Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized invents the hybrid bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-07-20, 11:14 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 972 Posts

The Diverge Evo is flat bar gravel bike with fatter tires and a dropper post - a mountain bike / gravel bike hybrid!

https://bikepacking.com/news/2021-specialized-diverge/
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-08-20, 02:04 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
A 90s mountain bike is now the new advanced technology. We've come a long way baby

Old 05-08-20, 02:25 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Look at the range of that drivetrain. Tiny front crank, gigantic cassette
Likes For adlai:
Old 05-08-20, 05:08 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
So hybrids will be considered "cool" now? You know, like they had to invent a new name for drop bar hybrids because "gravel bike" sounds so much cooler than a "Fred machine".
Likes For subgrade:
Old 05-08-20, 05:35 AM
csuperbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I think we will see more bikes just like this in the future.
Likes For csuperbike:
Old 05-08-20, 05:48 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
A 90s mountain bike is now the new advanced technology. We've come a long way baby
Everything old becomes new again
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 05-08-20, 06:11 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
That was my first thought when I saw the pic and before I read your comment. "We've gone full circle..the 90s rigid comes back with some juicing up to fit modern trends"

I'd guess it's lighter than the old 90s lower-end bikes, but the very good 90s models can still be had..for very low money and would probably compete with this bike very well in specs and performance.

Last edited by fishboat; 05-08-20 at 10:44 AM. Reason: corrected terminology
Likes For fishboat:
Old 05-08-20, 07:10 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
That was my first thought when I saw the pic and before I read your comment. "We've gone full circle..the 90s hardtail comes back with some juicing up to fit modern trends"

I'd guess it's lighter than the old 90s lower-end bikes, but the very good 90s models can still be had..for very low money and would probably compete with this bike very well in specs and performance.
Oh I like it, she's a Beaut. But the bike weight savings not worth it to the $1,600-$2,600 wallet shaving my lollygagging style would warrent. My Montague X70 with a Surly Troll solid fork just fine. To the Hammers out their looks like a sweet ride in the right hands.

Old 05-08-20, 09:04 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
How is this one different from a "29-er" with a cost-reduced single chainring setup?
Old 05-08-20, 09:41 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I hope that those shifters and brake levers are functional because they sure look clunky.
Old 05-08-20, 09:41 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 49 Posts
Although I agree with those saying this is a rehash of old technology, I think it's good to have some new bikes available in this category. The majority of new mountain bikes seem to be focused on more and more slack geometry and suspension designed for very rough and aggressive terrain. Gravel and other relatively smooth trail riding is really gaining popularity as you don't need to deal with the distracted drivers and poor infrastructure in most areas for road cycling and can enjoy a more scenic environment while covering extended distances and not dealing with major obstacles. Older mountain bikes were fantastic for this, but not everyone already has one, and lots of people buy and like new bikes.

These bikes that are enjoyable on anything but hardcore trails are great. I own a Salsa Cutthroat which has drop bars and a little more tire clearance but has been serving this niche for quite a while. For many people, a flat bar is preferable, especially if they aren't planning to ride longer distances where different hand positions become more beneficial.

I don't think Specialized is claiming to have invented something new, simply continued the progression of morphing characteristics of road bikes and mountain bikes together to meet the changing desires of riders.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 05-08-20, 09:59 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I said early 90's MTB first time I saw it, but I could see hybrid as well.
Old 05-08-20, 10:06 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I think this is a good bike setup, a lot of modern bike design has gone off in left field or into very specialized areas most people just don't need.
Old 05-08-20, 10:07 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Throw a 1x on it and use future shock vs headshock and you've got Marketing
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 05-08-20, 10:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I hope that those shifters and brake levers are functional because they sure look clunky.
That’s hydraulic brake levers for ya. Many of them are so ugly that you have to hang a pork chop around them to get the dog to play with them

Originally Posted by fishboat
That was my first thought when I saw the pic and before I read your comment. "We've gone full circle..the 90s hardtail comes back with some juicing up to fit modern trends"

That’s not a “90’s hardtail”. It’s an 80s rigid.

Originally Posted by Oneder
I think this is a good bike setup, a lot of modern bike design has gone off in left field or into very specialized areas most people just don't need.
That bike is still out in left field. It just isn’t watching bugs in left field like so many modern bikes are.

Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
Throw a 1x on it and use future shock vs headshock and you've got Marketing
I only occasionally lurk on the Gravelbike Forums but I have run across the idea of putting suspension on gravel bikes. When you do that, what is the difference between that and a mountain bike? My “gravel bike” is a Moots YBBeat

with suspension front and rear. My “gravel” tends to run more towards the larger size...

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-08-20, 03:31 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I only occasionally lurk on the Gravelbike Forums but I have run across the idea of putting suspension on gravel bikes. When you do that, what is the difference between that and a mountain bike? My “gravel bike” is a Moots YBBeat
If the suspension is 60mm or less, then it's a gravel bike. If it's 61mm or more, then it's a mountain bike.
Old 05-08-20, 03:59 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by tyrion
If the suspension is 60mm or less, then it's a gravel bike. If it's 61mm or more, then it's a mountain bike.
So would my old mountain bike with a first generation Manitou suspension fork be a mountain bike or a gravel bike?

