly depending on weather and temperature and like a golf course could be more difficult or slightly easier depending on such conditions. I recommend that anyone that thinks they might enjoy doing a tri, to give it a go, but make certain that you train seriously enough and make certain to train in realistic, compareable open water conditions.
haha this is a great copy/pasta. This is a better circlejerk than the Velominati rules.
Old 04-22-21, 11:59 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 836 Times in 405 Posts
Dangerous game taunting the Velominati. Just sayin'...
Old 04-22-21, 06:48 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
Everyone has their own tolerances for pain and adventure and excitement.
Jesus.
Old 04-22-21, 08:49 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Jesus.
What’s the risk in being Jesus? What is the reward? What is the uncertainty?
Old 04-22-21, 08:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
Bench racing as the car guys call it. Usually involves a pitcher or two.

Old 04-22-21, 10:39 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 384 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The guy did that in a pinstriped suit and tie...
Old 04-22-21, 10:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
What’s the risk in being Jesus? What is the reward? What is the uncertainty?
Jesus suffered fatal injuries. The sports we are discussing are generally a lot safer.
Old 04-23-21, 03:33 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCurse7
So I was wondering what is the safest discipline in cycling? (Mountain biking, cycle cross, road racing, etc)
The safest discipline in cycling is the one where you don't ride, that is the absolute safest and lowest risk of injury or death from cycling...you've gotten a lot of answers already, but since part of my job is risk management, I'll put it like this. Undertake only the risk youa re willing to bear, and in doing so make sure you put into place the proper mitigations (protective equipment, training/practice, maintenance of your equipment).
Old 04-23-21, 06:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 818 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCurse7
Hey so I want to get into racing and I did my first crit race and crashed at 30 mph luckily it was not to bad just a sore wrist and road rash. I really enjoy endurance sports and don't want to have a bad accident and be on a wheelchair for the rest of my life. So I was wondering what is the safest discipline in cycling? (Mountain biking, cycle cross, road racing, etc)
I'd just jump right into wheelchair racing and be done with it.
Old 04-23-21, 07:12 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
Riding both BMX and road bike IMHO falling off a road bike is way worse. The key is being able to bail and knowing how to fall, but on a road bike that's 100x harder. In the past I've landed on the stem, and been almost impaled on the drop bar. And you have much further to travel going over the bars. Where as on BMX I have fallen a few times a day/week trying tricks but I maybe crash my road bike every couple of years. So what is safer?

For me the biggest fear is drivers on the road and it doesn't matter what bike I am on.
I suppose BMX is pretty safe in general, but as with anything, bad accidents can and do happen sometimes. A few years ago a BMX rider around here suffered a fatal injury, falling on his handlebars and rupturing his spleen.