Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Igh

Old 04-07-21, 09:52 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Igh

I’ve looked at a couple threads today.

I used the search here. (Not so helpful)

I’d like to learn about Internal Geared Hubs.
Why aren’t they more popular? Do they work OK? Do they have gear oil that gets changed?

I’m ok with being sent links.
Thank you.
Old 04-07-21, 09:57 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
The only two reason I can think of why they are not more popular is: A) an internal geared hub is about 30% more expensive compared to the same bike with a traditional setup and B) peeps that do their own maintenance know how to fix a traditional setup vs an internal hub.
Old 04-07-21, 10:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 1,232 Times in 711 Posts
They work well. They generally have a smaller range than a derailleur setup, so some stay away for that reason. They can be heavy. The require the ability to adjust the chain, so if you are switching from a frame made for a derailleur system, you will need a chain tensioner. If you have a frame with horizontal dropouts the tensioner isn't necessary. They can be a little more work when removing the wheel to change a flat.

If I lived in an area without a lot of huge hills, I would love to run an IGH. As it is, where I love there are hills everywhere, and I tour as well, so I like my 24x36 when I need it, giving me a lower range than I would get with an IGH.
Old 04-08-21, 12:32 AM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Hi SkinGriz,

I think one of the reason IGH aren't more popular is their added cost.

When they have been maintained and looked after, they work great. But low maintenance does not equal NO MAINTENANCE REQUIRED. Where they really shine is commuting in adverse weather condition in my opinion.

Depending on which model and make IGH, the oil should be changed periodically. For example new Shimano IGH, after 1000km from new, oil should be changed, this is the break in period. After that, recommended oil change interval is every 5000km or 2 years, whichever first.
Old 04-08-21, 12:49 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
Weight, expense, friction.

Limited gear ratios and ranges.

Pro racers don't use them.

Arguably more delicate; out of saddle climbing is discouraged.

Don't work on vertical dropouts without extra finicky bits.

Socially awkward.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-08-21, 05:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,827 Times in 4,621 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42

Socially awkward.

???
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-08-21, 06:35 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 126 Posts
I use a SA 3 speed hub on my commuter road bike (Bianchi from 80's) with a downtube shifter. I like it. It's more than enough gearing for my commute.

The only big advantage, to be completely honest, is that you can shift at a stop. Nice for riding in traffic, but not a huge deal. As far as maintenance - I drip some 3in1 oil into it every now and again. Keeps working.

The yellow thing kind of happened by accident - next tape job is likely yellow as well.
Likes For Viich:
Old 04-08-21, 07:34 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Viich
I use a SA 3 speed hub on my commuter road bike (Bianchi from 80's) with a downtube shifter. I like it. It's more than enough gearing for my commute.

The only big advantage, to be completely honest, is that you can shift at a stop. Nice for riding in traffic, but not a huge deal. As far as maintenance - I drip some 3in1 oil into it every now and again. Keeps working.

The yellow thing kind of happened by accident - next tape job is likely yellow as well.
Thank you. Kinda splitting hairs, but would M1 or synthetic ATF work just as well? ATF or synthetic motor oil is what I usually keep in the oil can.

And a 3 speed is +25%, straight, and -25%? Does that one freewheel?
Old 04-08-21, 08:56 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Thank you. Kinda splitting hairs, but would M1 or synthetic ATF work just as well? ATF or synthetic motor oil is what I usually keep in the oil can.

You should be fine. Any light oil that doesn't gum up or turn to asphalt during the winter. I've read folklore that 3-in-1 contains vegetable oil that polymerizes over time, and chainsaw oil is too sticky. A friend of mine used 2-stroke oil because it's what he had.

The ratios are 4:3, 1:1, and 3:4, and they all freewheel (there is one non-freewheel 3 speed hub, but it's a rarity). at the present time, 3 bikes in the family fleet have old Sturmey Archer 3-speed hubs. I like the simplicity and lack of exposed parts. I think there are several reasons why they're not more popular, even beyond the added cost. Folks look at the number of gears as a figure of merit for the bike. Also, gearing choice depends on a lot of things, such as your local terrain, physical condition, and even just personal preference. Nobody knows what gears they will "need" until they get the bike and experience it under real use for a while. So, having more gears is an assurance that the bike will serve their needs.

For my riding, the main downside is actually that the gears are spaced too far apart. This leaves me in the situation of being "always in the wrong gear." Unless you gear the whole bike down, or are more athletic than I am, the 3rd speed is practically useless and it's effectively a 2 speed bike. Sheldon Brown recommended choosing a cog that lets you use 3rd gear as your normal cruising gear, with a low and extra-low gear.

