Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclists behaving badly

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclists behaving badly

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 10:59 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Cyclists behaving badly

Old 08-03-18, 02:22 AM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I understand that running stop signs is a dick move, but about half of that video showed the cyclists on narrow roads with no shoulder. A single cyclist in that situation should probably take the lane so functionally what is the difference between several cyclists filling the lane or one cyclist taking the lane? Either way the passing motorist is going to have to cross the center line in order to pass.

Granted there were also sections with a shoulder where single file would have been the way to go.
Old 08-03-18, 04:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Oh, look, it's this again.

Let's make it simple...

A typical group of cyclists bunched together takes up the same room as any vehicle from a car to a school bus, depending on the number of participants.

Taking the full lane, two or more abreast, makes the group more compact, shorter and easier to pass safely.

The same group strung out single file is harder to pass safely and invites incompetent drivers to attempt dangerous passes.

Passing said group of cyclists is no different from passing a slower moving car, horse drawn carriage or school bus. Any driver who can't figure out such an elementary problem shouldn't be driving at all.

And the reason said group of cyclists practices the Idaho Stop at traffic indication markers is the same reason why a motorist isn't expected to disassemble his vehicle and pass it, piece by piece, through a stop sign intersection, with the front bumper stopping, then the hood stopping, then the passenger compartment stopping, then the trunk, and finally the rear bumper. The group of cyclists passes smoothly together through the intersection as a group which takes up the same space as a motor vehicle.

​​​​​​Google the Idaho Stop for the correct practice, as explained by an Idaho bike mounted police officer. It's not chaos, a riot or daredevil free for all ignoring basic safety and pissing off drivers.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/words-deeds/article172582841.html

Last edited by canklecat; 08-03-18 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 04:44 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Oh, look, it's this again.

Let's make it simple...

A typical group of cyclists bunched together takes up the same room as any vehicle from a car to a school bus, depending on the number of participants.

Taking the full lane, two or more abreast, makes the group more compact, shorter and easier to pass safely.

The same group strung out single file is harder to pass safely and invites incompetent drivers to attempt dangerous passes.

Passing said group of cyclists is no different from passing a slower moving car, horse drawn carriage or school bus. Any driver who can't figure out such an elementary problem shouldn't be driving at all.

And the reason said group of cyclists practices the Idaho Stop at traffic indication markers is the same reason why a motorist isn't expected to disassemble his vehicle and pass it, piece by piece, through a stop sign intersection, with the front bumper stopping, then the hood stopping, then the passenger compartment stopping, then the trunk, and finally the rear bumper. The group of cyclists passes smoothly together through the intersection as a group which takes up the same space as a motor vehicle.

​​​​​​Google the Idaho Stop for the correct practice, as explained by an Idaho bike mounted police officer. It's not chaos, a riot or daredevil free for all ignoring basic safety and pissing off drivers.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/words-deeds/article172582841.html
If you are not cycling in Idaho there is absolutely no reason to reference the Idaho law.
References to horse drawn carriages and the amount of space certain vehicles take up on the road does not change the fact that the above cyclists are wrong.
Old 08-03-18, 04:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

If you are not cycling in Idaho there is absolutely no reason to reference the Idaho law.
References to horse drawn carriages and the amount of space certain vehicles take up on the road does not change the fact that the above cyclists are wrong.
If you think the Idaho Stop practice is irrelevant to cyclists everywhere then you aren't experienced or informed enough to discuss the issue.
Old 08-03-18, 05:49 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Another one of those "I don't like cyclists on the road" threads. I get that some folks don't, but I have little concern for their feelings. These cyclists are riding in an absolutely proper manner. I have large groups riding where I live and sometimes you can get stuck behind them for 3 or 4 miles. But I've found it doesn't really slow you down that much.. I was behind a group not long ago for the entire 3-1/2 miles out to the main highway and I realized it only added about 2 minutes to my trip.

When I first started reading these forums, there were some cyclists who said the problem with "Share the Road" signs was some drivers thought it meant bicyclists were supposed to pull over to let cars pass. I couldn't see that as a problem, but I realize now I was wrong. I now prefer the "Bicycles May Use Full Lane" signs as they are less ambiguous.
Old 08-03-18, 06:04 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Notice how in the video, there were plenty of people on bikes in ones and twos going in the other direction, and the cars were having absolutely no problem getting around those people, they weren't even mentioned. Instead, they follow alongside the group and yell out inane questions until the cyclists get tired of it and lose their cool. Which is what they focus on.

Sure, the classic journalism formula. Create an unpleasant situation, then blame your victims for reacting to it. Mike Wallace would be proud.

