Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New to me Panasonic Touring Deluxe & Jim Blackburn Front Rack

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-21, 02:05 PM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts

Went to check out a 25" (my size) 1985 Panasonic Touring Deluxe. The bike was unrealistically priced at $300, & the seller only had one pic on FB Mkt Place, so it languished for months. Finally, I reached out & highlighted the time & cost it would take to get it back on the road, (all new consumables, all bearings serviced) not to mention the bike originally sold for less than $500. The seller agreed the price was unrealistic, then invited me to come have a look.
It's more of a sport touring bike, bosses for 2 water bottle cages instead of 3, no mid fork mounts for a rack, & the frame is nothing special, Double Butted Tange 1000 & a High-Ten fork, so I knew going in $75 was going to be my number. Still, it has cantis & double eyelets front & back, a relaxed geometry, & a triple crank. Plus unlike many of Panasonic's mid 80s color schemes, the Touring Deluxe looks subtle & understated. The bike was lightly ridden-paint & decals look fantastic. And it definitely punches above it's weight when it comes to ride quality, very similar to a Miyata 610 I always regretted letting go of. Nonetheless, $75 was what it was worth to me, & I politely told the seller I couldn't pay any more.
He mentioned having a coupe of other items to potentially throw in, & if I would agree to $100, the bike & the additional goodies were mine.
He headed back into his garage and returned with a vintage Jim Blackburn Front Rack, as well as front & rear Deore MT60 derailleurs. We elbow bumped, I gladly paid him, & here are the pics.

Last edited by OutnBack; 04-22-21 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-22-21, 02:07 PM
amerikaner

Bikes: Bikes: 1979 Trek 930, 1979 Trek 710, 1996 Trek 970, 2000 Merlin Extralight, 2005 Merlin Agilis Framesets: 1980 Trek 410, 1981 Trek 610, 1984 Trek 400, (2x) 1985 Trek 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Nice, the rack it self is worth the $75 !!!
Old 04-25-21, 08:18 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree...$300 was indeed a fair price; you scored a very fine bike AND a special deal at $100. 👍👍👍