Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting back into the saddle

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-21-21, 05:55 PM
LisaG71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I have a few questions.
thank you for all the help as well.

1) I need a new saddle for my Fuji absolute 1.9 hybrid .... the saddle it came with is harder than a rock and uncomfortable.
Can anyone recommend something in the price range of 30.00 to 50.00 (USD) that I can find online? Amazon would be wonderful!!!

2) How do I find my balance to ride smoothly again? A friend mentioned training wheels, are they even made for adults?
I haven't been on a bike since I was around 10-12 when a horse came into my life and I rode her everywhere instead of my bike. She was also my best friend (and lots easier to go uphill in also).

3) How do I find racks for the bike? what the heck do I look for?!? I am at a loss. I have contacted the company more than once to try to get their help in some specific information with no luck. FUJI absolute 1.9 19in diamond frame (which is all I know about this bike)

Some things you should know..
I had hip replacement surgery back in Dec. I have been given the OK to ride from the surgeon who did the surgery. I also have essential tremor (which I am hoping to get zapped this summer).

thanks for all the help with these.. I am excited to get back in the saddle!!!

Last edited by LisaG71; 04-21-21 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-21-21, 07:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
I would talk to a fitter as far as saddles or try some out maybe your local shop has a tryout program or can help measure your sit bones. Typically $30 saddles probably aren't going to be much better than what you have and certainly those heavy padded gel RX BS saddles aren't going to solve any problems but just make them worse.

As far as balance the best way to do things is take off the pedals and use it as a balance bike. Training wheels don't really do any good for balance just keeping you able to ride on 3-4 wheels instead of two. Balance bikes are the way to go to learn balance. Lower the saddle, remove the pedals and start scooting and lift your feet and you will get there eventually.

Go down to your local shop and they can take a look a the bike and recommend and sell and install a rack if one will fit. Most likely if you have rack mounts you can fit just about any rack but Tubus, Racktime, Topeak, Planet Bike, Surly, Specialized all make some decent racks. What are you looking to carry?

Good luck with getting back in the saddle.

Last edited by Hermes; 04-23-21 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Political content
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-21-21, 07:41 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Amazon is not wonderful to the employees but Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world so always good to support that. I would talk to a fitter as far as saddles or try some out maybe your local shop has a tryout program or can help measure your sit bones. Typically $30 saddles probably aren't going to be much better than what you have and certainly those heavy padded gel RX BS saddles aren't going to solve any problems but just make them worse.

As far as balance the best way to do things is take off the pedals and use it as a balance bike. Training wheels don't really do any good for balance just keeping you able to ride on 3-4 wheels instead of two. Balance bikes are the way to go to learn balance. Lower the saddle, remove the pedals and start scooting and lift your feet and you will get there eventually.

Go down to your local shop and they can take a look a the bike and recommend and sell and install a rack if one will fit. Most likely if you have rack mounts you can fit just about any rack but Tubus, Racktime, Topeak, Planet Bike, Surly, Specialized all make some decent racks. What are you looking to carry?

Good luck with getting back in the saddle.
I order from Amazon all the time. If you don't like it, don't order! BUT, LOTS of small BUSINESSES USE amazon as a platform to sell their products . . . WHICH I utilize all the time.
Likes For LisaG71:
Old 04-21-21, 07:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
this might help you decide, to go with or stay away from certain asspects.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...t-comfort.html
Old 04-21-21, 07:50 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by LisaG71
I order from Amazon all the time. If you don't like it, don't order! BUT, LOTS of small BUSINESSES USE amazon as a platform to sell their products . . . WHICH I utilize all the time.
I too use AZ and Ebay, but I have never purchased a saddle from either one. Lots of bike parts and electronics, etc, but never a saddle. For a saddle, I recommend you visit the LBS and talk with someone explaining what you're after (riding style and bike type) and let them kinda guide you if they appear to know what they're talking about. Good luck with the balance. My DW (now 73) gave up riding 2 years ago because of inner ear (balance) issues. I still ride 20+ miles/day in all weather. I did recently give away my MTB to a young guy in the neighborhood, much to my wife's delight. She just recently purchased me a new bright yellow riding jacket because now I spend so much time on the highway, but she prefers that over my stupid MTB antics. Good luck to ya,
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 04-21-21, 07:52 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
this might help you decide, to go with or stay away from certain asspects.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...t-comfort.html
Do you have a copyright on that>ASSpects
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 04-21-21, 07:59 PM
LisaG71

