Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Ti Bike Did You Buy and Why? Happy or Not?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which Ti Bike Did You Buy and Why? Happy or Not?

Old 01-17-21, 12:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
I've not owned a ti bike, but anyone who is considering one should check out Moots.

OT: indyfabz , I've seen the photo of your bike a few times, and am wondering about your height? Looks like a tall headtube. (Not that I'm knocking it - my custom frame probably has an even taller headtube to accommodate my height and a damaged back.)
Old 01-17-21, 03:18 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
I built up my first Ti bike less than two months ago. I went with a 2020 Lynskey Helix Disc-brushed finish and I'm glad I finally went Ti as this was something I've been contemplating for years. It has not disappointed me one bit. Handling is sharp which is a key factor on whether or not I decide to keep a bike. It just reacts so smoothly that even when pushing hard out of the saddle, I almost feel its a bit too well behaved.
Old 01-17-21, 04:38 PM
AJ1515

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I became a bit obsessed with Ti while teaching on the Southie/North Dorchester border and being walking distance from Firefly cycles. Those guys can make a bike.

Found a small British company, Aphelion Cycles, and had them build this track/single speed during the summer. Absolutely love it. Since this picture, I've put on a 48t Mojo chain ring--both stiffer and lighter weight than what Aphelion supplied. I've got 25mm GP5000 on the Ellipses, and the ride is so, so nice.

Likes For AJ1515:
Old 01-17-21, 04:59 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Thanks all for your input so far. I'd love to hear more about No 22, Moots and Seven bikes. I think it is Seven that routinely does custom frames. I may be interested in that. I'm 5' 5.5" with short legs and extremely inflexible. I started a stretching routine six months ago which has helped somewhat, but I'll never be a yoga instructor. Even as a high school track and football player, I was the guy who could never touch his toes during team stretches.

As far as color is concerned, I love the plain bare titanium steel with either an etched or braised logo... but those No 22 anodized frames are super sexy.
Old 01-17-21, 05:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Thanks all for your input so far. I'd love to hear more about No 22, Moots and Seven bikes. I think it is Seven that routinely does custom frames. I may be interested in that. I'm 5' 5.5" with short legs and extremely inflexible. I started a stretching routine six months ago which has helped somewhat, but I'll never be a yoga instructor. Even as a high school track and football player, I was the guy who could never touch his toes during team stretches.

As far as color is concerned, I love the plain bare titanium steel with either an etched or braised logo... but those No 22 anodized frames are super sexy.
Seven builds mostly in ti, and they do custom. Good stuff -- my cousin and his wife have four or five between them. Independent Fabrication is another one that does ti on a larger scale, but still custom. Moots, too -- but I think they do some off-the-rack sizes with taller stack and shorter reach, which might accommodate you at a better price. You'll find geometry tables at their website.
Old 01-17-21, 05:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by AJ1515
I became a bit obsessed with Ti while teaching on the Southie/North Dorchester border and being walking distance from Firefly cycles. Those guys can make a bike.

Found a small British company, Aphelion Cycles, and had them build this track/single speed during the summer. Absolutely love it. Since this picture, I've put on a 48t Mojo chain ring--both stiffer and lighter weight than what Aphelion supplied. I've got 25mm GP5000 on the Ellipses, and the ride is so, so nice.

The tubes are sooo fat! It looks like a sprint missile! Kudos.

Firefly are off-the-charts awesome. They externally butt tubes in-house, have a 3D printed yoke, sick dropouts, construction skills second to none, and the best finishes in the biz, period. When I get real money...

Old 01-17-21, 06:24 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I bought my first Ti bike to have a bullet proof winter commuter. It is a Lynskey Ridgeline hardtail mountain bike. Set it up as a 27.5+ bike and it was a great winter commuter. I bought a Lynskey because the frame was on eBay for around $500.00. It was absolutely delightful as a commuter and it is also my summer trail bike.

