Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Changing times not for the better.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Changing times not for the better.

Old 04-19-21, 10:29 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
All shops are suffering, including the big chains. Since the Covid hit the world economy and plant shutdowns, etc, parts are in short supply which translates to bikes being in short supply. Small shops, unless they have a repeat clientele repair business, may not survive. The big players like Amazon, Jensen, REI etc may be getting the lion's share of inventory, which is unfortunate for the small Mom & Pop businesses.

I always have spare tires, tubes, cables and other consumable parts so it's not adversely impacting me but I do worry for the long-term. This isn't the only industry with a serious short supply problem. Other industries have supply chain problems as well.

Of the ten or so bike shops in my area, all have very very low inventory.
Old 04-19-21, 05:20 PM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Many of us are missing the biggest cost

To those who dislike high priced bike shops, do you know of anyone who's become wealthy owning one? I suspect it's mostly the opposite. And if you're bothered by the high markup and riches to be had, maybe open one and tell us how it goes. It's not a fun business.

Secondly and most importantly, having everything, and I do mean everything, delivered to your door is killing and will devastate where you ride and breathe. Of course with COVID and food deliveries this recent trend is understandable, but the meth-like addiction of "deliver to me right god-#@*# now", and for free, began before COVID and will continue afterwards.

Think of how few UPS and FedEx trucks you saw on your streets even 15-20 years ago, except for Xmas time. Hell, I can now pick these drivers out from a lineup I know their faces so well. Most streets are a parade of package deliveries all day long. Amazon seems hourly. Gas, cardboard, packaging, plastic, bubble wrap, styrofoam. All to my door now says the king, and it better be by tomorrow, or off with their heads while I click to another site. There's a dark hidden cost to this that's gonna come due someday, just sayin....

Last edited by uprightbent; 04-19-21 at 05:32 PM.
Likes For uprightbent:
Old 04-19-21, 05:25 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
Think of how few UPS and FedEx trucks you saw on your streets even 15-20 years ago, except for Xmas time. Hell, I can now pick these drivers out from a lineup I know their faces so well. Most streets are a parade of package deliveries all day long. Amazon seems hourly. Gas, cardboard, packaging, plastic, bubble wrap, styrofoam. All to my door now says the king, and it better be by tomorrow, or off with their heads while I click to another site. There's a dark hidden cost to this that's gonna come due someday, just sayin....
Those that don't care are likely the ones that will not be alive when it catches up in full. The can gets kicked.
Old 04-19-21, 05:29 PM
Roychol

Bikes: Scott Reflex 3.0/GT Karakoram Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
and i thought it was to have a low resting heart rate.
Not that low
Old 04-19-21, 05:43 PM
SkylerDakota

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really is awful on the environment, and I have to admit that I use similar services far too frequently. I should really live up to my beliefs and stop the cycle (no pun intended)...
Old 04-21-21, 10:51 AM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 109 Posts
Lbs support

I try to manage my purchases and support the LBS that’s been around for decades, where I can, I buy on line, but i also over pay for some big ticket items from them because the community needs them... if none of us support the LBS then it will be gone. Yes I can figure out most things myself, but for example, for my first set of tubulars I needed their expertise, so I bought the tires from them and I am having them install them, if I do it and screw one up I’m out 75-100$... I think having a solid LBS is worth something, that being said if they couldn’t do the hard things for me I would feel differently.
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 04-23-21, 03:09 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Amazon had a little trouble earlier on during Covid with shipping times. Now they are back to normal 2 day shipping.
Not to where I live. I just looked at ordering a small item and they were quoting me May 11 for regular prime shipping. That's the way it's been since last spring. Used to be within a week. Good excuse for me to look elsewhere and not contribute to Amazon's business practices or it's founder when there's other reasonably convenient and inexpensive options.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-23-21 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-23-21, 06:53 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 188 Posts
I bought a touring bike back in February of 2020, just a month before the C19 thing hit and bicycles went screaming out the door. That shop that I bought the bike from in another town from where I live had to close it's doors about 6 months after I got my bike from them after about 40 years of doing business. They couldn't get any bikes or parts.

The biggest store in our city the owner had the business for 35 years couldn't get bikes or parts either, Trek bought them out this month! Not sure if Trek can supply the store with bikes, but Specialized could not.

Another small mom and pop store in my city is somehow staying alive, with no bikes to sell, they're doing a lot of service work. I really like this shop too, so I've been trying to buy as much as I can from them.

The other small bike shop in town sells kayaks and other outdoor clothing for hiking etc, so that has been the bulk of their business.

I learned from a bike shop years ago in Bakersfield California that a bike shop should never rely on just making a living on bicycles alone, you should have at least two other lines of products, and that store carries anything related to all sorts of sports! The owner is very successful businessman and very intelligent, and a very capable rider, he even captain a 4 person team in the RAAM race and not only did they win the race they still hold the 4 team record after about 20 years.
Old 04-23-21, 08:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I learned from a bike shop years ago in Bakersfield California that a bike shop should never rely on just making a living on bicycles alone, you should have at least two other lines of products, and that store carries anything related to all sorts of sports!
I think that's what's known as a "sporting goods store."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-23-21, 08:34 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, but he started out as a bike store, see this:
https://www.teamactionsports.com/
Old 04-23-21, 08:43 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
One thing I've noticed in Southern California: pick a bike shop website, and chances are you will see e-bikes front and center on the home page. In fact, looking at some of these websites, you want to ask the shop, "So, are e-bikes all you sell now, you gave up on other kinds of bikes?"

Or maybe ... the other kinds of bikes all sold out a year ago and this is what's left.
Old 04-23-21, 09:41 PM
tomato coupe

Yes, but he started out as a bike store
So what?
Old 04-24-21, 08:34 AM
rekmeyata

So what?
I guess you're in an argumentative mood.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 04-24-21, 08:52 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
Most of the multi location local bike shops here switch over in fall to mostly snow sports while still doing some bike sales/service.
Old 04-24-21, 10:59 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by dedhed
Most of the multi location local bike shops here switch over in fall to mostly snow sports while still doing some bike sales/service.
Yeah, that's not uncommon in places (like Wisconsin) that have real seasons. But that's not the same as a "store [that] carries anything related to all sorts of sports."
Old 04-24-21, 11:00 AM
tomato coupe

I guess you're in an argumentative mood.
Nope.
Old 04-24-21, 03:06 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In heavy snow at 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
In Siberia
Old 04-24-21, 03:23 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I think that the whole bicycle retail business environment is pretty harsh right now. Here is the way that I approach my LBS: if I go into the shop and someone at the shop provides some sort of value added service to me, then I will always purchase the respective item or service at the shop even if the cost is significantly greater. In that situation I believe the shop has earned my business and it would then be a real cheap shot to them for me to walk out to my car and fire up the Amazon app and buy online. Also, if I need something right away or don't want to wait, the LBS is the way to go. What has become a more frequent experience for me is to go to the LBS for a commodity item that I think they should have in stock only to find out that they don't have it and they don't know when they will get it or they can order it. The most recent example of this is that last week I ran out of Finish Line Citrus Degreaser and none of the 3 shops closest to me had it in stock. After the 3rd shop I ordered online for less money and got it shipped to my house in a shorter period of time than if I ordered through one of the shops. I love the LBSs but if they aren't going to keep a product like chain cleaner in stock, it is difficult for me to have a lot of sympathy for them.
Old 04-26-21, 07:18 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
The last bike shop that closed here had a great mechanic with decades of experience and on more than one occasion he figured out issues that I could not and I have been working on my own bikes since 1983. That cannot be replaced. I will adapt because what I do every day would kill most people if they tried it once. I have been riding since February in NH starting on a fat tire bike. I am already up to 60-mile rides on my Cannondale Super Six even though I have to dress warm with jackets and over-boots at times. I am 74 and my doctor says he would guess I am fifty. Because of the health crisis I do a lot of loops instead of crossing state lines now.

I have noticed that a lot of people are going electric and riding off road and think that is fine. Anything that gets people on bikes is a good thing. I prefer the road and actually the road may be safer. I only see one other guy riding the road now here and he is nearly as old as I am. I know when the weather gets warmer I will see more bikes but I miss the days when I raced on a team and we had a bike club where fifty bikes would show up on Wednesday nights and we would split into three groups.

I am glad I chose cycling after I stopped running in the 80's. I took the road less traveled and it has made all the difference. I wish more people would do it but I am not optimistic.
Old 04-26-21, 08:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
Amazon seems hourly. Gas, cardboard, packaging, plastic, bubble wrap, styrofoam. All to my door now says the king, and it better be by tomorrow, or off with their heads while I click to another site. There's a dark hidden cost to this that's gonna come due someday, just sayin....
Here is Philly there are new Amazon delivery vehicles. They have backup alarms that sound like what I imagine a pterodactyl with a bad sore throat would sound like. Incredibly frequent when I am home on weekends. I go to the office most weekdays so I don't know about that, but boy are there sure a ton of Amazon boxes on the curb every trash day.

What really bothers me about the loss of more and more B&M businesses is that it forces me towards Amazon or chain stores that require travel to reach. For example, center city's last Army/Navy store closed not that long ago. Used to be that I could walk there from my office during lunch and buy something like CampSuds and/or MSR White Gas for my bike tours. Now I have to try to find the former at a big-box store or order it on line. The latter now requires a car trip to REI. (I could ride there, but the last mile or so is a virtual death trap, even on weekend days.)
Old 04-26-21, 09:50 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I learned from a bike shop years ago in Bakersfield California that a bike shop should never rely on just making a living on bicycles alone, you should have at least two other lines of products, and that store carries anything related to all sorts of sports!
I second that. One LBS carries all sorts of sport clothing for other sports besides bicycling, in winter changes into ski selling and servicing shop.
Old 04-26-21, 12:53 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Yikes! We still have one up stairs collecting dust
Mine is in pieces, scattered in various nooks, crannies and closets over three stories. I actually did use it quite regularly for a number of years.
Old 04-26-21, 10:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
Changing times FOR the better: Was doing a ride last week whenI slowly overtook a fellow about the same age on a nice bike. We rode together for about 6 miles after that and chatted. We were talking about winter training and how he didn’t like riding a trainer indoors and that his Wahoo broke and he got a new replacement still sitting in the box. He asked, Do you want it since I am not going to use it? I asked How much? He said it was $1200 new and would take $600 for the replacement! We exchanged contact info and now it is mine. We also agreed to do some rides together since we are both vaccinated and we like doing the same distances. Lucky day.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-27-21, 12:28 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 644 Posts
I to welcome our new franchise overlords and praise be to you and Ronald for making that happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.