I want to eventually use the bike to bike tour with .. more than likely it won't be until I get full use of my leg back. but, it's my goal. For now, I need a pack to hold a sweatshirt, rain gear, hydration, dog gear. go pro stuff.

The shop I bought my bike at is 50 miles away, the local shop is closed for now due to covid (45 miles away) ... I would like to get racks before September.
As for installing: I think I can figure it out it really doesn't seem too hard.. plus there is always YouTube (oh wait, that is owned by someone rich too! is it also off-limits, or JUST amazon?!?)

what are "sit bones"? that is not a term I am familiar with? I am a science major... lol My surgeon learned fast, that I like medical terms, rather than layman terms. So much easier to understand. However, I did google "sit bones" and I came up with zero entries.
Old 04-21-21, 08:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
Well that doesn't change much. The workers at Amazon still are maltreated and of course Jeff Bezos is still the richest man on the planet. Of course yes you can find ways to make Amazon sound good. People do that all the time...Mussolini made the trains run on time and Bernie Madoff donated a bunch of his money to potentially decent causes.

I don't order from Amazon. I try not to support companies and people like that. Places willing to sell fakes and knockoffs and treat their employees like that are not places that are good to give your business to.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-21-21, 08:12 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,009 Posts
Getting back in the saddle... Oh Boy, What Fun!

1> There is a seat out there that allows you to ride all day without any pain; but the Elves snapped them all up to ride thier unicorns. Still, the search goes on. On a hip replacement you are going to need a wide seat. Don't get fancy. If you must have extra padding and springs then your not ready to ride yet. Try a female "Sanctus" seat. They are not expensive and found through Amazon easily.

2> Finding your Ballance just requires training. When you are riding don't look to far off in the distance and not to close either. Ride slow and focus about 3 meters in front of your front wheel. Ride at first in a parking lot and pick things out on the surface to ride around. I usually go through an empty parking lot picking two rocks or leaves on the ground and try to get both my tires through them without touching them. It works. Also, when riding I am always trying to pick out my next place to fall. Here is a good test. Stand up on one leg and close your eyes. How long is it before you tip? That gives you an idea of how fast and over what terrain you can ride.

3> Bicycle Rack? Much latter... Keep your bike clean and simple. Keep your bike light and maneuverable. Latter you will know when you can afford the extra weight of a rack.

Notes: You are coming back after surgery. You are a different person now so you have to learn what this new person can do, but slowly and without injury. You probably should lower your seat a little (1"-2.5cm) or more from the way you used to have it. You might need to raise your handle bars up a little too. For me straight bars even with a 6° back sweep are uncomfortable. You may want to consider getting a handle bar with more sweep. At least from 15° to 40°, something like the "Origin8 transit Ergo" Handlebar. Don't worry about your resting tremor. I have had guys blast past me on thier bikes who had sever Parkinsonian tremors. Yep... GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 04-21-21, 08:18 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by Bigbus
Do you have a copyright on that>ASSpects
I love the name.
thanks for the link! I am seriously amazed at the price people have spent for saddles . . . WOW! I seriously can not afford some of the high priced ones. I'd say my price range is around 50.00 MAX right now.

Is it worth trying a few I have found on Amazon? I have been thinking gel or memory foam as a material that would be most comfy for me, knowing how comfy I need it to be.
Old 04-21-21, 08:21 PM
Troul 

I'd try grabbing some padded jhorts before swapping butt bike parts. You might beat the rump costs while gaining that serious cyclists look all in one shot!
Old 04-21-21, 08:27 PM
LisaG71

Well that doesn't change much. The workers at Amazon still are maltreated and of course Jeff Bezos is still the richest man on the planet. Of course yes you can find ways to make Amazon sound good. People do that all the time...Mussolini made the trains run on time and Bernie Madoff donated a bunch of his money to potentially decent causes.