So when I saw that their R350 (in a 61 cm effective top tube) had similar geometry to my 1981 Peugeot CFX-10, which has been just right for almost 40 years, and the R350 rim brake version was (you guessed it) on sale for cheap, I bought it. It gets maybe 3,000 miles a year and is my main summer ride.

It is a great bike. It is quite a bit lighter than my Peugeot. And it doesn't do the speed wobble above 30 MPH like the Peugeot does.

Last edited by DangerousDanR; 01-17-21 at 06:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-17-21, 07:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I've not owned a ti bike, but anyone who is considering one should check out Moots.

OT: indyfabz , I've seen the photo of your bike a few times, and am wondering about your height? Looks like a tall headtube. (Not that I'm knocking it - my custom frame probably has an even taller headtube to accommodate my height and a damaged back.)
I’m 6’2”. I also have somewhat odd dimensions. Not only do I have a relatively short inseam (I generally wear 32” pants because I will trod on 34s), my calves and thighs are about the same length. A disproportionate amount of my height comes from the waist up, but I also have relatively short arms (34” dress shirt sleeves fit fine). That’s why I’ve gone custom with my last two road bikes. The previous one was an IF steel frame.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-17-21, 08:39 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts

if looking at custom don’t forget Speedvagen. Mine is steel/carbon but they have beautiful Ti
https://www.speedvagen.com/full-custom-ti-2019
Old 01-17-21, 11:04 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I'm seriously considering a titanium road bike and I've saved about half of the money for one. For those who've purchased a Ti bike, which one did you buy? Why did you get that one? Did you get the whole bike from the builder or just the frame and have your LBS build the rest? Are you glad you got your bike or not and why? Thanks in advanced.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I am a 55 year-old guy who rides about 100-125 mile/week and enjoys group rides and century events when there is no pandemic.
I bought a used Lynskey-built 2000 Litespeed Vortex in 2003. Its been my almost-sole road bike since. Full 6/4 Ti construction, standard 73/73 geometry, frame weight ~ 1350g. Bought it because I had a cheaper LS before, so I was familiar with the stock sizing and geometry, and the Vortex was a dream bike for me. Got the frame on eBay in perfect condition with a CF fork and a King headset for ~1/3 RRP of the bare frame and built it up with parts from my old LS and some new upgrades. My standard riding is longish (50-100 miles - did a century this morning) solo and (hopefully again soon) group rides over rolling terrain. I can still get “heritage” model year-specific decal sets, so a couple of times I have stripped it to the bare frame, applied new decals, and it looks like new again. This will be my main bike as long as I can throw a leg over the top tube (I’m almost 58) 😀

Last edited by Litespud; 01-17-21 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-18-21, 05:00 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
i got a litespeed vortex 2007 DA10 group, hand built custom wheels.. the bike is amazing... every time i ride it, reminds me of why i like to ride my bike... ever since i had it i have not one pang of buyers regret,, i dont race so weight is not of prime importance,, i wanted a timeless bike that i can just hang a group on if or when my DA10 wears away... and i wanted a bike that was on the bucket list... a bike you dont see all too often.. and one that looks freaking cool.. nope i would buy a used litespeed again for a bit past a grand.... any day...
Likes For scuzzo:
Old 01-18-21, 06:52 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Not quite a road bike, but I bought a built-up, 105-level, Lynskey Urbano in 2018 for commuting and gravel. It met my requirements quite nicely after replacing the crap original wheels with two sets of Hed Ardennes, shod with 25 and 36 mm tires, respectively.

That's the first built Urbano I have seen. Very nice.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-18-21, 10:26 PM
Stickney
Longing for a Tail Wind

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I bought a Litespeed Tuscany 15 years ago and haven't regretted it a bit. In fact, the LBS still is amazed on how nice it looks 15 years later. I bought a bikesdirect TI cyclocross bike about 8 years ago which I like very much.