And now here's where personal preference comes in. I put up with those limitations because I usually ride by myself, can just ride at whatever speed is appropriate for the available gears, and not worry about it. But if you're keen on riding at the absolutely optimum cadence and speed at all times, or are trying to keep up with a group, having narrower gear steps is beneficial.

We're all agreed that 3 is the wrong number of speeds, what divides us is whether 3 is too few, or too many.
Old 04-08-21, 09:00 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I’ve looked at a couple threads today.

I used the search here. (Not so helpful)

I’d like to learn about Internal Geared Hubs.
Why aren’t they more popular? Do they work OK? Do they have gear oil that gets changed?

I’m ok with being sent links.
Thank you.
Our own resident IGH gearhead Dan Burkhart literally wrote the video on how they work:

Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 04-08-21, 09:04 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
My dad would overhaul his Sturmey Archer hub occasionally. Back then, you could get all the parts from Montgomery Ward. Other than that my main memory of his SA adventures was when he went over the bars when it skipped on him. Which might have been why he overhauled it, don't remember.

I think it's pretty easy to understand why they aren't more popular in the U.S. The hubs with wide gear ratios are expensive, and Sturmey gear ratios are not wide enough. They work great in places where it's flat.
Old 04-08-21, 09:06 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
You should be fine. Any light oil that doesn't gum up or turn to asphalt during the winter. I've read folklore that 3-in-1 contains vegetable oil that polymerizes over time, and chainsaw oil is too sticky. A friend of mine used 2-stroke oil because it's what he had.

The ratios are 4:3, 1:1, and 3:4, and they all freewheel (there is one non-freewheel 3 speed hub, but it's a rarity). at the present time, 3 bikes in the family fleet have old Sturmey Archer 3-speed hubs. I like the simplicity and lack of exposed parts. I think there are several reasons why they're not more popular, even beyond the added cost. Folks look at the number of gears as a figure of merit for the bike. Also, gearing choice depends on a lot of things, such as your local terrain, physical condition, and even just personal preference. Nobody knows what gears they will "need" until they get the bike and experience it under real use for a while. So, having more gears is an assurance that the bike will serve their needs.

For my riding, the main downside is actually that the gears are spaced too far apart. This leaves me in the situation of being "always in the wrong gear." Unless you gear the whole bike down, or are more athletic than I am, the 3rd speed is practically useless and it's effectively a 2 speed bike. Sheldon Brown recommended choosing a cog that lets you use 3rd gear as your normal cruising gear, with a low and extra-low gear.

And now here's where personal preference comes in. I put up with those limitations because I usually ride by myself, can just ride at whatever speed is appropriate for the available gears, and not worry about it. But if you're keen on riding at the absolutely optimum cadence and speed at all times, or are trying to keep up with a group, having narrower gear steps is beneficial.

We're all agreed that 3 is the wrong number of speeds, what divides us is whether 3 is too few, or too many.
Would it be possible to fit the front with a 2x or 3x crank to supplement the gear ratio? It adds parts, but that might be nothing to be of concern if it works.
Old 04-08-21, 09:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Would it be possible to fit the front with a 2x or 3x crank to supplement the gear ratio? It adds parts, but that might be nothing to be of concern if it works.
the solution that people have always chosen is to put external gears on the back. Someone just came out with something like that, 2 speed IGH and 11 speed cassette. Sturmey sells an igh hub with a cassette.

The problem I see with most IGH is they are not designed or rated to work with low gear ratios (small chainring/large rear cog). I'm a bit curious if Sturmey upgraded the internals of their externally geared IGH

Thread about this in gravel forum https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...erailleur.html

Last edited by unterhausen; 04-08-21 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-08-21, 09:29 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
the solution that people have always chosen is to put external gears on the back. Someone just came out with something like that, 2 speed IGH and 11 speed cassette. Sturmey sells an igh hub with a cassette.

The problem I see with most IGH is they are not designed or rated to work with low gear ratios (small chainring/large rear cog). I'm a bit curious if Sturmey upgraded the internals of their externally geared IGH

Thread about this in gravel forum https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...erailleur.html
With the modern wireless shift ders, the added front e-der using a triple & those additional rear external gears could give a traditional multi-speed setup a ride for its mileage imo.
Old 04-08-21, 09:45 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts

I'd be surprised if Sturmey changed their 3-speed design in any fundamental way. From where I sit, the combination IGH and derailleur seems like a pretty niche use -- where you don't want to have a FD for some reason, and you want the chainring to be a tiny little nub. When I encounter terrain where I'd think about such a thing, I'm usually off my bike and pushing or carrying it.