Frankly, I thought the whole idea of a gravel bike was the rugged simplicity without suspension...kind of like the rigid mountain bike I put that first gen Manitou on.

Finally, the YBB has 100 mm of suspension on the front and about 40mm in the back. Mountain bike? Gravel bike? Both? Neither?
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-08-20, 04:55 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I think people are being unnecessarily harsh on Specialized. I personally love the idea of a proper hybrid. The dropper post might be a bit much, but my first “real bike” was a front suspension hybrid. It absolutely sucked - but that was because I paid $350 for it from bikesdirect.

For people who do a majority of slow or offroad riding and don’t ride in packs, a hybrid with clearance for MTB tires if necessary makes a lot of sense.

I’ve done a couple of black diamond trails on my hybrid. I pinch flatted a bunch (no TL, small 45mm tires), I knocked the wheels out of true, and the crappy mechanical brakes didn’t work even on flat roads. A hybrid with good tires and modern tech would fix almost all the issues I had.

I’d argue that most of the fun of MTBing is being underbiked. How many people buying these 150-180mm full suspension, 2.6” tire, DH geometry bikes actually ride EWS level courses and have the need to go as fast as possible?

I’ve taken my rim brake crit bike with carbon race wheels and 25mm race tires on rocky singletrack with few issues. I can’t imagine how boring it must be to lug around a shred sled everywhere.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 05-08-20, 06:29 PM
tyrion

So would my old mountain bike with a first generation Manitou suspension fork be a mountain bike or a gravel bike?
If it has 26 inch wheels - mountain bike.

Frankly, I thought the whole idea of a gravel bike was the rugged simplicity without suspension...kind of like the rigid mountain bike I put that first gen Manitou on.
I agree. I don't think the suspended gravel bikes will be very popular. I do think this "flat bar gravel bike" style will be popular.

Finally, the YBB has 100 mm of suspension on the front and about 40mm in the back. Mountain bike? Gravel bike? Both? Neither?
If either the front or the back has more than 60mm travel - mountain bike.
Old 05-08-20, 06:43 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
well, at least they got it right by using a 68mm BSA bottom bracket!
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 05-08-20, 07:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
What the hell is the point of a 50mm dropper? S/B 125, mountain bikes are moving to 170

Edit: my question every time is why, didn't they go further? If they wanted to do a dropper why does it still have a pretty long x 27.2 road-bike seat tube? Why brag on your steering when it's utterly conventional? What's the point of this ridiculous little 2cm suspension stem if you are going to install 2" tires? Who knew NX 11-speed was still around?
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-08-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 08:34 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by tyrion
If it has 26 inch wheels - mountain bike.

I agree. I don't think the suspended gravel bikes will be very popular. I do think this "flat bar gravel bike" style will be popular.

If either the front or the back has more than 60mm travel - mountain bike.
Sorry but that all seems a bit arbitrary. But then I find the whole “gravel bike” thing to be rather arbitrary as well. I have a Salsa Las Cruces cyclocross bike that isn’t any different from “gravel bikes”. My touring bike is capable of “gravel”...I did hundreds of miles of it in Canada and canal paths of New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Pennsylvania...while carrying enough stuff for living on the road for weeks on end.

Frankly, the whole “gravel bike” thing is a bit pretentious.

Old 05-08-20, 08:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 704 Posts
I don't get what makes this one different or special? The raleigh Alysa 4 was something I bought my parents 2 years ago as a year old sale to get them on a newer and easier to ride bike.
https://www.amazon.com/Raleigh-Bikes...dp/B01N0DJWXN/
Hybrid frame with spacing for wider tires, 1x11 speed, riser bar, carbon fork, and hydraulic discs. Can't remember the name of the men's version but it just came in red and neither looks as boring as the trek. Was a really nice bike for 1100 and since my parents could never figure out their chainrings it was the first time I decided 1x had some utility. Just needed to add a chainguard.
Old 05-08-20, 10:39 PM
tyrion

Sorry but that all seems a bit arbitrary. But then I find the whole “gravel bike” thing to be rather arbitrary as well. I have a Salsa Las Cruces cyclocross bike that isn’t any different from “gravel bikes”. My touring bike is capable of “gravel”...I did hundreds of miles of it in Canada and canal paths of New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Pennsylvania...while carrying enough stuff for living on the road for weeks on end.

Frankly, the whole “gravel bike” thing is a bit pretentious.
To fully experience the essence of the gravel road - to truly understand it - you need a gravel bike. Not a mountain bike, not a cross bike, a gravel bike. Some people don't about the fullness of the gravel experience, and that's ok.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-08-20, 10:58 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 750 Posts
Serious question: what's the point of a dropper seat post on a bike intended for cruising off pavement- as opposed to "real" mountain biking?
Likes For Camilo:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.