Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for some advice about 700c trekking wheelset

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-22-21, 12:31 PM
Solist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some not too hefty rim brake wheels for my mothers trekking bike. She uses Shimano 8 speed. All suggestions would be more than appreciated since I started chasing my tail.
Old 04-22-21, 12:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
How much does she weigh, what bike is she riding, what spacing does it have, what kind of riding is she doing...??? Give us a bit of info here so we can help you.
Old 04-23-21, 07:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Solist
Looking for some not too hefty rim brake wheels for my mothers trekking bike. She uses Shimano 8 speed. All suggestions would be more than appreciated since I started chasing my tail.
List a budget.

If you dont want to spend the money for CK hub wheelsets, then why have people waste their time suggesting something like that?
Also, what dropout spacing is needed- 130 or 135?
Old 04-23-21, 07:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Is there something wrong with the current wheelset?
Old 04-23-21, 11:17 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 238 Posts
Looking around Velomine.com will give you an idea of whats available.

Also listing the information others have suggested will help.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-21, 01:02 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 286 Posts
I've had 32 hole MAVIC rims on my Bruce Gordon since 1992. Throughout a lot of on and off pavement riding, recreationally, and loaded. They haven't needed truing beyond a tweak or two here and there, every couple of years.
Old 04-24-21, 07:06 AM
Solist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apologies, I wrote the post in a hurry. Budget would be up to 200€. I am not currently home, my father will measure it this evening will also ask him about the rims, I know they are Alexrims, bur can't remember currently the model. The problem are mainly the hubs. The bike she bought was an Author trekking, but the lbs went the cheap route on the hubs. They are still the old type, without cartridge bearings, and they really take a lot of effort to turn.

Maybe it would be a better idea to just replace the hubs, and save for a new bike in the future. There are quite a bit of hills where she lives, and maybe an ebike would be more suited for her. Although I was pushing against that.
Old 04-24-21, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
If the current wheels take a lot of effort to turn, something is probably set up wrong and the cones too tight. Which is quite common for wheels I've gotten that others adjust.

Personally I prefer the old cup and cone wheel bearings to cartridge bearings. But not enough to quibble about one or the other as criteria for wheel purchase.

Replacing just the hubs will probably be more expensive than finding a new wheelset online. But probably worth checking on with whomever would do this for you.

I'd find out why the current wheels are so tight. Might be too late if they have many miles on them. But still cones and race can be replaced.

You aren't just saying they are tight because they don't spin freely as long as the others are you? Sometimes that's just a hub filled with to much grease that hasn't gotten pushed out of the way yet.
Old 04-24-21, 10:30 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
You need to post where you live. Some countries have certain wheels you can't get in other countries. I was gonna suggest Bicycle Wheel Warehouse until I saw your euro sign.
Old 04-26-21, 07:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Solist
Apologies, I wrote the post in a hurry. Budget would be up to 200€. I am not currently home, my father will measure it this evening will also ask him about the rims, I know they are Alexrims, bur can't remember currently the model. The problem are mainly the hubs. The bike she bought was an Author trekking, but the lbs went the cheap route on the hubs. They are still the old type, without cartridge bearings, and they really take a lot of effort to turn.

Maybe it would be a better idea to just replace the hubs, and save for a new bike in the future. There are quite a bit of hills where she lives, and maybe an ebike would be more suited for her. Although I was pushing against that.
Cup and cone bearings, which is the term for the type of hub you describe, can run smooth for minutes on end with just a spin of the wheel. They simply need to be adjusted properly.
By all means, buy a different wheelset if you want, but it may not be better than the current wheelset once its properly adjusted.

Once you know the dropout spacing, just google around. There are a number of euro sites that stock entry level machine built wheels.
Old 04-26-21, 10:02 AM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Another consideration--will she actually be using the bike for "trekking"? Will she be using racks and panniers and carrying camping gear and clothes over rough roads? My loaded touring bike uses 36 spoke wheels with Shimano (cup and cone!) hubs and Velocity Dyad rims. Very sturdy and heavy and reliable carrying lots of weight. Overkill for riding unloaded.

David
Old 04-26-21, 03:08 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
Originally Posted by David in Maine
Another consideration--will she actually be using the bike for "trekking"? Will she be using racks and panniers and carrying camping gear and clothes over rough roads? My loaded touring bike uses 36 spoke wheels with Shimano (cup and cone!) hubs and Velocity Dyad rims. Very sturdy and heavy and reliable carrying lots of weight. Overkill for riding unloaded.

David
"Trekking" is a term commonly used in Europe for a more upright hybrid/commuter bike, usually with rack, fenders, and hybrid/mountain gearing (3X) rather than road gearing.
Sort of along the lines of a TREK FX series type thing we have here.
Old 04-26-21, 05:24 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
If you're in the EU, tell your father to look at Bike24 (https://www.bike24.com/mtb-wheels.ht...rm-filter=&pgc[31][391]=1&pgc[72][476]=1&sort=price_asc), Rose Bikes (https://www.rosebikes.com/bike-parts/wheels), etc.

If he can spend an extra 44 Euros or so, the DT Swiss H 1950 Classic is an excellent trekking option. Designed for eBikes, it's tough and affordable and can be used for regular trekking bikes without pedal assist (https://www.bike24.com/p2275352.html...iss%20h%201950).

I think there's probably a small language barrier, but you say you need new rims because the hubs are the problem, so it's a bit confusing. However, rebuilding wheels will cost you about the same as a new wheelset in terms of parts and labor, unless you dad is going to do the job himself.
Old 05-03-21, 03:06 AM
Solist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apologies for not replying, and the confusion. I live in Slovenia. I wrote the post in a hurry, and I have a couple of deadlines to catch, so my mind is all over the place. My father is a bit unknowledgeable when it comes to bikes, so I had to measure it. The spacing on the frame is 135mm. She weights about 55kg.

Currently she has Alexrims ACE-18 wheels, with Quando hubs. No model number on those hubs.

She uses the bike mainly for shorter rides (40km in total), but in the future you never know.

I checked the rims for wear, and they are quite concave, so it might be time for a new wheelset. Those DT swiss are 300€ if shipped to my country, so a bit over the budget, but will tell him nevertheless.
Old 05-03-21, 03:12 AM
Solist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will try to readjust them. They do not have much spare time which leads to not taking care of their bikes, so everything is in bad shape. Checked the rims for wear, and they are in pretty bad shape. The lbs put some cheap brake pads on, and they really chew through the rims.
Old 05-03-21, 06:51 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Just check those online sites. It may be hard in 2021, due to Covid supply shortages, but Bike24 and those European online retailers usually have tough trekking wheelsets with heavy but durable rims and Deore hubs for 150-200 Euros.

Or just go to a local bike shop there in Slovenia and see what they can do for you; 700c trekking wheelsets are common in Europe, they may be able to order something.