I went with TI as a switch from the alum bike I rode for years. I opted for TI over steel due to the roads and weather where I live (chip seal, rocks, and road salt). I opted for TI over carbon as I was a bit fearful of damaging the frame from a garage accident (with young kids I've lost track of the number of times my bikes have been hit, banged against, etc). That was probably an overblown fear, but at the time it seemed not unwise.

My bikes are not babied. They get dirty and dusty. I live on gravel and I love that I don't have to worry about paint chips or corrosion. A quick wipe/wash and it's amazing how nice your bike looks.
Likes For Stickney:
Old 01-19-21, 01:14 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Litespeed T2

Very happy with it. Superb ride quality, Matt finish is easy to maintain (scotch brite). It will never go out of style, drivetrain and wheels can always be upgraded to keep up with technology.

Likes For jadocs:
Old 01-19-21, 05:15 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Not a great or recent image, but this is a custom frame from Waltly Ti that approximates (my now retired) Lemond Zurich, just with disc brakes and longer wheelbase due to additional clearance for up to 700x47c tires. I had the (possibly misguided) notion of wanting to take the Lemond geometry offroad. I got to customize everything, which was awesome, and the price was excellent--easily less than half the cost of say--a Lynskey GR Pro. Very happy with the finished product.
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 01-19-21, 05:33 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Want one

All this reading convincing me . I been thinking about a titanium and what to get. I saw a Vortex come up some what local with the di2 shifting. I currently have started a Trek 930 drop bar conversion started and want to put a touring fork on it also .
I also am repacking bearings on a minty Raleigh Super Course MK II I picked up, so I need to spend a bit of money on those..
I may be selling my 924s that I thought was going to keep,, so who knows which way I'll go.
I'm always amazed with people that can handle multiple hobbies and finance and have time for them..
Old 01-20-21, 01:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
All this reading convincing me . I been thinking about a titanium and what to get. I saw a Vortex come up some what local with the di2 shifting. I currently have started a Trek 930 drop bar conversion started and want to put a touring fork on it also .
I also am repacking bearings on a minty Raleigh Super Course MK II I picked up, so I need to spend a bit of money on those..
I may be selling my 924s that I thought was going to keep,, so who knows which way I'll go.
I'm always amazed with people that can handle multiple hobbies and finance and have time for them..
I just sold a pair of 928 S4 which were taking up time and money from cycling— bought a T-Lab Ti fram from some of the revenue!— so I know where you’re coming from!
Old 01-20-21, 08:28 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
I’ve had my custom Seven for a year now. I, share indyfabz unusual dimensions (almost exactly it seems!) and never had a road bike that was a perfect fit. I decided my 50th birthday earned me a custom frame. I tend to hold on to bikes for a long time, and I always wanted to try ti. I worked with the fitter at Ride Studio Cafe in Lexington, Ma. I had them build up the complete bike for me including hand built wheels. Seven will dial in the stiffness to your weight, size, and desired ride quality. I wanted comfort for long randonneur rides, but also enjoy fast group rides. I also wanted rim brakes with room for wider tires. I couldn’t be happier with the whole experience! I absolutely love the bike!
Likes For David in Maine:
Old 01-23-21, 11:36 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
I bought a used bikes direct ti bike in 2018. It was a 2013 or 2014 and came with mid range Shram components. It's a 58 and fits me perfectly.

I took everything off and put on Shmano105 stuff, a new set of wheels and carbon fiber seatpost and bars. It rides super smooth and is a joy to ride.

​​​​

Last edited by Frank72; 01-24-21 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-24-21, 08:10 AM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Seven builds mostly in ti, and they do custom. Good stuff -- my cousin and his wife have four or five between them. Independent Fabrication is another one that does ti on a larger scale, but still custom. Moots, too -- but I think they do some off-the-rack sizes with taller stack and shorter reach, which might accommodate you at a better price. You'll find geometry tables at their website.
I recently got a Moots Routt RSL, off the rack sizing included ability to get a nonstock stack. Frame was still expensive but I’ve been very happy with the ride and don’t regret anything. If I had to do it again I would.
Old 01-24-21, 05:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
I have three titanium bikes currently all frames. My first was a Foundry Chilkoot, second was the Salsa Timberjack Ti and the last is a Habanero 26" MTB. I got the Chilkoot because I wanted to build a road bike and that frame looked right and was a decent price. The Timberjack was not at first intentional the frame I had planned on getting (non-ti) went out of stock and I saw this and liked it and have always wanted a Salsa and have known some folks with their Ti frames and every loved them and my Foundry was probably from the same factory so it was a good choice. The Habanero was because I wanted to get some parts hung on a frame and I just didn't find any good used ti bikes I really wanted and I said well let's ask Mark at Habanero his bikes are decently priced and his website is old school, this bodes well so I emailed him and asked for a dusty, crusty frame with all the requirements and he said yeah and was excited so I knew that was the one to go with.

If I had the money Firefly would be my top choice, their work is amazing and right up my alley. Though my next purchase is likely to be. Ren Cycles Yarak (with some custom geometry and a few features here and there). He does really excellent work and the price is decent and it is what I have been wanting and haven't seen anyone who makes one that looks as good.

Moots, Seven, Independent Fabrications, No.22, Engin, Bingham Built...are all builders I would gladly choose and if I had the money I would probably own pretty much all custom frames from mostly American builders. Nothing is nicer than a frame built for you whether it is geometry or custom features or both it is nice to have.
Old 01-28-21, 08:57 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
There was a Lynskey R210 Custom built up with Ultegra 6600 in a local shop many years (2010? 2011? something like that) ago. I have no idea who'd ordered it and why a custom-ordered frame was on the rack @ a shop that didn't typically deal with used bikes. Apart from a scratch in the paint, it appeared completely unridden. The frame fit me pretty well.

I was a regular @ the shop and helped out from time to time and managed to work a deal where I'd work at the shop evenings and weekends and my "pay" would be subtracted from the balance of the bike. I never even asked what my "rate" was, I just knew it was working in my favor because the balance was plummeting faster than I ever expected it should have. I didn't question it.

I still have the frame, though I've upgraded the components. The scratch in the paint is a distant memory since I've stripped the paint off of it in the intervening years. Who paints a Ti frame anyway?

And that's how I got my Ti bike. And I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been eyeing a new R300 from Lynskey for a more modern geometry and components.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 01-28-21, 11:04 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The tubes are sooo fat! It looks like a sprint missile! Kudos.

Firefly are off-the-charts awesome. They externally butt tubes in-house, have a 3D printed yoke, sick dropouts, construction skills second to none, and the best finishes in the biz, period. When I get real money...

Man...I really really like this.
Old 01-28-21, 11:37 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I ride a Merlin (before Litespeed bought them) from 2001. 20 years later and a few group updates I still ride it regularly. Super bike and I would be very sad if something happened to it. Probably weighs 18 pounds, maybe a little less when i put my climbing wheelset on it. It is a magic carpet ride and I always come home with a smile on my face, shaking my head and thinking that this thing is still the cat's meow. No, not as light weight as my carbon bike, not as stiff, but super handling and all day comfort. 20 years old frame and strong and very durable. I say to the OP, get one and you will be happy. Not knowing what the budget is, it is hard to advise. Lynskey would be a good choice and they are pretty well priced. If you can drop a lot of money, Moots RSL is very nice too.
Likes For Fox Farm:
Old 01-28-21, 01:35 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
2017ish Lynskey R250 that I built up with Ultegra Di2, mechanical disc brakes. I got it because it was a good price and a more relaxed geometry than my Fuji Altamira. Been a great bike and Lynskey was a great company to deal with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.