Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Night riding with coyotes.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Night riding with coyotes.

Old 04-22-21, 08:47 PM
JohnnyB65

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
You’re fine. Neighborhood dogs chase you to try to be Alpha over you.
You probably had yotes sleeping in the bushes riding in the city/burbs and you didn’t know it.

You are the last thing a desert song dog wants to deal with.
If you were a toddler/preschooler? Sure.
In the city I had to worry more about robbers and muggers. At least coyotes don't carry guns
Old 04-22-21, 08:49 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyB65
I’ve been told that they can sense health weaknesses which worries me because I’m over 70 with health issues
Don’t worry, HIPPA will prevent the coyotes from knowing anything about your health issues.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-22-21, 08:50 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I used to live in Arizona and never heard of problems with coyotes and cyclists, hikers or hunters. Now, you "could" encounter one with rabies but that's a one-off. My personal experience with coyotes, and I saw them virtually every night on our property, is that if they see you, they run away. You could arm yourself with a pepper spray if it makes you more comfortable but I don't think there's anything to worry about.
I just saw a news video of a rabid bob cat attack a woman getting in her car
Old 04-22-21, 08:51 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 70ssano
don’t worry, hippa will prevent the coyotes from knowing anything about your health issues.

John
lol
Old 04-22-21, 08:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Fear the rise of the robots!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-22-21, 11:01 PM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I see them every once in a while on the MUP that runs along the Arizona Canal and along Skunk Creek Wash in Glendale & Peoria, AZ. Usually in the half-hour before dawn but have seen a few in daylight. They don't pay much attention to me (aren't scared of humans,) and usually seem to be going somewhere and crossing the path. More of a danger to cats and rabbits. Don't worry about it.
Likes For Aroyobob:
Old 04-22-21, 11:36 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'd be shocked if you could get within 100 ft. of a coyote.
It's happened to me before. Mountain biking in broad daylight, I rounded a bend just in time to see one trotting off of the trail (probably because it heard me coming), but it stopped maybe 30 or 40 feet off the trail and just watched me ride by. The look on its face was curiosity, not fear or hunger. Another time a couple were walking down my street and saw my (medium sized) dogs next to me. They DID look at the dogs like they were contemplating their next meal, so I ushered them back in the house.

But yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of a coyote attacking a human, but plenty about pets.
Old 04-22-21, 11:49 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
What is a white claw?
It's what all the kids are drinking now...
Old 04-23-21, 12:26 AM
NeedARealBike

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I live in the desert too. No problem, they’re scrawny and run from humans. The bike lights scare them away from far out, specially on strobe modes. The real thing to worry about out here at night are the meth humans and various other insane people. Keep a pistol on you, lot of stupid white trash on the warm months. I notice the worst start creeping out of their garbage filled squats around June and are out til October or so.
Likes For NeedARealBike:
Old 04-23-21, 02:34 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
It's what all the kids are drinking now...
I have a new appreciation for budlight cans & bottles now that those WC containers are the norm in being pitched at me when road riding. Haven't had a full-one [WC] chucked at me yet, but they're still at a premium for demand that some wouldn't risk doin without.
Old 04-23-21, 05:36 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts
Coyotes are ever present here, but encounters are rare, and almost always uneventful. My wife had one come right up to her while she was resting during her morning walk a few months ago.
I'm sure people must be hand feeding them, and they are losing their fear of humans. Not a good thing.
She snapped this photo while they were just looking at each other.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 04-23-21, 06:45 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
We are surrounded by coyotes as we live out in the country. I started hunting them when they came into my horse barn and ate all 4 of my wife's barn cats. They are boogers to hunt, very smart and cunning. If they sniff one scent from a human, they're gone. If you happen to come across one or three, just make a lot of noise and stop riding. They'll scatter once you get off the bike.

Crazy story: A few months ago, I was in my man cave which looks out into the back pasture. As I walked by one of the windows, I caught a life form out of the corner of my eye. As I looked closer, it was a coyote, in the middle of the day, out about 250 yards from the house. He was eating something black but I couldn't tell what it was. All of my neighbors sheep and goats were lined up at their fence watching the coyote, which was weird. I ventured out the back door to see what he was eating and he ran off. As I got closer, I saw that he was eating a hawk. I wondered to myself how the heck that even happens and as I got closer, I saw blood and guts and rabbit fur right next to where the coyote was eating the hawk. So, apparently, the hawk killed the rabbit and while it was eating it on the ground, the coyote snuck up on it and ate the hawk and what was left of the rabbit. Craziest thing I've ever seen.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 04-23-21, 07:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Yotes and barn owls are way more ubiquitous than most realize. Most people just don’t see them during the day, so they don’t realize even in urban environments these type of animals are around.
Coyotes have been living in Cook County, IL, including within the city of Chicago, for ages. Almost never any human interaction. Coyote road kill has been found here in Philly. We have also had 3 black bears make their way into town over the last 5 years. Only one was captured, The other two are believed to have continued south.

