Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Serotta Desirability?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Serotta Desirability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 04:31 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked 6,617 Times in 3,791 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
There's an Atlanta frameset out in the barn that I got from Robbie......forgot, we do not say his name, waiting for the right comps. Thinking Sachs Aris with brifters.

You can say Robbie’s name.

Old 04-18-24, 07:55 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 1,038 Posts
In the '80s, Serottas were more likely to have high quality paint than their Italian brethren. Some would say that American framebuilders in this era were more exacting than the Europeans - which is not surprising considering the US craft beer industry and similar European pursuits Americans really get into. So the overall quality and American geometry would be reason to go Serotta over Italian.

I also LOVE the fastback seat cluster they use, but Basso and others had similar.
Old 04-18-24, 10:58 PM
FrejusFlyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 74 Posts
I've had mine for 24 years and it's still a regular rider. Purists, avert your eyes from the non-quill stem.
Likes For FrejusFlyer:
Old 04-19-24, 05:22 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Do the vintage Serotta's have some unique qualities? I am talking about the mid 80's lugged ones made from Columbus SL/SLX.
I have an Early-80s Serotta Nova Special. It rides nicely, one of my favorite bikes for distance riding here in SEPA. The build quality is on-par with the best frames from Europe or Japan, possibly better.

The bikes are a bargain for sure.
Old 04-19-24, 06:17 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 450 Posts
I have fond memories of Ben visiting Walnut Hill Park during early spring training series crits in the 80s. He was an idol as well as Richard Sachs whose team was always there. I used to be friends with the owner of the financial investment group who fired Ben from his own company unfortunately. Key phrase "used to be".

I could not pass up on a Serotta if I found one I could afford.
Old 04-19-24, 08:43 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 290 Posts
I have an '85 Nova Special. Beautiful build quality. SL tubes, lotsa Ti stuff, DA7700, 17.8lbs, great ride. Can't even imagine selling it.
Old 04-19-24, 07:11 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 94 Posts
Purchased my Legend Ti from Dave Kirk shortly after he started his own shop and I've been having all kinds of fun with it since. Fantastic bikes, IMHO.
Likes For JoeBass:
Old 04-20-24, 09:30 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I always thought they were nice racing bikes. We had to be told it was pronounced "Sir-rah-tah," and not "Sir-roh-tah."
Never had a problem with how to say the name. Of course that back when I could walk into The Bike Shop and Ben would be behind the counter if he wasn’t upstairs building. He was also USCF district rep for Northern NY, so he would be at races.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 04-20-24, 06:26 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 372 Posts
A couple more:

1992 Serotta Colorado II Coors Light Team Replica

~1993 Serotta Colorado Legend Tri (650c)
Likes For Chuckk:
Old 04-20-24, 08:37 PM
NVFlinch 

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 43 Posts
Shameless first world people showing off their wealth! Well, OK, here's mine
Legend ST (Yep, I've swapped out the front tire, and adjusted the bars/seat - get over it...

'96 CSI, not sure, but may be my favorite bike. OK, I'm sure now.

2002 Concours, now sold
Likes For NVFlinch:
Old 04-20-24, 10:00 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by FrejusFlyer
Purists, avert your eyes from the non-quill stem.
... and the weird looking crank.
Old 04-20-24, 11:13 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
In the '80s, Serottas were more likely to have high quality paint than their Italian brethren. Some would say that American frame builders in this era were more exacting than the Europeans - which is not surprising considering the US craft beer industry and similar European pursuits Americans really get into. So the overall quality and American geometry would be reason to go Serotta over Italian.

I also LOVE the fastback seat cluster they use, but Basso and others had similar.
That is a good point. Serotta's were painted with Imron, which at the time was expensive, looked great and was durable. The build quality was excellent as well. The shame about Ben being a frame builder of only racing bikes is that racing bikes are tools. These bikes were more than just good geometry and excellent execution.

For me a Serotta, Cuevas, Richard Sachs or Chris Chance (I know there are others, this is my northeast sphere of knowledge) would be more desirable than an Italian racing bike. But that is what keeps this hobby interesting. The Italians have trophies, heritage and mystique.

I think it comes down to if you want to impress you friends get an Italian bike, if you are wanting a good race bike, get a Serotta. If you want a little more aesthetic appeal then get a Cuevas. If you want an investment get a Richard Sachs.

I bought a Serotta Club Special frame only for $355 in 1980 when working a co-op job in college. It was expensive for me, but a good value considering what was available and I knew someone that had a Serotta and was fitted by Ben prior to my purchase.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 04-21-24, 07:44 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 969 Posts
Serotta did do some touring frames, the pnwgopher has one, it is the ‘Rapid Tour’.

I have a Club Special track bike, this one is not my size. I use that one to hold the floor down, this was a parts purchase. No pictures of that one for now.

I’ll have my Colorado out for pictures soon.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-21-24, 05:06 PM
FrejusFlyer

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
... and the weird looking crank.
Plus, the low spoke count wheelset.
Old 04-22-24, 12:48 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 969 Posts
Birds of a feather flock together…

Subtle differences with the seatlug, the fork crown to.

Horizontal vs. vertical, the white has a Colorado shaped toptube that is pressed to the same thickness as the smaller diameter, the blue is an OS strait, and different bb shells as well.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-22-24, 01:52 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked 3,808 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Never had a problem with how to say the name. Of course that back when I could walk into The Bike Shop and Ben would be behind the counter if he wasn’t upstairs building. He was also USCF district rep for Northern NY, so he would be at races.
Ben's mom (Caroline Serotta) was my elementary school Art Teacher and the best one anyone ever had! She was a jeweler (taught Jewellery at Skidmore college) and she was the one who put a torch in Ben's hand. I remember Ben, behind the counter at The Bike Shop, or at the Farmer's Hardware/J.H. Mabbet & Co that his parents owned, just above The Bike Shop, on Broadway. I am currently eating my toast off a plate that was bought from the back of the Farmer's Hardware in 1979? Would love to get my hands on a Serotta from the early era, one that has "Saratoga" on the bike.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 04-22-24, 07:20 PM
pnwgopher

Bikes: Serotta Rapid Tour, 89 Paramount, AD Vent Noir, All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Serotta did do some touring frames, the pnwgopher has one, it is the ‘Rapid Tour’.

I have a Club Special track bike, this one is not my size. I use that one to hold the floor down, this was a parts purchase. No pictures of that one for now.

I’ll have my Colorado out for pictures soon.
Here's that rapid tour - it's exceptional and was ahead of its time. Fits 33s, and my lower back appreciates the head tube extension. Only way I'll ever sell it is if I find the same frame in titanium.
Likes For pnwgopher:
Old 04-22-24, 09:32 PM
PlymouthJLA
Planet Earth

Bikes: 1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports, 1970 Raleigh Super Course, 1994 Serrota Colorado Ti

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Since there are so many other folks sharing photos of their beautiful Serottas here, I'll throw mine into the mix: a 1994 Colorado Ti that was just finished being built up. I absolutely love this bike.

Likes For PlymouthJLA: