Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Approximately How much have you invested in butt comfort?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Approximately How much have you invested in butt comfort?

Old 02-21-21, 08:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Great minds think alike. But just sold one to another forum member. Didn’t work out with my sit bones. Too much pressure after 20 mins. But you have the right idea
Good luck in your search. FWIW, another saddle I had looked at is the Tioga Spyder Twintail2. Has a somewhat different design you could try.
Old 02-21-21, 09:31 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 659 Posts
Have you tried leather saddles, particularly the ones with cutouts?

Otto
Old 02-22-21, 11:04 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,364 Times in 2,796 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Good luck in your search. FWIW, another saddle I had looked at is the Tioga Spyder Twintail2. Has a somewhat different design you could try.
Than you. I will look into it. Much appreciated

Originally Posted by ofajen
Have you tried leather saddles, particularly the ones with cutouts?

Otto
My Selles are leather with cutouts, and so is a specialized I have. Are you thinking of something else?

Old 02-22-21, 12:22 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 413 Posts
$30 carbon saddle and Castelli bibs, no issues, rode 12,500 miles last year on that cheap saddle. I think I just got lucky and found a good fit with the first saddle I bought.
Old 02-22-21, 01:05 PM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I currently have two road bikes and two off road, two Brooks B17N, one Brooks Professional and a Wrights. All bought used. B17s are two wide for me. The N’s are 15 centimeters wide, makes a bid difference! I have a B17 I need to sell.
Old 02-22-21, 01:19 PM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Our costs are through the roof. Because of out inability to solve butt and neck issues we have went to mostly all recumbent riding. My wife is taking delivery of a custom Ti recumbent today. Many dollars invested. Gone are all butt and neck issues, along with numb hands.
Old 02-22-21, 01:38 PM
comfort rider

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
With "wedgie" bikes, I spent years (and $$) trying various seat designs in order to mitigate the mashing of my prostate gland & penile artery. I finally admitted that balancing the entire weight of one's body on one's crotch was an anatomically unsafe thing to do. So, I switched to recumbents where you actually sit on your buttocks as God intended.
Likes For comfort rider:
Old 02-22-21, 03:27 PM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I switched to recumbent. Solved the problem. Like riding a BarcaLounger.
Likes For Lawrence Rhodes:
Old 02-22-21, 04:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawrence Rhodes
I switched to recumbent. Solved the problem. Like riding a BarcaLounger.
cycle rides naps be hitting differently when your the one driving.
Old 02-22-21, 05:10 PM
glennwegner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My road bike, a Moots titanium (yes I realize that's redundant since Moots only builds Ti, but maybe some don't), has a Brooks B17 Special Titanium. It has been comfortable for 10s of 1000s of kms over a 9 year stretch. I don't remember what I paid, but looking at the Brooks website today, I must have been feeling pretty flush when I spec'd my bike, because it's $290USD, and I would have likely paid well over $300 in CAD. My tri bike, a Kestrel carbon, has an ISM PN 3.1. I paid about $300 for it also. It's not particularly comfortable when I'm not in the aero position, but by far the most comfortable I've used when in the aero position. Even with it though, by the end of an iron distance bike split, I've had enough. I mention the bike frame because I think the frame matters to butt comfort too. As does the chamois. I prefer Pearl Izumi, Assos, and Endura. Most of those shorts were $200+ also. As I proofread this response, I now don't believe my butt is worth what I've spent on it.
Old 02-22-21, 07:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by glennwegner
My road bike, a Moots titanium (yes I realize that's redundant since Moots only builds Ti, but maybe some don't), has a Brooks B17 Special Titanium. It has been comfortable for 10s of 1000s of kms over a 9 year stretch. I don't remember what I paid, but looking at the Brooks website today, I must have been feeling pretty flush when I spec'd my bike, because it's $290USD, and I would have likely paid well over $300 in CAD. My tri bike, a Kestrel carbon, has an ISM PN 3.1. I paid about $300 for it also. It's not particularly comfortable when I'm not in the aero position, but by far the most comfortable I've used when in the aero position. Even with it though, by the end of an iron distance bike split, I've had enough. I mention the bike frame because I think the frame matters to butt comfort too. As does the chamois. I prefer Pearl Izumi, Assos, and Endura. Most of those shorts were $200+ also. As I proofread this response, I now don't believe my butt is worth what I've spent on it.
I love how it's marketed with titanium rails for weight reduction. lol
Old 02-22-21, 08:43 PM
Ashloff

Bikes: Trek Slash 7 and kit ebike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That Infinity Bike Seat is intense. Kind of looks cute like a heart too.
Old 02-22-21, 08:52 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Ashloff
That Infinity Bike Seat is intense. Kind of looks cute like a heart too.
a seat that'll love your butt, through the roughest rides... ?
Old 02-22-21, 08:57 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I have a Fabric Scoop Elite Shallow saddle on my road and gravel bikes. Only about $45 each. Just seem to fit my sit bones just right. But biggest investment is bike fits. A fit for my tri bike and gravel bike were about $300 but worth every penny. For my road bike maybe $200 as I had that years prior.
Old 02-23-21, 07:08 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
T... If you spend enough time in the saddle, you get accustomed and remain accustomed to it.
Negative on that. In my upright-riding days I'd ride 150+ miles every weekend and shorter 25-mile evening rides during the week. The sore butt got slightly more tolerable but never went away. I finally replace the saddle with a seat, which cured the problem permanently.
Old 02-24-21, 08:47 AM
CoachPerry19

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used to spend all kinds of time and money looking for the right saddle.