My own view is that for my own "casual" cycling, 3 speeds is the limit before the IGH starts producing diminishing returns. Beyond that point, I'd be nervous about trying to service one myself, and when push comes to shove, derailleurs have gotten pretty darn reliable.

The industry is faced with the fact that 3 isn't enough for a bike that has to be sold nationwide, and not just in flat towns.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 04-08-21 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-08-21, 09:49 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 314 Posts
I ride my Shimano 8 speed IGH bike regularly. I bought it because maintenance is minimal and it has adequate gears. It doesn’t use oil, a special grease. I’ve overhauled it twice in five years an it runs well. There are actually a lot of Shimano 8 speeds with very minor differences. When my LBS guy saw it a few months ago he said they can do overhaul, maybe next time. I love the get on and go with no hassle which is why I bought it.
Old 04-08-21, 10:10 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

I actually like the wide space, makes me use a variety of cadences. I'll use 3rd gear any time I'm pushing it, 2nd for an easy spin, and 1st is climbing only. I've been using the 3in1 for years, no issues. Once a year I add quite a lot right before a ride and let it run out, hopefully carrying some contamination with it. I'll take the hub out of the shell and clean it if it stops shifting well. Hasn't happened yet, but don't have that much mileage on it, maybe 10 000 km. (I got that hub used for a dollar on ebay, built it into a wheel myself)

Originally Posted by Troul
If you use a rear derailleur as a chain tensioner, you could get it to work. Easier answer would be to get a 5 or more speed hub instead though, as you're losing some of the advantages in running 1/8 chain and having a static chainline. I actually also have a 5sp, but don't use it becuase I like the 3sp just fine. I might throw the 5sp on there at some point this year and see how it goes.
Old 04-08-21, 10:17 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
What do you guys think of the new Classified Powershift? POWERSHIFT hub | Classified (classified-cycling.cc) Sturmey Archer already had something similar but it's a little hefty at 1155g (Disk version).
Old 04-08-21, 10:20 AM
Viich
Hack

My hub is 66%, direct, and 133%. Freewheels in all gears. From everything I've read the Sturmey Archer hubs can use just about any light oil, but I haven't used anything else extensively. Some of the other hubs are more particular - but most of them are sealed -the old design Sturmey 3sp aren't, you add oil through the hole for the shift chain - I haven't played with the rotary shift Sturmey's, though they look nice, just the older design 3sp, 5sp Sprinter, the Shimano Nexus 3sp and the SRAM dual drive.
Old 04-08-21, 10:23 AM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by cbrstar
What do you guys think of the new Classified Powershift? POWERSHIFT hub | Classified (classified-cycling.cc) Sturmey Archer already had something similar but it's a little hefty at 1155g (Disk version).
I think it looks cool, but completely different intent - the SA is intended for utility cycling & recumbents, classified for sport cycling. The wireless shift looks cool, and the weight is low - I'm wary of the cost of those custom cassettes though, and haven't seen what their counter-torque arrangement is.
Likes For Viich:
Old 04-08-21, 10:25 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I would probably do what Sheldon Brown did. I don’t know if I get fast enough to benefit from super tall gearing.
Old 04-08-21, 10:27 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Viich
I think it looks cool, but completely different intent - the SA is intended for utility cycling & recumbents, classified for sport cycling. The wireless shift looks cool, and the weight is low - I'm wary of the cost of those custom cassettes though, and haven't seen what their counter-torque arrangement is.
Surely someone will make there "own" design that accepts the common cassette fitment. At minimum, I'd expect the ability to use the freehub gears once separated from each other using "special" spacers..
Old 04-08-21, 10:38 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
They work just fine, but are less efficient than derailleur systems. (more power lost to drag) Then too they are extra weight. Depending on the hub most have wide gearing spaces, and some have unusual variance in spacing between the gears. These traits may not matter to some.
Old 04-08-21, 11:58 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 1,027 Posts
The problem I see with most IGH is they are not designed or rated to work with low gear ratios (small chainring/large rear cog). I'm a bit curious if Sturmey upgraded the internals of their externally geared IGH.
They did.
Old 04-08-21, 12:00 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
They work just fine, but are less efficient than derailleur systems.
The great gear guru Frank Berto dismissed internal gear hubs a 'friction boxes'. Imagine his surprise when years later he ran an instrumented test and found Sturmey and Sachs three speed hubs overall the most mechanically efficient multi-gear systems.
Likes For tcs:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.