Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will I have enough seatpost for my bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-20-21, 01:10 PM
Birdbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ordered an 18 inch bike because I read its better to go with a smaller one than a bigger one (i'm 5'10 with a 33.4-35 inch inseam 34.5-35 inch inseam with shoes on. 69 inch wingspan).

it says the seatpost has a maximum height of 37 inches from the bottom pedal stroke.

is that enough seatpost for my inseam? I'm not really sure how high up it should be besides for full leg extension.

I'll buy a bigger seat post if I have to, i'm just wondering if i'll have enough height with the stock one.

Last edited by Birdbikes; 04-20-21 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-20-21, 01:17 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
that is a very small bike
Old 04-20-21, 01:18 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
Not sure about an 18 inch frame for your height and inseam. I'm similar to you at 5'11", 34 inch inseam, and have a 20 inch framed hybrid and 56cm road bike and those are on the small side. I could easily go larger if needed. Smaller would be way too small. YMMV
Old 04-20-21, 01:19 PM
Birdbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably should have mentioned the bike is an ebike called the radmission. I went with the mid-step version.
Old 04-20-21, 01:40 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
All the information you could possibly want is on their website.

https://radpowerbikes.ca/products/ra...ric-metro-bike

Look at the chart near the bottom of the page. You are on the upper edge of the smaller size, so I would have sized up. It isn't just leg length but reach to the handlebars that should factor in sizing a bike.
Old 04-20-21, 01:44 PM
Birdbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told that since I have longer legs but shorter arms, I need a shorter reach once I put the seat up high enough for my legs. The handlebars are a bit closer on the mid-step and they are also higher which I assumed would be best once the seat is up.
Old 04-20-21, 04:36 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Except your arms are within the normal range of your height. I am still not convinced that this is the size of bike I would choose for you. Your original question was "would there be enough seat post" and the answer is yes but at the extreme edge of the sizing chart. This tells me that I would rather size up rather than have a ton of seat post showing and have all that leverage to play havoc. This may or may not happen. This is just one opinion, let others chime in and see what they say.
Old 04-20-21, 08:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
You are finding a lot of ways to talk about buying a rad power. Just buy the bike and when it fails get something more decent. Easy Peasy. If a bike only comes in one or two sizes and you can't test ride it probably a bike I would avoid especially if I am worried enough to create 3-5 different threads on the same topic.