Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

cycling downhill

Old 04-15-21, 12:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
good guess but Oregon of all places

Must be that all downhill Oregon bike infrastructure we're all hearing so much about.

Kind of like the Idaho Stop where you just keep going.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-21, 12:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
good guess but Oregon of all places
That explains it.
Old 04-15-21, 12:41 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Must be that all downhill Oregon bike infrastructure we're all hearing so much about.
Oregon has been going down hill ever since "Animal House" was filmed there.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-15-21, 12:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Oregon has been going down hill ever since "Animal House" was filmed there.
THAT was Peak Oregon?!
Old 04-15-21, 01:03 PM
indyfabz

THAT was Peak Oregon?!
'Fraid so.

During a supported tour there in 2007 we stayed on the outskirts of the town (Cottage Grove) where the homecoming parade scenes were filmed. Took the shuttle into town and walked around. Still hanging was a restaurant sign that can be seen for a split second in the film. "Listen to me. I think you'll be glad later if you weren't here now."--Hoover

The University of Missouri turned down a request by the studio to film in there. The University of Oregon said ok as long as the school was not identified. Got paid a paltry $20K.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-15-21 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-15-21, 07:03 PM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
You are old and you forgot to turn around but thought you did.
Well you got it half right
Old 04-15-21, 07:04 PM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Originally Posted by Bmach
You are old and you forgot to turn around but thought you did.
Old 04-16-21, 09:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

On this evidence, I'm going with the "forgot" half.

Just kidding.
Old 04-16-21, 10:04 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
This is why I hate e-bikes.
my wife was an avid cyclist and we used to do many rides including centuries until she developed a severe case of RA. It was far too painful for her to ride so she gave it up for 7 years until she got an e-bike and now I can't tell you how much joy her e-bike has provided being able to ride again. This is also true for a long time female friend of the family who also got RA and had To give up cycling (she rode the entire west coast in one trip). Now she is back at it and is thrilled.

So hate away, but for many, an e-bike is life changing.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-16-21, 10:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob
my wife was an avid cyclist and we used to do many rides including centuries until she developed a severe case of RA. It was far too painful for her to ride so she gave it up for 7 years until she got an e-bike and now I can't tell you how much joy her e-bike has provided being able to ride again. This is also true for a long time female friend of the family who also got RA and had To give up cycling (she rode the entire west coast in one trip). Now she is back at it and is thrilled.

So hate away, but for many, an e-bike is life changing.

Pretty sure you're scolding him for a pretty good joke about it being downhill both ways, but I think it's always good to have the reminder about why ebikes have been liberating for a lot of people.

I don't have any interest in them for my use, but I don't get the hate for them that people often express. I think we should be happy for your wife and glad to have her company on the roads and paths.
Old 04-16-21, 08:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
Pretty sure you're scolding him for a pretty good joke about it being downhill both ways, but I think it's always good to have the reminder about why ebikes have been liberating for a lot of people.

I don't have any interest in them for my use, but I don't get the hate for them that people often express. I think we should be happy for your wife and glad to have her company on the roads and paths.
i can be thick as a brick at times so appreciate the reality check. Always enjoy a good chuckle.

As for e-bike unlove, they are banned from a good number of local single track trails. As a mtn biker too, I dont quite know how I feel about that, but it would sure make those long climbs a whole lot easier, plus can get in more downhill runs.

Old 04-17-21, 03:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Through waist-deep snow also. Like when we were kids walking to school.
while it's 111°F being drafted by an albino grizzly bear.
Old 04-18-21, 08:45 PM
Mark Dominck

