Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Night riding with coyotes.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-22-21, 03:53 PM
JohnnyB65

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It’s going to be getting too hot for me to ride during the day soon and I want to start riding at night before bed time to help me sleep. Plus the full moon is coming up and I’ve always wanted to ride then. I’ve had to deal with dogs chasing me over the years and always managed to stop them by yelling commands.

I now live outside the city in the desert and we have lots of coyotes hunting at night so I’m not so sure if I can command them to stay away. I know they can take down a deer and I’ve been told that they can sense health weaknesses which worries me because I’m over 70 with health issues and can’t really move that fast. I’ve heard many stories about bike riders being chased by cougars and bears, but never heard anything about coyotes.
Old 04-22-21, 04:17 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Any coyotes I've ever encountered have always been very timid and have gone out of their way to avoid contact. I don't think they typically view adult humans as prey.
Old 04-22-21, 04:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If you are really worried, carry a can of Halt! like mailhumans use for thwarting dog attacks. But I'm very confident you will never need it.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-22-21, 04:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
I'd be shocked if you could get within 100 ft. of a coyote.
Old 04-22-21, 05:10 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Any coyotes I've ever encountered have always been very timid and have gone out of their way to avoid contact. I don't think they typically view adult humans as prey.
There’s one really big male that passes through my property at night. I’ve seen him many times at night with my high-powered flashlight and he doesn’t seem afraid. I also see females with 2 or 3 young passing through in the early mornings. The young ones have stalked my dog, but as soon as the mom sees me, she runs the pups off.
Old 04-22-21, 05:13 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
If you are really worried, carry a can of Halt! like mailhumans use for thwarting dog attacks. But I'm very confident you will never need it.
Oh I never thought of that, Thanks
Old 04-22-21, 05:21 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
A friend of mine had her dog killed by a coyote. The golden retriever puppy in my avatar was stalked a few times when she was little, but nothing came of it. I've seen a few around here that don't seem to have any fear. But we also have mountain lions, which are a more significant threat.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-22-21, 05:30 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I had one make a half hearted charge at me, at dusk, but that was very unusual.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-22-21, 05:31 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had a flat tire on my truck once in the desert during the day and had 3 good sized coyotes watching me. They would move in close every time I had to lay down in the dirt to jack up the axel and then they would back off every time I stood up. I just don't know how it would have worked out at night.
Likes For JohnnyB65:
Old 04-22-21, 05:31 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
carry mace or a tazer. Just don't carry any whiteclaws!
Old 04-22-21, 05:35 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
i had one make a half hearted charge at me, at dusk, but that was very unusual.
wow!
Old 04-22-21, 05:42 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyB65
wow!

It wasn't a big deal- I think it was young & inexperienced.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-22-21, 06:04 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Had coyotes jog along side of the road at night while riding in the mountains. I see one mostly and rarely 2 but they jog along for 20 feet or so then duck in the brush. They never seem to care that I'm there.

But, if I ride alone at night, I take something that could double as a weapon. Anything that will poke and animals eye out if needed.
I used work in the mountains and saw many Mountain Lions. I was always told not to run or it would trigger a reaction and I was worried that if I road past a coyote it might trigger a chase like dogs do.
Likes For JohnnyB65:
Old 04-22-21, 06:35 PM
runaway42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are a lot of coyotes where I live and I might ride pretty often and I’ve never had them come near me. I’ve heard them in the distance but never had them come close. I think if you’re making some noise they’ll stay away.
Likes For runaway42:
Old 04-22-21, 06:36 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
carry mace or a tazer. Just don't carry any whiteclaws!
What is a white claw?
Old 04-22-21, 06:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 2,790 Times in 1,795 Posts
I worry more about dogs than coyotes and other predators. Feral and even untrained domesticated dogs are the most dangerous. Most people who "own" dogs aren't responsible dog owners. They're just dog keepers and feeders, without a clue about responsible ownership and training. When an untrained domesticated dog behaves aggressively and the owner fails to correct it, the dog "learns" that the owner gives tacit approval to such aggression and the dog repeats that behavior, thinking it's doing what its owner wants, "protecting" it's people and turf. Those are the most dangerous animals most of us will ever encounter. It's the human's fault, not the dog's.

When I was stationed in SoCal in the 1970s I often rode my bike at night, and hiked through the Cleveland forest and surrounding chaparral, I often saw and heard coyotes, large owls and occasional bobcats. Never saw any larger wild cats, although I'm sure they were around. No problems.

