Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1980's Schwinn touring bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 03:29 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
1980's Schwinn touring bikes

These two bikes are for sale locally (Northwest Arkansas) and they are really tempting and seem reasonably priced but just need some of your expert thoughts. The listing owner doesn't list much information but I did a little bit of research (and yes, I searched the forum also.)
The brown Schwinn Le Tour Luxe - 1985, the only year for columbus tenax frame. The Schwinn catalog listed this as a lower level touring bike. - Owner listed for $200 obo
The greenish blue Schwinn Voyageur - 1988, also columbus tenax. From what I've read these are nicer riding frames. - Owner listed for $200 obo (Just lowered from $300)
Both bikes have kickstands which is concerning if they were installed appropriately. Other than that they look all original from the pictures.
I haven't looked at them in person yet but they're only about 45minutes away from me. I thought about seeing if the seller would do a package deal for less.
Does $150 each sound reasonable?
Any information on the bikes or price would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 04-18-21, 04:59 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Both of those look good. And my size. If they were near me I would be tempted. Yes, the kickstands are of great concern and also those steel clamp on generators. Check carefully for damage. Will a complete tear down and refurb affect your $150 offer? They will need it.
Old 04-19-21, 05:24 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
FBOATSB Thats a great point that I didn't consider. I don't have all the tools to pull these BB's and I've never done wheel bearings. The last bike I did like this already had a new BB and I did a 700c conversion. Frankly, I don't have room for them right now and if I got them they'd have to live in the living room haha! Being my size also, a fan of touring, and an absolute sucker for vintage bikes, I was really tempted to snag these up. They look so good! I'll probably pass for now but I'll post the links in case you or someone else is interested. Thank you
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3242126526725/
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8247197739170/
Old 04-19-21, 06:07 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,311 Posts
If space is a concern, and they're the same price, then just buy the Voyageur since it's the better bike. You could try talking them down, but $200 ain't bad.

Specs for an 88 Voyageur are here: https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...0/1988_16.html
Likes For Clang:
Old 04-20-21, 07:29 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
BUY the bike !!!!

These did not get the respect they deserve.!!!!!

Especially the Voyageur !!!!!!!!

GREAT BIKES !!!!
Old 04-21-21, 11:22 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Ah, so with that kind of enthusiasm my chrome Voyageur should do well..........