Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Risk assessment -- radial laced wheels

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-21-21, 05:42 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts

I've got a pair of wheels that have high flange Campagnolo hubs laced to Fiamme tubular rims. Great, right? The trouble is, the front wheel is radially laced and the rear wheel is radially laced on the non-drive side. I've had them sitting in my garage for a few years, lacking the temerity to ride on them but also reluctant to give them up.

Now I find myself in the position of wanting to build a set of clincher wheels for my De Rosa. I have a set of high flange Record hubs in a box in the garage, but the rear hub is French threaded. So, I was thinking about how I could cheaply procure a high flange Record rear hub with English or Italian threading and I remembered the wheels described above. Hmmm....

This, finally, leads me to my question. Would you trust a hub that you knew had previously been radially laced to a rim?

I have no idea how much, if at all, it was ridden like that. The spoke tension is fairly low. The bike they were on was small, so probably the rider was light?

Just to add to the appeal of this thread, here's a pic of the bike the wheels were on, which has long since been passed on to @Andy Antipas

Old 04-21-21, 06:05 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Andy,
I have a set of Campy hubs with the rear wheel built as half and half of 3X and radial spokes. No problems so far, and they are built on Matrix clinchers. I see no problems with them riding and have seen plenty of radial spoked wheels that performed quite nicely especially on front wheels. HTH, Smiles, MH
Old 04-21-21, 06:57 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 924 Posts
I've got two bikes with radially laced front wheels and one of them has a half radial rear wheel, yet here I am to tell the tale.

And get this for dicing with death; when I laced up the half radial wheel, the hub was previously laced up in a different configuration. Aaaaargh!
Likes For P!N20:
Old 04-21-21, 07:26 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Andy,
I have a set of Campy hubs with the rear wheel built as half and half of 3X and radial spokes. No problems so far, and they are built on Matrix clinchers. I see no problems with them riding and have seen plenty of radial spoked wheels that performed quite nicely especially on front wheels. HTH, Smiles, MH
See, this is another aspect of the problem. The rear wheel on this especially is kind of a work of art with the funky drive side lacing to go with the radial nds. I kind of hate to tear it down. But (a) I really don't want another tubular wheel set, and (b) I'm a big guy and given the reputation these hubs have with radial lacing I'm not going to try it. So, the dilemma, destroy the work of art that is this wheel build or risk destroying the work of art that is the hub or find a new caretaker for these wheels?
Old 04-21-21, 07:27 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by P!N20
And get this for dicing with death; when I laced up the half radial wheel, the hub was previously laced up in a different configuration. Aaaaargh!
Old 04-21-21, 07:50 PM
P!N20

Originally Posted by Andy_K
given the reputation these hubs have with radial lacing
I thought that only applied to C-Rec sheriff star hubs?
Old 04-21-21, 08:01 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by P!N20
I thought that only applied to C-Rec sheriff star hubs?
I don't know. When I posted about this bike three years ago a bunch of people chimed in telling me that the wheels were going to explode.
Old 04-21-21, 08:22 PM
P!N20

I don't know. When I posted about this bike three years ago a bunch of people chimed in telling me that the wheels were going to explode.
Hmmm. Any hub can potentially fail with any spoke pattern, but I can't say I've ever seen a bias towards radially laced Campy high flange hubs. YMMV.
Old 04-21-21, 08:32 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
I have a pair of wheels never ridden with the front being radial laced. It is on a low flange Chorus hub. I too have been advised that the hub is not recommended to be radial laced due to the lack of material radial out from the spoke holes.
Omega Strada Hardox V Chorus Front 32_01 on Flickr
My plan is to re lace 3x just to be on the safe side. The analysis of the forces on the hub using a free body diagram while looking at the material affected makes me nervous. I am not going to do a FEA model but just use my gut instead. Better safe than sorry. Half radial in the rear makes sense to me due to the lower tension on the NDS. But again, I don't have a good feeling about it and without data, it is not a good informed risk.

