Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are expensive cables/cable housings worth upgrading to on an entry-level bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are expensive cables/cable housings worth upgrading to on an entry-level bike?

Old 04-19-21, 05:48 PM
SkylerDakota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of begs the question, with how many upgrades does an entry-level bike does it stop becoming entry-level? I would hope and think those will work out just fine for you!
Old 04-20-21, 07:52 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I think the OP answered his own question . Buy less expensive cable/housing sets and put the money saved toward component upgrades that might truly make a difference (or toward a better bike) . Before replacing anything, I’d remove the cables and housings and inspect them for damage (corrosion, broken strands, kinks and/or poorly cut housing ends). Replacement (standard) cables are inexpensive. If the housings aren’t kinked, dress up the ends without excessive shortening, lube with some sort of “dry” lubricant and use ferrules if not used originally. If a housing is kinked, replace it. Reinstall and adjust the shifters and brakes properly. I’m guessing there will be noticeable improvement .
Old 04-20-21, 07:58 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
is it worth putting a good liability insurance policy on a clunker vehicle? Is it worth the extra cost for toilet paper that doesn't rough you up like a bouncer at the club?

Answer: Definitely!

My father always told me, “Never go cheap on whisky, women or toilet paper.” Wise words, indeed.

edited to add: You should probably go to different clubs (or just stay home!) if your bung hole keeps getting “roughed up” by the bouncer(s).

Last edited by AdkMtnMonster; 04-20-21 at 10:58 AM.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-20-21, 09:07 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
When it was still possible to walk in to shops, I've seen 'siliconized' cables or maybe it was some other such treatment for less friction or possibly also as a corrosion protection. It might be worth it, all other things being equal (as advised above about cable routing etc.).

Questions like these should always include pictures of the whole bike and details of cable routing. Only that way can you get good advice, otherwise it is just general advices that may not apply.

Before replacing wheels in the future, or other more expensive parts of the bike, I would consider buying a new one instead. Generally it doesn't make economical sense trying to push the bike into a higher quality category, you should have gotten better bike in the first place. But that also depends on your particular circumstances.

Last edited by vane171; 04-20-21 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-20-21, 05:38 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Clean square ends on both derailleur- and brake HOUSING are a must if you want to eliminate 'mush'. I cut my housings a bit long, then cut them again with a diamond cutoff wheel in a Dremel-type tool to make certain that there is no 'slop' as a result of off-square improper cuts... Use housing ferrules at the cut ends....

The Teflon-lined housing will also help to reduce friction between the inner cable and housing.

I will also opt for drawn 'slick' inner stainless cables. They also help to reduce friction, and the anti-rust properties of stainless speaks for itself...
Old 04-20-21, 06:38 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
When it was still possible to walk in to shops, I've seen 'siliconized' cables or maybe it was some other such treatment for less friction or possibly also as a corrosion protection. It might be worth it, all other things being equal (as advised above about cable routing etc.).

Questions like these should always include pictures of the whole bike and details of cable routing. Only that way can you get good advice, otherwise it is just general advices that may not apply.

Before replacing wheels in the future, or other more expensive parts of the bike, I would consider buying a new one instead. Generally it doesn't make economical sense trying to push the bike into a higher quality category, you should have gotten better bike in the first place. But that also depends on your particular circumstances.
I don't get this...people have been coming in to my shop for the entirety of the pandemic. We did double the $$$ we did the year before Covid.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-20-21, 07:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I don't get this...people have been coming in to my shop for the entirety of the pandemic. We did double the $$$ we did the year before Covid.
Maybe he means literally. Some shops here in Philly make customers wait outside. But as for business, yeah. They have been slammed.