Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I can dream...

Old 04-21-21, 10:54 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis

But yes, life gets in the way. Lost about 10 family members in the last year and a half (cancer, accidents, illness, Covid). Including my father and a son. But it does good to get out and ride when you can find the motivation!
Mother of god - and I thought my 2020 was bad.....😟
Likes For Litespud:
Old 04-22-21, 12:07 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
Two things helped me address the spousal time issue.

First, I encouraged her burgeoning knitting hobby. If you don't know, knitting has become quite the thing. Ungodly expensive yarn, conventions, yarn crawls, knit group night, retreats, global online speed knitting competitions. If knowledgeable burglars ever break into our house, they'll bypass everything else and go straight to the yarn stash. Complex knitting requires extreme focus, lest she make a mistake and have to rip out hours of work. I'm just a distraction when that's going on.

After that, she had her own things to do and places to go. I went with her to some conventions, took my bike or rented one, and explored parts of Nevada, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Washington State. When she was home, she wanted me out of the house.

Next, I started doing some solo hiking, then reading up on thru-hiking the Appalachian trail. I was poring over trail stories, looking at maps, evaluating gear. Thru-hiking the AT, you probably know, is a multi-month venture.

After that, she was ecstatic when I switched to talking about a mere week in France for Paris-Brest-Paris, instead of disappearing into the woods for 3 months.

Edit: But seriously, her hobby is quite intense, and every bit as out there as is mine. There's no jealousy, because we're both doing what we want.

Last edited by downtube42; 04-22-21 at 07:46 PM.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-22-21, 05:29 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I'll retire from the military next September at 48 after 21 years. Have my dream bike currently on order and plan on riding my bike lots and lots and lots.
My bike was a "graduation" present to myself when my youngest got his Masters,never moved back and was off the family payroll.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-22-21, 06:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
Don't do what I did and get your dream bike early...it messes you up...

This bike is too nice to ride or park in the dirt!
Old 04-22-21, 08:27 PM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts
My recurring dreams follow one of two story lines. Either I missed a ton of work, show up at the office, and can't find my desk ... Or I missed a ton of classes, show up for the final, and don't know jack. We're having a ton of fun while asleep, oh boy.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-22-21, 09:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,365 Times in 2,797 Posts
Get her an e-bike and you will be the one struggling to keep up. She may really enjoy cleaning your clock, especially on climbs. My wife does this to me regularly.

Likes For rsbob: