Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Where do you ride and how does it affect bike choice?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 11:21 PM
Watchdog

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Blizzard (stolen), Haro Roscoe (sold), Giant TCX Rabobank, Cervelo RS, Rocky Mountain Altitude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old guy here who rode a lot of XC in the early 90s, rode a moderate amount in the mid 90s and not much in the late 90s and then I stopped. My son recently became very interested in mountain biking so here I find myself riding again. Once I started riding again, I couldn't believe how different the trails are now. Much more aggressive and technical than when I rode in the early 90s. Maybe the trails were always like that and I didn't know about them, but I don't think so.

I live near Burnaby Mountain so I ride there fairly often with my son. I don't recall the trails on this mountain being as technical back in the 90s. I never knew Mount Fromme existed until recently so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I had never been exposed to trails like that until recently. It's a lot of fun!

I noticed that Rocky Mountain has BC editions for their bikes that tend to feature more travel than their regular models. I take it that means they think you need more travel for BC trails?

I watched some videos on Trailforks of riding in other areas in North America and the trails do seem more XC oriented, but maybe that's just the couple of videos I watched.

In any event, I'm interested to hear what the riding is like where you live and how it affects your choice of bike.

I recently bought a bike so I could go riding with my son. I was going to get something that was more XC or light trail oriented because that's what I was familiar with. But thanks to the feedback I got on this forum I went for something more trail oriented and bought a Rocky Mountain Altitude Alloy 50. It's great fun and I'm glad people on this forum steered me towards more travel!
Old 09-17-18, 11:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
I lately traded down from a kind of burly bike with 150/130 travel to a HT with a 120 fork. There was no way I was going to use the potential of the bigger bike and I wanted to mount more standard accessories.
Old 09-18-18, 08:08 AM
Watchdog

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Blizzard (stolen), Haro Roscoe (sold), Giant TCX Rabobank, Cervelo RS, Rocky Mountain Altitude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darth, do you have any on-line videos of trails in your area? It doesn't have to be you riding, just curious to see what terrain you're riding with a HT and 120 fork.