I don't order from Amazon. I try not to support companies and people like that. Places willing to sell fakes and knockoffs and treat their employees like that are not places that are good to give your business to.
and trump screwed the USA and people still support him.. If you want to rant about the rich.. please refrain from doing it on MY POST! I am trying to learn here and get back to the life I once had. and I bought a bike. I can now do stuff again. go rant somewhere else. I actually had an amazon order come today! I own an ECHO. Eventually, the government (now that we actually have decent leadership) will crack down on their illegal policies, I am not worried.
Likes For LisaG71:
Old 04-21-21, 08:31 PM
LisaG71

I'd try grabbing some padded jhorts before swapping butt bike parts. You might beat the rump costs while gaining that serious cyclists look all in one shot!

I don't plan on wearing cycle shorts . . . I get cold easily and I promised myself no freezing on my bike. Not saying I am wearing jeans, but I have some other options that arent skin-tight Lycra.
As far as other cyclists go... I don't care what others think... they can even laugh if they want. i do not care.
Old 04-21-21, 08:33 PM
Troul 

You can wear the padded stuff under the chaps you wear normally.
Old 04-21-21, 08:38 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by zandoval

1> There is a seat out there that allows you to ride all day without any pain; but the Elves snapped them all up to ride thier unicorns. Still, the search goes on. On a hip replacement you are going to need a wide seat. Don't get fancy. If you must have extra padding and springs then your not ready to ride yet. Try a female "Sanctus" seat. They are not expensive and found through Amazon easily.

2> Finding your Ballance just requires training. When you are riding don't look to far off in the distance and not to close either. Ride slow and focus about 3 meters in front of your front wheel. Ride at first in a parking lot and pick things out on the surface to ride around. I usually go through an empty parking lot picking two rocks or leaves on the ground and try to get both my tires through them without touching them. It works. Also, when riding I am always trying to pick out my next place to fall. Here is a good test. Stand up on one leg and close your eyes. How long is it before you tip? That gives you an idea of how fast and over what terrain you can ride.

3> Bicycle Rack? Much latter... Keep your bike clean and simple. Keep your bike light and maneuverable. Latter you will know when you can afford the extra weight of a rack.

Notes: You are coming back after surgery. You are a different person now so you have to learn what this new person can do, but slowly and without injury. You probably should lower your seat a little (1"-2.5cm) or more from the way you used to have it. You might need to raise your handle bars up a little too. For me straight bars even with a 6° back sweep are uncomfortable. You may want to consider getting a handle bar with more sweep. At least from 15° to 40°, something like the "Origin8 transit Ergo" Handlebar. Don't worry about your resting tremor. I have had guys blast past me on thier bikes who had sever Parkinsonian tremors. Yep... GOOD LUCK!!!
Thank you so much for this. Makes me feel better knowing my tremors aren't going to stop me from riding. (now to do some research into tremors and bike riding)
to answer some things.
my seat is all the way down, I was thinking about adjusting my handle bars UP (the shop I got it from said they can help adjust them)
Going to ask before I do this . . . can I print your post so I can refer back to it quickly?
Old 04-21-21, 08:58 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by zandoval

This is the only Sanctus I found.
https://smile.amazon.com/Comfortable...g-goods&sr=1-3
and
I also found this.
https://smile.amazon.com/Most-Comfor...eation&sr=1-27
Old 04-21-21, 09:02 PM
LisaG71