I do think large groups often do behave badly on the roads, that's one reason why I avoid them. But reporters in cars yelling stuff at people, while it generates some compelling video of pissed off cyclists and "French Waves", only creates more tension between cars and bikes. And who knows. might give some angry SUV driver the validation he needs to take the next step and go mow some bicyclists down.
Old 08-03-18, 06:40 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Those cyclists should have given the motorists what the motorists want. A single file line of bicycles spaced 2 bike lengths apart and FRAP, which on that road would be anywhere in the lane.
Old 08-03-18, 06:45 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

This is a great video to demonstrate why two abreast is best on narrow roads.

Old 08-03-18, 07:15 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
This is a great video to demonstrate why two abreast is best on narrow roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NGdQDEkWCE
Right, but facts have nothing to do with it. Just seeing cyclists "in the way" is a major trigger for some. In some (many?) motorists minds, they should never have to slow down for cyclists.

Having said that, there's no way I will ever ride in a group that runs stops with other traffic around as shown in the OP video.
Old 08-03-18, 07:15 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
The cycling club should have split into smaller groups. My club as a policy that when there are > 12 riders, we split up. Makes life much easier for motorists.

Some people here need to remember that in a war against cars we lose. The vast majority of the voting population are car drivers, not cyclists. Politicians know this. If you want things to get better, being a jerk, selectively obeying laws and frustrating drivers is not the best strategy.
Old 08-03-18, 07:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A group that size, if they all moved over single file you'd still have to swing over to the other lane to pass, but you'd be over there for 2 or 3 times as long. Is that really what the news reporter wanted?
Old 08-03-18, 07:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by OBoile
The cycling club should have split into smaller groups. My club as a policy that when there are > 12 riders, we split up. Makes life much easier for motorists.

Some people here need to remember that in a war against cars we lose. The vast majority of the voting population are car drivers, not cyclists. Politicians know this. If you want things to get better, being a jerk, selectively obeying laws and frustrating drivers is not the best strategy.
I won't ride with any size group that doesn't treat motorists courteously or that blatantly breaks the law. At a certain size on certain roads a group becomes a rolling roadblock, and that's not cool.
Old 08-03-18, 07:56 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
A group that size, if they all moved over single file you'd still have to swing over to the other lane to pass, but you'd be over there for 2 or 3 times as long. Is that really what the news reporter wanted?
They really don't think it out like that.

I think perception has a lot to do with it. If the cyclists are as far right as they can go, single file, and the driver still can not pass, that's less of an injustice in their minds. There's not enough room and the driver gets to decide not to pass. The cyclists are at least trying to stay out of the way, which is the correct order in the motorists mind.

But when faced with cyclists riding two abreast, it's the law breaking cyclists who are "blocking" them out, preventing a pass. This just can't be!

I'm not saying it's right, or a reason to not ride two abreast, but I believe this is how many motorists think.
Old 08-03-18, 08:12 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
They really don't think it out like that.

I think perception has a lot to do with it. If the cyclists are as far right as they can go, single file, and the driver still can not pass, that's less of an injustice in their minds. ...
I think the perception has everything to do with it

The group I've ridden with does "car back" and move over single file, which is fine with me because I do the same thing riding by myself. Minus calling out "car back" of course. It probably doesn't help them pass but there's less friction that way.

That reporter, driving alongside the group of cyclists and yelling out at them, I can't help but wonder if he does the same thing when he's off the clock. It would be ironic if someone caught it on his go-pro and it aired on a rival segment on road rage.
Old 08-03-18, 08:17 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If the group in the OP's video rode single file, it would be a line of cyclists about a quarter of a mile long. Now let's have them behave as ultra-upstanding members of society and come to a full and complete stop at every light and signal.

How happy will those obnoxious drivers be when they have to wait for a quarter mile of cyclists to get through an intersection one at a time? The people in San Francisco didn't like it much. It didn't change anything, but they still didn't like it.

The "same road, same rules" argument is idiotic. If a person cannot comprehend the difference between 20lbs doing 20mph and 4000lbs doing 60mph, they shouldn't be allowed on the roads at all.

Obnoxious anti-cycling blowhards are upset because a bicycle made their trip to the liquor store take an extra 23 seconds. Meanwhile, we're all just trying not to get killed.
Old 08-03-18, 09:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I think the perception has everything to do with it

The group I've ridden with does "car back" and move over single file, which is fine with me because I do the same thing riding by myself. Minus calling out "car back" of course. It probably doesn't help them pass but there's less friction that way.

That reporter, driving alongside the group of cyclists and yelling out at them, I can't help but wonder if he does the same thing when he's off the clock. It would be ironic if someone caught it on his go-pro and it aired on a rival segment on road rage.

I agree completely about perception and do just as you do when I ride. The reporter was an idiot. He sends the message to viewers that it's OK to yell at cyclists, that it's OK to call out bad behavior on the road. I wonder if the reporter has ever done a segment on distracted drivers where he sent the message to his viewers that it's OK to verbally challenge them on the road.
Old 08-03-18, 09:44 AM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If the group in the OP's video rode single file, it would be a line of cyclists about a quarter of a mile long. Now let's have them behave as ultra-upstanding members of society and come to a full and complete stop at every light and signal.