Now it's a Planet Bike A.R.S. for $35 on everything except the old Crack N' Fail Criterium - makes me go faster so I can get off the thing quicker!

The 2.8 Cannondale BTW is a great race day ride and has never cracked or failed. When the 68 year old is kicking 25 year old butt come race day some credit has to go to the equipment!
Old 02-24-21, 10:02 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I got my current saddle at least 10 or 11 years ago. Cost me maybe $70, and it's still (I'm kind of surprised that it's lasted so long) fine. Sometimes I think it's awful, but usually it seems just right.
Old 02-27-21, 08:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
I've got saddles on at least 15 regular riders.
Some are better than others.
Butt when I ride, I'm off the saddle enough to avoid discomfort. Sometimes only a millimeter or two.

Do you guys ride with full weight on the saddle for hours? For those with problems maybe re-think your riding style?

After 35+ years cycling as an adult, I confess all my centuries are now metric.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-27-21 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-27-21, 03:23 PM
Troul 

i put my load mostly on the rear rack.
Old 02-28-21, 10:36 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 659 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I've got saddles on at least 15 regular riders.
Some are better than others.
Butt when I ride, I'm off the saddle enough to avoid discomfort. Sometimes only a millimeter or two.

Do you guys ride with full weight on the saddle for hours? For those with problems maybe re-think your riding style?
Worth considering. I switched back to SS last year and it was really transformative in terms of comfort on long rides. Lots more time out of the saddle standing or at least pushing enough to lift a bit off the saddle.

Accompanying that was a switch to touring bars so I can have a standing position that can be used almost indefinitely when necessary.

Still if you wrap the forward section, you can move forward over a range of at least 9” and shift from semi-upright to more of an endurance posture and on to the center section with an even lower angle, and the other option I may add this spring is bar ends in the center section for an aero position. Kind of pointless ATM due to the need to negotiate mud with the weight back and a wide grip.

Taken together, it’s eliminated any vestiges of issues from either saddle or hands or wrists. 👍

Otto
Old 03-04-21, 04:25 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 239 Posts
I currently have a Decathlon saddle on my bike which is mediocre at best (it starts to get particularly uncomfortable after about 100km of riding) so yesterday after reading about the Brooks Cambium series I decided to splurge and bought a C15 online. It should get here in a day or two and then I'll be able to find out if it's as comfortable as the reviews say it is.
Old 03-04-21, 07:33 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 176 Posts
The saddle I currently use (and love) is the Selle Italia SLR Flow. It's a great saddle with a just enough of a "pocket" that I can settle in for hours at a time but flat enough that it is super easy to shift around when I'm climbing or descending. I got a good deal on this saddle about $150 or so with the titanium rails.

Shorts I'm wearing PI Pro Bibs. Tights I wear a couple different Castelli Bibs when the temp drops. All over $200 but both the shorts and the tights are amazingly comfortable with great chamois.
Old 03-04-21, 07:44 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,421 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Have you considered one of the Infinity Bike Seat options? eg.

Is something silicone-based OK for that? Or should one stick with KY?
Old 03-04-21, 09:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 2,789 Times in 1,794 Posts
Counting saddles and shorts/bibs, maybe $300.

My favorite saddle was free, a giveaway from the LBS junk bin. Old very worn Selle San Marco racing saddle, split tail, flexible shell with thinly padded cover. Wish I could find an identical newer version, but this model dates back to the early 2000s. So comfy I don't really need padded shorts for most rides. Yet it's a conventional looking narrow road bike saddle, not a "comfort" saddle.

My other half dozen saddles cost $20 each or less, so not much expense there. I scrounge LBS junk bins and online blowout sales for saddles. Two of those half dozen saddles are good enough to ride routinely on the right bikes. One or two are miserable and eventually I'll give 'em away.

I've probably spent more on padded shorts and bibs, but I've paid only $15-$25 for shorts and $30-$50 for bibs, mostly Black Bibs, Przewalski and Spotti, which are much better quality than those silly names would imply. Well, Przewalski is a respectable name, but Spotti sounds like the cat walked on the marketing guy's keyboard to choose a name, then left a spot on the carpet.
Old 03-04-21, 09:45 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by canklecat
Counting saddles and shorts/bibs, maybe $300.

My favorite saddle was free, a giveaway from the LBS junk bin. Old very worn Selle San Marco racing saddle, split tail, flexible shell with thinly padded cover. Wish I could find an identical newer version, but this model dates back to the early 2000s. So comfy I don't really need padded shorts for most rides. Yet it's a conventional looking narrow road bike saddle, not a "comfort" saddle.

My other half dozen saddles cost $20 each or less, so not much expense there. I scrounge LBS junk bins and online blowout sales for saddles. Two of those half dozen saddles are good enough to ride routinely on the right bikes. One or two are miserable and eventually I'll give 'em away.

I've probably spent more on padded shorts and bibs, but I've paid only $15-$25 for shorts and $30-$50 for bibs, mostly Black Bibs, Przewalski and Spotti, which are much better quality than those silly names would imply. Well, Przewalski is a respectable name, but Spotti sounds like the cat walked on the marketing guy's keyboard to choose a name, then left a spot on the carpet.
Could have a set of bibs called "The Kizzer" or "KhuminUghp de Rurr" . lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.