So many folks are quite scared of, and uneducated about, the existence of wild life. i visited a wolf preserve in west central NJ many year back during a bike tour. They also had some fixes there that could not be released into the wild. One of the employees told us that when more city folk started moving to the relatively rural area (parts of NJ have a decent number of black bears) the police started receiving more and more calls from people thinking they were hearing women being attacked. Turned out that what they were hearing were foxes screaming.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-23-21 at 07:28 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-23-21, 08:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
But, if I ride alone at night, I take something that could double as a weapon. Anything that will poke and animals eye out if needed.
You have incredible aim. If I were in this position, I would want something that is more broad like a spray as I dont think I could poke the eye of a moving animal while I was on a moving bike. Thats Olympic level Biathlon type talent.
Old 04-23-21, 08:32 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Rare, but not never.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/04...-stanley-park/

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...drie-children/
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 04-23-21, 09:41 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
It is pup season, so there are some reports where I live of probably mama coyote being a bit more aggressive especially if people are running or walking with dogs on BLM trails.
Never had a problem with them while cycling.
I think there are probably a lot more coyotes nearby you and living among us that you never see, especially if a lot of cats in your neighborhood go missing.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 04-23-21, 09:46 AM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not afraid of them just walking down the road, but racing past them could trigger them into a chase.
Old 04-23-21, 10:09 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 600 Posts
My wife was a singer and would get home at two or three AM, when I would ride, so saw lots of coyotes, including packs that paced me when I rode, but never had a problem. I guess there's always the possibility that one (or more) could have rabies though.
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-23-21, 11:12 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I have a new appreciation for budlight cans & bottles now that those WC containers are the norm in being pitched at me when road riding. Haven't had a full-one [WC] chucked at me yet, but they're still at a premium for demand that some wouldn't risk doin without.
The wine cooler got a new package and trendy again? Didn’t know anything about White Claw till this thread.

Can’t stand bullies. Doesn’t matter which side of the law.

The OP probably doesn’t need anyone to tell him that drinking wine coolers while riding a bike will increase his chances of crashing which will increase his chances of being eaten by coyotes.

I would be a bit more concerned if their were mountain lions in the area.
Old 04-23-21, 11:16 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You have incredible aim. If I were in this position, I would want something that is more broad like a spray as I dont think I could poke the eye of a moving animal while I was on a moving bike. Thats Olympic level Biathlon type talent.
just gotta practice more.

Old 04-23-21, 11:18 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Coyotes have been living in Cook County, IL, including within the city of Chicago, for ages. Almost never any human interaction.
I'm in a dense commuter rail suburb in DuPage, and I see coyotes on a regular basis. They will walk past my driveway in the middle of the day, paying no mind to anyone around. They are really more of a threat to pets than humans.
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 04-23-21, 12:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
My impression is it does happen (definitely), but it's so unusual that no one can generalize what is and isn't a trigger.

This one seems to have taken a dislike to mountain bikers:
​​​​​​​
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/north-...nd-hikers.html
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-23-21, 12:52 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
My impression is it does happen (definitely), but it's so unusual that no one can generalize what is and isn't a trigger.

This one seems to have taken a dislike to mountain bikers:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/north-...nd-hikers.html
Oh WOW, so it does happen, Thanks for the info
Old 04-23-21, 12:58 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 286 Posts
Recently, I boiled a coyote skull clean. I was amazed at how thick the musculature was all over it. It seemed to me that hitting one in the head with anything short of an axe would give it a bruise, not a concussion.
Old 04-23-21, 01:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Recently, I boiled a coyote skull clean. I was amazed at how thick the musculature was all over it. It seemed to me that hitting one in the head with anything short of an axe would give it a bruise, not a concussion.

My understanding is that in large parts of the country, the coyotes are interbreeding with wolves and getting really big and strong. I saw one of these hybrids running across the highway in Londonderry NH and it was huge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.