Picked up the pair for $50. They were hung in a basement for 15 years before showing up on CL.
Old 04-21-21, 08:53 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
In the 1970s I experimented with radial spokes, front wheels only. I am absolutely not a fan because of the high stress caused by the direct radial tension. I did break a Shimano hub flange, and I blame radial spoking.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-21-21, 10:07 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
I've got a pair of wheels that have high flange Campagnolo hubs laced to Fiamme tubular rims. Great, right? The trouble is, the front wheel is radially laced and the rear wheel is radially laced on the non-drive side. I've had them sitting in my garage for a few years, lacking the temerity to ride on them but also reluctant to give them up.

Now I find myself in the position of wanting to build a set of clincher wheels for my De Rosa. I have a set of high flange Record hubs in a box in the garage, but the rear hub is French threaded. So, I was thinking about how I could cheaply procure a high flange Record rear hub with English or Italian threading and I remembered the wheels described above. Hmmm....

This, finally, leads me to my question. Would you trust a hub that you knew had previously been radially laced to a rim?

I have no idea how much, if at all, it was ridden like that. The spoke tension is fairly low. The bike they were on was small, so probably the rider was light?

Just to add to the appeal of this thread, here's a pic of the bike the wheels were on, which has long since been passed on to @Andy Antipas

ditch the artistic spoking
go 3x and be happy
lets learn more about this frame set
intriguing fork crown.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-21-21, 10:57 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
I think it's really cool and you should keep it the way it is, particularly the rear wheel. It's not like you're touring on it or anything.

Also, are those drive side spokes tied and soldered?
Old 04-21-21, 11:06 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by repechage
ditch the artistic spoking
go 3x and be happy
lets learn more about this frame set
intriguing fork crown.
It's a 1969 Urago, and apparently the cool chrome spear on the fork crown indicates it was built by Anicet Cattanéo. Unfortunately, it was much too small for me.
Old 04-21-21, 11:12 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by scarlson
Also, are those drive side spokes tied and soldered?
​​​​​​Yeah, they are. It's a very cool wheel build, showcasing the kinds of master wheel building techniques I've read about but never attempted.
The things is, and I know this will further besmirch my reputation around here, I really don't like tubulars. They ride great, but to me they aren't enough better than good clinchers to be worth the trouble and especially the anxiety (irrational though it may be) of going on a long ride with them. Basically, the reason I want clincher wheels for the De Rosa is that I think I'd ride it more often that way.

Last edited by Andy_K; 04-22-21 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-21-21, 11:20 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Were it my choice to make or problem to solve, I would disassemble the wheels, get some proper spokes and lace them up as 3x cross. Why take a chance with something (Campy high flange hubs) that is becoming more costly and harder to find? But that is just me.
Old 04-22-21, 12:50 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
Are the rims Ergal?
Old 04-22-21, 02:04 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Are the rims Ergal?
I think they're older than that. Also, I had forgotten that the front and rear rims don't match.

Front:

Rear:

So, yeah, whatever those are. Maybe a Super Champion Competition and a Fiamme Red?

The mismatched rims are another strike against the wheels as they are now in my book, though I do see that either rim by itself is pretty cool.
Old 04-22-21, 04:19 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,885 Times in 1,646 Posts
Rebuilding with a standard cross pattern might be risky. Back when Campagnolo offered a lifetime warranty on their components, they stipulated that hubs that showed evidence of having originally been built with one spoke pattern and then rebuilt with another (e.g., tensioning spokes rerouted to be pulling spokes) would not be covered under warranty.
Old 04-22-21, 05:19 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Rebuilding with a standard cross pattern might be risky. Back when Campagnolo offered a lifetime warranty on their components, they stipulated that hubs that showed evidence of having originally been built with one spoke pattern and then rebuilt with another (e.g., tensioning spokes rerouted to be pulling spokes) would not be covered under warranty.
I am not convinced there is a metallurgical justification for such a statement. Marketing and/or warranty positioning? Maybe. Document it and then you are covered. IIRC the reason you want to lace it the same way is to prevent spoke breakage as a result of deformed AL impinging on a spoke, causing a stress riser.
Old 04-22-21, 05:39 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
IIRC the reason you want to lace it the same way is to prevent spoke breakage as a result of deformed AL impinging on a spoke, causing a stress riser.
If true, then lacing it the first time would expose the spoke to the same stress - re-lacing a wheel in a different pattern results in the spoke elbow lying against a new portion of the spoke-hole chamfer, just as it does the first time it's laced.