I mostly road bike but occasionally I take my mtn bike up to our local trails where we have to climb 3 miles up to the trail head. Before I left to make the climb I spoke to four riders sitting at a table having a break and said they'd made one trip and were thinking of doing it again. I left and began my climb and about half way up the mountain here come these two guy pedaling casually past me with the leader towing his friend with a rope. I said hey how bout letting me join in just joking and that was before I even knew Ebikes existed. I thought boy that's one strong rider to pull like that. Well later I started hearing about these Ebikes and the light came on that was what he was riding. Now I really think that making the climbs is all part of mountain biking and would spoil the whole experience for me but seems like Ebikes are becoming the thing for a lot of Mtn bikers. I've been past by many of road bikers on Ebikes too, so get use to it everybody is doing it.
Old 04-19-21, 05:11 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
I mostly road bike but occasionally I take my mtn bike up to our local trails where we have to climb 3 miles up to the trail head. Before I left to make the climb I spoke to four riders sitting at a table having a break and said they'd made one trip and were thinking of doing it again. I left and began my climb and about half way up the mountain here come these two guy pedaling casually past me with the leader towing his friend with a rope. I said hey how bout letting me join in just joking and that was before I even knew Ebikes existed. I thought boy that's one strong rider to pull like that. Well later I started hearing about these Ebikes and the light came on that was what he was riding. Now I really think that making the climbs is all part of mountain biking and would spoil the whole experience for me but seems like Ebikes are becoming the thing for a lot of Mtn bikers. I've been past by many of road bikers on Ebikes too, so get use to it everybody is doing it.
What doesn't change are having flats or breaking a link. As I organically move along, passing an E-motorized bike with a broken part, I'd feel less inclined to stop to assist. Chances are, my "standardized" bicycle tools might not have much use with the E-motorized bike.
Old 04-19-21, 11:47 AM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I took off on a ride towards the coast and most of the ride was downhill, at about the fifteen mile mark I knew the trip back would be harder so I turned around but to my surprise it was downhill on the return also and actually took me less time to return anybody ever expereince such a ride?
No.
Old 04-19-21, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob
i can be thick as a brick at times so appreciate the reality check. Always enjoy a good chuckle.

As for e-bike unlove, they are banned from a good number of local single track trails. As a mtn biker too, I dont quite know how I feel about that, but it would sure make those long climbs a whole lot easier, plus can get in more downhill runs.

Not directed at you or your wife, but if someone isn't fit enough to work their way up a single track hill, they may not be likely to have the skills and experience needed for the safely riding the single track downhill. Not a perfect screening mechanism, but I can see the logic.
Old 04-19-21, 03:45 PM
MassCommuter

Bikes: 1984/85 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1992 Trek 970; 1993 Burley Rock n' Roll tandem; 2007 Cannondale F5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Was it one of those 'gravity hills'?

https://weirdnj.com/stories/gravity-roads/
Old 04-19-21, 04:20 PM
bblevens
Senior Age Man In Lycra

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
A nod to M.C. Escher! Well played.
Old 04-19-21, 05:49 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Not directed at you or your wife, but if someone isn't fit enough to work their way up a single track hill, they may not be likely to have the skills and experience needed for the safely riding the single track downhill. Not a perfect screening mechanism, but I can see the logic.
Except the guys who have the highest skills tend to take chairlifts on ski hills. They could pedal up but they might only get one run in a day vs many if they ride the chair. Presumably e-bikes allow more runs. On the local, non-chairlift assisted, trails riders normally ride up a gravel road and then down the trails. They are mainly looking for the downhill experience so an e-bike would give them improved access if they didn't mind getting teased along the way.
Old 04-19-21, 06:01 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 975 Posts
Well before e-bikes, we had ski lifts to haul us up the mountain. The descents were sometimes scary and so not for this MAMIL anymore.
Old 04-19-21, 06:44 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by MassCommuter
Was it one of those 'gravity hills'?

https://weirdnj.com/stories/gravity-roads/
Indeed we had a famous one in Indiana that was a common destination for bored and/or romantically inclined teenagers. Brethren to the false flat, which draws no such attention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_hill
Old 04-20-21, 04:34 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts
Wow you discovered a real life Penrose route?
Old 04-20-21, 05:50 PM
Dave Mc.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leinster
if he was cycling towards the coast, it’s possible he was going downhill into the wind on the outbound leg, and uphill with the wind on the way back.
that just makes a whole lot of sense
Likes For Dave Mc.:
Old 04-25-21, 07:32 PM
Mark Dominck

Originally Posted by Dave Mc.
that just makes a whole lot of sense
Ok I'll explain why It was downhill in both directions. I was indeed going towards the coast and following the river downhill, however there were many ups and downs throughout the 15miles and it felt mostly downhill. On the return trip there must have been more downs than ups and even though the river was running down away from me and gave the impression I was going back up river I made the return trip faster than I did going down with the river. Now I hope you all don't just think I'm nuts but the whole trip indeed seemed like down in both directions but it was actually as many ups as there was downs. haha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.