I worried a bit more about owls, which can be unexpectedly effective hunters against moving objects such as cyclists. A few hikers have reported being struck by owls, suffering scalp damage a shock. At least one fall from elevation and death was attributed to an owl attack. I doubt owls deliberately "attack humans" but may swoop potential prey, or defend its nest if we get too close. In Texas, mockingbirds are the most aggressive nest defenders, notorious for swooping passersby. No reports of serious injuries from mockers, just hurt feelings.

These critters are common in Texas too. I usually carry pepper gel spray. Takes a bit more care to aim, but there's no overspray to splatter back into our faces. It's this model from Sabre -- small, lightweight, decent range. I clip it onto my waistband or suspender with a carabiner, belt loop with shorts and jeans, etc. Some folks use elastic holders around their forearms to keep it handy. Whatever works and encourages you to actually carry it.

I've used it once, during a walk when a dog charged me. I'd already spotted the dog behaving oddly from about 100 yards away and had the pepper spray in my hand. It was skulking in the middle of the road, ignoring traffic, apparently gnawing on road kill. It seemed clumsy, with a weird gait and posture, so I worried it might be rabid. As I approached it charged and I pointed and fired -- the gel hit it square in the muzzle and eyes. The dog immediately veered away and was struck a glancing blow by a passing car. The dog ran away, apparently unharmed. No idea what happened to it afterward.

Anyway, unfortunate story. But shows the effectiveness of good pepper spray, even in gel form.

Reminds me, I need to order another since the one I got was from 2018 and has been used once.

The only gripe I have about that specific Sabre model is the finger guard doesn't actually give a tactile clue to proper hold. If the finger nub is held between forefinger and middle finger, which feels normal, you'll actually spray your forefinger. So whenever I hold it I have to consciously remind myself to keep my forefinger below the finger nub.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-22-21, 07:52 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by runaway42
There are a lot of coyotes where I live and I might ride pretty often and I’ve never had them come near me. I’ve heard them in the distance but never had them come close. I think if you’re making some noise they’ll stay away.
I probably would feel better if I weren't alone.
Old 04-22-21, 08:02 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
better safe than sorry. Figure out an effective way to be armed
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 04-22-21, 08:05 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by runaway42
As long as it isn't "beep! beep!"
Likes For atwl77:
Old 04-22-21, 08:09 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I used to live in Arizona and never heard of problems with coyotes and cyclists, hikers or hunters. Now, you "could" encounter one with rabies but that's a one-off. My personal experience with coyotes, and I saw them virtually every night on our property, is that if they see you, they run away. You could arm yourself with a pepper spray if it makes you more comfortable but I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-22-21, 08:30 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyB65
It’s going to be getting too hot for me to ride during the day soon and I want to start riding at night before bed time to help me sleep. Plus the full moon is coming up and I’ve always wanted to ride then. I’ve had to deal with dogs chasing me over the years and always managed to stop them by yelling commands.

I now live outside the city in the desert and we have lots of coyotes hunting at night so I’m not so sure if I can command them to stay away. I know they can take down a deer and I’ve been told that they can sense health weaknesses which worries me because I’m over 70 with health issues and can’t really move that fast. I’ve heard many stories about bike riders being chased by cougars and bears, but never heard anything about coyotes.
You’re fine. Neighborhood dogs chase you to try to be Alpha over you.
You probably had yotes sleeping in the bushes riding in the city/burbs and you didn’t know it.

You are the last thing a desert song dog wants to deal with.
If you were a toddler/preschooler? Sure.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-22-21, 08:31 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,009 Posts
Coyotes... Not really a problem. Spray is usually a good idea. Here in Texas Coyotes are well conditioned to avoid gun fire or anything similar.

My biggest fear here in Central Texas is Feral Hogs. I had a run in with them on my bicycle in day light years ago that changed my life.

Long Story: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ga-chromo.html
Old 04-22-21, 08:32 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
The bigger danger will be coming around a bend at speed. I had to panic stop from 25 mph on a canyon road about a month ago. I stopped about a foot from his snout. He just stared at me for a moment, sized me up, then trotted off the road. I did not fear him nor he me.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 04-22-21, 08:40 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Yotes and barn owls are way more ubiquitous than most realize. Most people just don’t see them during the day, so they don’t realize even in urban environments these type of animals are around.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-22-21, 08:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,365 Times in 2,797 Posts
Have seen coyotes while mountain biking and they either run or keep their distance. Was surprised one time going thru a local town with 6 miles to go, to hear claws on the pavement gaining on me. Knowing it was a dog in hot pursuit, I got out of the saddle and sprinted up to 26 MPH and dropped him. We both got a good workout; however, never got a look at it.

No need to fear coyotes unless there have been local reports of aggression

Last edited by rsbob; 04-22-21 at 08:47 PM.
Likes For rsbob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.