Assuming there is a chamfer, of course, some manufacturers must be relying on the fact that spokes have a much higher yield point than aluminium (on the order of double or more); which fact leads me to suggest that one should worry more about the flange than the spoke. No doubt any of the marketing droids smart enough to know that would then put out such a warning; if it was the spokes breaking they could just shrug and say it was the spoke maker's fault.
Old 04-22-21, 07:35 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,885 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I am not convinced there is a metallurgical justification for such a statement. Marketing and/or warranty positioning? Maybe. Document it and then you are covered. IIRC the reason you want to lace it the same way is to prevent spoke breakage as a result of deformed AL impinging on a spoke, causing a stress riser.
It was at a seminar for local area bike dealers conducted by a Campy USA guy that I learned of the warranty exclusion for hubs showing two different spoke direction imprints. Didn't occur to me to question his point at the time (which was that such rebuilt hubs frequently crack or tear at the flange), but then I know nothing about metallurgy. Maybe someone such as cyccommute will chime in with some knowledge.

The Campy rep also said that the warranty was void for any wheels where the builder had committed the common blunder of miscounting the spoke holes (such that half the spokes appeared too short and the other half too long) but went ahead and finished tensioning the wheel anyway. "We're good," he said, "but even Campy can't drill an oval oil hole."
Old 04-22-21, 11:00 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
The bigger problem imo with radial lacing is the failure mode, where adjacent same-side spokes at the hub are also adjacent at the rim.

So in the case of a typical flange failure where perhaps two spokes suddenly lose tension, those two spokes are adjacent along the same side of the rim, causing the rim to go so far out of true as to possibly stop turning and possibly causing a crash or worse, a header. Spoke crossing prevents this by further separating spokes at the rim which are adjacent along the flange.

I've also seen quite a few radial-laced wheels fail while in storage, due entirely to aluminum's "creep yield" failure mode. Spokes don't fail this way but common aluminum alloys are known to yield slowly at the molecular level, similar to how plastics behave, even at "room" temperatures.
Today we have aluminum alloys processed to a degree as to be safely uses as spokes, in tension all of the time, but which doesn't apply universally to old hub shells.
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-22-21, 11:22 AM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 137 Posts
Discussion about rim's role in failure or not. Would think a soft, weak rim would be a bad choice for radial spoking. On this rear, the radial is on the non-drive side which isn't tensioned as much as the drive side. Maybe good for time trials and riders who are light on the bike (versus gear mashers), but probably not for everyday use.

Andy, find another hub or wheel set, those are art wheels, probably suitable for a wall hanger or ride to the coffee shop bike.
Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 04-22-21, 11:36 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Obviously the original owner had the drive side spokes soldered because it flexed too much, and I'm guessing they did radial on the one side to save a little weight. If I was wanting to ride those wheels I'd ditch the radial spokes. Just check the flange holes for cracks and you should be good to go.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 04-22-21, 11:58 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,737 Times in 1,497 Posts
​​​​​​Yeah, they are. It's a very cool wheel build, showcasing the kinds of master wheel building techniques I've read about but never attempted.
The things is, and I know this will further besmirch my reputation around here, I really don't like tubulars. They ride great, but to me they aren't enough better than good clinchers to be worth the trouble and especially the anxiety (irrational though it may be) of going on a long ride with them. Basically, the reason I want clincher wheels for the De Rosa I'd that I think I'd ride it .ore often that way.
your choice..... I ride both tubie and tubed and understand your concern...... for clincher tires I really like the conti gp5000 fwiw

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.