Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace Flight Deck replacement options

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-20-21, 08:45 PM
ricpal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an S5 Cervelo with Dura Ace Flight Deck shifters that are pretty tired and on the way out. Suggestions for replacement? I have no experience with what is currently in the marketplace and would welcome opinions.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-21, 05:04 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 940 Posts
If you don't care about the Flightdeck capability, and assuming you have a 2X9 setup, you can replace with Sora ST3500 shifters, which you can still find new, or Microshift R9 shifters. If you have 3X9 setup, you can replace with the current Sora ST R3000 shifters.
Old 04-21-21, 07:40 PM
ricpal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 3 x 10 situation.
Old 04-21-21, 11:43 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by ricpal
I have a 3 x 10 situation.
In that case you could go with either the Microshift R10, or Tiagra ST4603, 105 ST5603 or ST5703, Ultegra ST6603 or ST6703. You can find all these on Ebay.
By the way, have you tried to flush and re-lubricate your existing shifters? That typically brings half-dead shifters right back to life.
Old 04-22-21, 08:08 AM
ricpal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
In that case you could go with either the Microshift R10, or Tiagra ST4603, 105 ST5603 or ST5703, Ultegra ST6603 or ST6703. You can find all these on Ebay.
By the way, have you tried to flush and re-lubricate your existing shifters? That typically brings half-dead shifters right back to life.
I have not done that as yet. I'll give that a whirl. I've got around 20K miles on these shifters so I was just thinking as the rear shifter becomes more problematic that it's about at the end of its life expectancy. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-23-21, 11:11 AM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 40 Posts
[QUOTE=i.
By the way, have you tried to flush and re-lubricate your existing shifters? That typically brings half-dead shifters right back to life.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to second this suggestion. If done properly, even nearly completely 'dead' shifters can be brought back to life. To do the job thoroughly you need to take them off the bike, spray them completely with a stream of solvent, something like WD40 (not to lubricate but to loosen all the dried grease and crud). Work them, soak them, spray them and work them some more... Anyway, there are YouTube videos on this....rinse out solvents, dry and re-lube.

It's a little trouble, but it could save you a few hundred dollars, and give you great satisfaction!