You can wear the padded stuff under the chaps you wear normally.
I didn't think of this My pants of choice will be scrub pants. I love them and own several pairs. they are light comfy (actually have pockets) and are in my favorite colors. Plus some have elastic at the cuff. For cycling, I plan to waterproof the ones I wear.
Old 04-21-21, 09:15 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
I've read this thread and just thinking out loud here, have you thought about a trike, 3 wheeled bicycle? Seems as if it may solve most of your hurdles in one swoop.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 04-21-21, 09:22 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Good idea. Just to add, lower the saddle to the point you can easily plant both feet flat on the ground - This could mean getting a bike where you can get the seat pretty low - like many recent model hardtail MTBs. If you plan on using road bike, you'll have to go with recent model compact frames and go undersize as last resort just to get both your feet down for balance training.
Mine is a hybrid, as my surgeon said NO road bikes.
Old 04-21-21, 09:29 PM
LisaG71

Originally Posted by Outrider1
I've read this thread and just thinking out loud here, have you thought about a trike, 3 wheeled bicycle? Seems as if it may solve most of your hurdles in one swoop.
unfortunately, they were above my price range. Plus, could not find one in Maine! BIKES ARE SCARCE HERE! There would be some things I would have to consider too.
would I be able to bikepack with it? would I be able to add a trailer? could my dog safely jog next to the bike?

Yes, I did take a trike into concideration.
Old 04-21-21, 09:38 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 1,232 Times in 711 Posts
Mine is a hybrid, as my surgeon said NO road bikes.
Take your time and don't overdo it. The seat you have may be okay for you, after you get a few miles under your belt. I would stay away from a memory foam saddle. Generally speaking, a softer saddle is worse than a firmer saddle. These are just generalities though, and every one is different.

The padded shorts under the scrubs sounds like a good idea for you. As for seat height, for now, lower is not a bad idea, just don't go too low. You have to work with your flexibility, and I am sure that after a hip replacement, you won't be as flexible as you were, for now. Try not to try to push too hard of a gear either. It is better to spin the pedals faster, than it is to try to push hard on the pedal, especially coming off a hip replacement.

Best of luck wit the recovery, and getting back into biking. Most importantly, have fun!
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-22-21, 04:56 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
and trump screwed the USA and people still support him.. If you want to rant about the rich.. please refrain from doing it on MY POST! I am trying to learn here and get back to the life I once had. and I bought a bike. I can now do stuff again. go rant somewhere else. I actually had an amazon order come today! I own an ECHO. Eventually, the government (now that we actually have decent leadership) will crack down on their illegal policies, I am not worried.
Careful.
No politics around here.
You said that we now have ‘decent leadership’ though lol.
We need more new members such as yourself with a good sense of humor
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-22-21, 05:56 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
If you are new to cycling there is a lot you don't know. And, asking questions is a good way to start. BUT, ultimately it won't be the answers that resolve the issues, it twill be your experiences. So, let the answers here be a guide but expect the solutions to come from yourself over time. Be patient with it all. My advice for the beginning of your journey is to make sure your bike fits and then ride it. Over time you will start figuring things out.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-22-21, 09:24 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 427 Posts
Sit Bones measurement: Sit Bones Width Measurement and Bike Saddle Selection - BikeFit
A good pair of padded underwear, or shorts, for cycling are VERY helpful. I almost got rid of a saddle, that has turned out to be just fine, after finding biking shorts that work for me. Of course, adjusting the saddle is important also, and is a matter of trial and error. Some saddles feel fine perfectly "level", while some may feel better with the nose tilted up or downward, more forward, or towards the back of the bike. If you do buy a new saddle, read the fine print-some manufacturers offer a trial period in which the saddle may be returned. WTB has an interesting saddle fit system-I've never used it, so can't say how accurate it might be, but here's a link if you care to read it: Fit Right System – WTB
You may want to contact the bike shop, even if not close by, to see if they have any "take off" saddles that you might try on a trial basis. Might find one that works for you, and avoid ordering, trying, maybe returning, etc. Lots of good saddles out there, just don't go with what is described as a "comfort" saddle, that is too soft, you might like it around the block, but most likely not in the long run.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 04-22-21, 09:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

You really needed to make this completely off-topic argument twice? If you want to argue the moral case for different suppliers, start your own thread.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.