Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the safest cycling race discipline?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the safest cycling race discipline?

Old 04-26-20, 01:20 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Except that you’re not racing down. Every hill climb I know of is timed to the top, and it’s neutral on the way down. Mt Diablo would pace you down in groups, when I did it, at least.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Mt. Washington requires the bike to go down on a car or truck. No downhill riding at all.
Absolutely disgusting. I could never EVER climb 1 foot up a hill if I knew I wouldn’t be allowed to rail the descent.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 04-26-20, 01:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Absolutely disgusting. I could never EVER climb 1 foot up a hill if I knew I wouldn’t be allowed to rail the descent.

Careful of those one foot descents, though, some of them are tricky.

Mt. Washington is actually a steeper climb than anything on the TdF.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-27-20, 04:56 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Having done road races, time trials, and hill climbs in the past I can concur that hill climbs are the safest form of racing.

The two worst cycling accidents I've had happened on normal Sunday rides, one with the club, and one with my daughter.
Likes For ExPatTyke:
Old 04-27-20, 12:31 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Individual pursuit is probably pretty safe.
But damn it hurts. The only time I road pursuit I got 2nd in the state championships (1st time I had ever ridden the track) but I was coughing up blood for a few minutes afterwards.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 04-27-20, 03:17 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 472 Posts
Crits are probably the most dangerous. Road races, especially ones that have a bunch of climbing temd to be pretty safe. Time trials should be safe but people wreck in those all the time, mostly due to pushing it. Hill climbs are great.

Triathlon is safe if you're know how to swim. I have seen people eat it hard there, a tri bike down a steep hill can be unruly.

Have you considered chess?
Old 04-27-20, 03:54 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Racing on one of them peloton bikes in your living room is bout the safest I imagine
Likes For Chad991:
Old 04-28-20, 06:08 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Except that you’re not racing down. Every hill climb I know of is timed to the top, and it’s neutral on the way down. Mt Diablo would pace you down in groups, when I did it, at least.
I have been in some races with mountain top finishes, but there were usually several climbs and descents before the finish. I am not masochistic enough to think hill climbs are fun, and to compete in a race which is entirely uphill, and I have ridden the alto d L'Angliru. That was a hell of a climb for a sprinter like myself.
Old 04-28-20, 07:25 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don’t think anyone says that they’re fun. The question was whether they are safe.
Old 04-28-20, 09:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
To me, road/crit can be pretty bad. I went to the hospital for a sprint crash at the end of a race this year.

I crash almost EVERY cyclocross ride. A little washout or something. It's slower and usually not life altering stuff. I feel cyclocross is THE 'road' bike thing to do if you want to race bikes that way. I feel it's pretty safe.

Time trial? Yeah, most here are still open road so not any safer than a solo training ride is. Also, downhill on the TT bike I'll hit 40's mph. There's no way to say that is safe in anyway IMHO. Despite the improvement from not being in a rabid bunch of Cat 5 roadies.

So, my ultimate vote is for slower/muddier cyclocross races. I think the fastest avg speed for a 30min race was like 14mph. That was good for almost a top 10 despite a little slide out mid-race I had and almost vomiting mid-race. The single-speed division is really more "fun" and super friendly and friendly on the wallet bike wise.

So, my #1 would be single-speed cyclocross racing.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-20-21, 09:52 AM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
T
So, my ultimate vote is for slower/muddier cyclocross races. That was good for almost a top 10 despite a little slide out mid-race I had and almost vomiting mid-race.
Almost? Clearly you aren't riding hard enough.
Old 04-20-21, 10:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Individual pursuit at a velodrome has to be the safest outdoor form of outdoor racing.

Old 04-20-21, 10:35 AM
rickpaulos

Originally Posted by DeathCurse7
Hey so I want to get into racing and I did my first crit race and crashed at 30 mph luckily it was not to bad just a sore wrist and road rash. I really enjoy endurance sports and don't want to have a bad accident and be on a wheelchair for the rest of my life. So I was wondering what is the safest discipline in cycling? (Mountain biking, cycle cross, road racing, etc)
I talked to the local ambulance barn some years ago. They said they were making daily runs to the nearby mountain bike trails. No races, just newbs and dweebs riding into trees or just falling down and tearing shoulder muscles or breaking collar bones. Mostly first time crashers who panic and call 911.

By far the most dangerous discipline is riding or training on the roads by yourself. National death rates for bicyclists out number race deaths by 1000x. Deaths in organized races are pretty rare.

Injuries in races. I worked as a ref for 30 years. I scraped up countless falls, sat on some and had to stop races to let the ambulances get the victims out. You get all kinds. Potential for any injury are high in most disciplines but its the serious injuries to worry about. Riding into a parking meter or concrete planter at the crit course is usually worse than a pile up. Yet, most crashes are not all that serious despite what spectators, ambulance drivers or newbie racers think. I have yet to see any really serious injury in cx. The rest (road, crit, track, mtb, tt), yep. In one road race a guy knocked out for 10 minutes, when he came to he insisted he could catch the peloton. The golfball size lump on his head said, no way are you moving until the EMS gets here. Another crashed in a crit, decided to drive himself home. Woke up at 3 am coughing blood, wife took him to the hospital. Had a few broken ribs and a punctured lung. Meh. Tough guy, eh? Another broke his pelvis in a crit, decided to drive himself home. After 50 miles of driving he stopped by a hospital and got career ending treatment from a clueless resident covering the holiday weekend shift. Another 30 miles and he would have gotten expert care and been back on the bike in a few months. At one cx I organized, a junior (minor) crash and broke his collarbone before the race, before signing up. No release. His older team mates made him wait for the race to conclude before they would drive him the 2 hours back home. One of my training buddies broke his collar bone 7 times that I know of. He was more pissed about having to take some time off the bike. My sister in law rode off the edge of the pavement, tried to steer back on and crashed, broke her collarbone and I've been hearing about it for 20 years why she won't ride a bike again. My mom turned 90 this year. Still riding! 87 years so far! She learned to ride a bike on real gravel roads. yeah. She crashes about once a year. She has so much experience falling off her bike she knows how to avoid getting seriously hurt. 3 trips to the emergency room in the past 15 years. Two of those hauled in by panicky friends or relatives. Everyone has their own tolerances for pain and adventure and excitement.
Old 04-20-21, 11:36 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
BMX F1...Oh wait it doesn't exist anymore because it was too boring.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 04-20-21, 11:36 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Not all crits are dangerous. I watched a Strider crit one day that seemed pretty safe.
Old 04-20-21, 02:17 PM
rickpaulos

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Not all crits are dangerous. I watched a Strider crit one day that seemed pretty safe.
Just for kids or did they have an adult version? How about a antique category for the original strider. 200 pounds of iron and wood and no brakes.
Old 04-20-21, 02:51 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Individual pursuit at a velodrome has to be the safest outdoor form of outdoor racing.
^This^. The Kilo and 500 for older folks is the same. The 200 and it's end result the Match Sprint aren't too bad. Team Sprint is great. Stay away from my favorite, the Keirin.
Old 04-20-21, 04:51 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
You can suffer very serious injury in cyclocross even if the speeds are not high and the ground is generally soft. Too easy to simply break your neck or punch your guts by handlebars or hitting a tree head on, countless possibilities.

One way to prevent accidents happening by one's own fault is not to ride past some limit when you become careless from being too tired out. Then it is like being drunk, attention span and situation awareness goes down and that's when accidents happen.

Experience also helps to prevent being in accidents since it enables you to keep cool head in difficult situations like those road mass sprints. That is a good advice but you need to stay in one piece to eventually get it, the experience I mean, no easy feat.

Last edited by vane171; 04-20-21 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-20-21, 06:40 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 707 Times in 345 Posts
Try a Madison event on the track. You're only racing half the race. So your risk of crashing is reduced 50%. And remember, NO exchanges in the last 200 meters.
Old 04-20-21, 07:45 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by rickpaulos
Almost? Clearly you aren't riding hard enough.
Not during, I held it. I did after the race. Head cold and hard work. That junk went to the belly during the race. Wanted out afterwards. Found a tree to hide behind.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-20-21, 07:55 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Try a Madison event on the track. You're only racing half the race. So your risk of crashing is reduced 50%. And remember, NO exchanges in the last 200 meters.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-20-21, 07:56 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Zwift
Old 04-20-21, 09:33 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Gran Fondos. Most riders just treat them like leisurely century rides, but they are timed.
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 04-21-21, 05:56 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 707 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCurse7
Hey so I want to get into racing and I did my first crit race and crashed at 30 mph luckily it was not to bad just a sore wrist and road rash. I really enjoy endurance sports and don't want to have a bad accident and be on a wheelchair for the rest of my life. So I was wondering what is the safest discipline in cycling? (Mountain biking, cycle cross, road racing, etc)
I think the first year I raced I crashed in one out of three races. But I was learning. Second year only crashed a couple times. After that it was rare to go down. Its a learning curve. And when you figure it out you'll be a darn good bike handler and racer. Of course age is a factor too. At 15 yrs old you crash and pop right back up.
Old 04-21-21, 06:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

This sound super lame, but I came across a random Ebay find a while ago........Keirin armor. Apparently for track racing Keirin it is almost like cycling padding for track racers.

Typically, we have some early season crits and road races. Given how cold it is you could wear it with no aero penalty at all. Nobody would likely even notice it.

My thing with some of the road stuff is after my road crash, I'd like to see an integrated face hoop on race helmets. It protected my noggin, but my face was hamburger. A company was working on one, but probably since it isn't by a major maker of helmets has languished.

I call this "vaporware", basically a design project and nothing more.
https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/18/ven...ng-protection/
Old 04-21-21, 06:08 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Gran Fondos. Most riders just treat them like leisurely century rides, but they are timed.
Also, to make them safer around here.....some of them now only time segments UP a few climbs where they total your efforts. In between you have a "max" amount of time to get to each segment start to get in under the overall time limit.

That way you don't wind up with a multi category impromptu 100mi rolling road race of crazies.
Likes For burnthesheep:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.