How happy will those obnoxious drivers be when they have to wait for a quarter mile of cyclists to get through an intersection one at a time? The people in San Francisco didn't like it much. It didn't change anything, but they still didn't like it.
Who says they have to ride in one group? Seems to me that breaking up into smaller groups would be the prudent thing to do. Unless those guys like each other so much that they can't stand not being able to see each other.
Old 08-03-18, 09:49 AM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
This argument just sounds ridiculous.
Old 08-03-18, 09:51 AM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I agree completely about perception and do just as you do when I ride. The reporter was an idiot. He sends the message to viewers that it's OK to yell at cyclists, that it's OK to call out bad behavior on the road. I wonder if the reporter has ever done a segment on distracted drivers where he sent the message to his viewers that it's OK to verbally challenge them on the road.
Had the cyclists not taken the bait and responded, it would have been a non issue.
Old 08-03-18, 09:56 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Tape2012
Who says they have to ride in one group? Seems to me that breaking up into smaller groups would be the prudent thing to do. Unless those guys like each other so much that they can't stand not being able to see each other.
But why should they have to ride separately? Simply so as not to inconvenience a few motorists for a few seconds a few times a week?

Mind you, this is coming from a person who rides almost exclusively solo. I would never expect a group ride to break up into smaller groups so as to seem less obtrusive. It wouldn't solve anything anyway. The loudmouths who complain would come upon the slowest group and say, "Oh great, a bunch of idiots on bikes in my way." Then a minute down the road, "Oh wonderful, even more idiots slowing me down." You have to understand: so long as cycling is a thing, these are people who cannot be pleased.
Old 08-03-18, 10:09 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Couple of things that really stand out in the OP video...
  • "Forced to pass on a double yellow..." How, just how is any motorist FORCED to pass at any time??? Frankly as a driver, I simply wait until there is a safe place to pass... not on a hill, not on a curve and not where there are solid double yellow lines... I usually wait no more time than I might wait at a stop light. I am never "forced." I find my motor vehicle performs just fine at 10MPH as well as at 35 or 45MPH... with nothing more than a slight change of pressure on the gas pedal.
  • "Ride in a single file line" Why? You still have to pass, and on narrow roads this still means moving over the center line, and single file line means twice as long a line to pass.
  • "Share the road" Um, this works both ways folks... motorists share too, and should only CHOOSE to pass when safe to do so
  • "There are no horse drawn carriages." Fine, are there ever tractors on this road... do you still have to cross the center line to pass them?
  • Rolling thru stop signs. OK, fine... Each cyclist can stop and the motorists can wait for each and every cyclist to come to a stop, and then start. (that IS the alternative motorists seem to be calling for...)
Bottom line, some motorists encounter some cyclists on infrequent occasions, and freak out as they are temporarily delayed a few seconds... perhaps it is time for motorists to come to the realization that the delay is not that great, that automobiles DO NOT OWN the road, and others need not kowtow for a single driver's convenience, and last, amazing how cyclists are "the problem..." but stop and go rush hour traffic of single drivers in huge vehicles is "no problem" what so ever.

So no, this is not cyclists behaving badly... it is motorists feeling entitled to the road... and not being willing to share... "share" sometimes means, you go slow for a bit.
Remember "speed LIMIT" is not the speed you must drive, but the speed you must not exceed.
Old 08-03-18, 10:18 AM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
But why should they have to ride separately? Simply so as not to inconvenience a few motorists for a few seconds a few times a week?

Mind you, this is coming from a person who rides almost exclusively solo. I would never expect a group ride to break up into smaller groups so as to seem less obtrusive. It wouldn't solve anything anyway. The loudmouths who complain would come upon the slowest group and say, "Oh great, a bunch of idiots on bikes in my way." Then a minute down the road, "Oh wonderful, even more idiots slowing me down." You have to understand: so long as cycling is a thing, these are people who cannot be pleased.
I look at it this way. Is it easier to pass 4 vehicles closely spaced so that you have to pass them all at once or to pass 4 vehicles spaced out so you can pass them one at a time?

Plus there is no driving reason why a large group of cyclists must ride together.

Like you I mostly ride solo or in very small groups. When you ride in a large group you are expected to ride like the group does, and I refuse to do that if I don't agree with what they are doing. Plus in a large group you are bound to have at least one type A jerk wad who ruins it for everyone else.
Old 08-03-18, 10:45 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Those bicyclists should not be on the road. They should all ride on the sidewalk instead. [/dumb internet commenter]
Old 08-03-18, 11:37 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Tape2012

Looking at the road they were on, If I were in a car, I'd rather deal with that one large group than have them broken down into four smaller groups. YMMV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.