Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Old 05-27-20, 10:09 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,990 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I guess he hasn't posted on here for a while. I have chatted with him on FB on occasion, he runs a bike store down south of LA. I actually rode with him a few times years ago. He is a mountain goat.
Old 05-28-20, 08:26 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
10 years ago when the SoCal forum was an actual community and did group rides, he had that break up with his girlfriend (also a poster) and they both disappeared. I don't think that shattered the community as much as a few riders being upset they were dropped on a group ride and making a big deal about it. Oh and Mr Beanz attacking the mods.
Old 05-28-20, 09:31 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Oh man, I totally forgot about Beanz. It's been years.
Likes For himespau:
Old 05-28-20, 09:59 AM
big john

10 years ago when the SoCal forum was an actual community and did group rides, he had that break up with his girlfriend (also a poster) and they both disappeared. I don't think that shattered the community as much as a few riders being upset they were dropped on a group ride and making a big deal about it. Oh and Mr Beanz attacking the mods.
His gf got married and stopped doing group rides. She was cool, came to some group rides in my area. I think the last time I was on a ride with Vireo was a 10,000 foot century put on by a local club. The ride was timed and he battled with a skinny kid until the end. Of course, I heard about it later because I was near the back.

I actually saw Mr Beanz a few months back. I always got along with him and his wife. Sometimes she would make sandwiches and sag the rides in the mountains.
He got into an on-line spat with umd, you might remember that, and it seemed like it would blow up at a group ride at GMR where they were both going. Beanz is about 250# and umd was about 135, if that. Nothing happened, though, as umd floated away up the mountain.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-28-20, 10:08 AM
big john

I don't know if you saw it but a member here started his own forum, SoCal Bike Forum.com, I think. It lasted a couple years and picked up some advertising but eventually petered out. They sold jerseys and organized rides and a lot of rides were organized by a woman I know. Some of those rides had 50 or 60 riders. She had a presence here and on that forum and a certain guy and a couple of his idiot friends started stalking her, insulting her on the forum, calling her fat, etc. I couldn't understand it and even called the guy out but he kept on until she dropped out of sight.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-28-20, 10:18 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
All that was 10 years ago? We've all gotten old.

I've been on this site for 12 years almost, and I'm the newest member of this current page!
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 05-28-20, 11:04 AM
big john

Time flies.
Old 05-28-20, 12:25 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Young punk.
Likes For kensuf:
Old 05-28-20, 12:43 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 3,115 Times in 1,643 Posts
Old 05-28-20, 12:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

UMD (Steve) once called an ambulance for me when I was knocked out unconscious from a wipeout down Old San Marcos road. I was interning at the Materials Lab at UCSB during college. Wanted to show him my descending skills...

Now I don't like going over 35 MPH anymore - I ride the brakes. Too scared!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-28-20, 01:18 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by kensuf
Young punk.
I joined this site at 20, middle of college, starting to race bikes.

I'm now 31, almost 32, and have 2 kids and a wife and the world is ******g falling apart around me.

Side note, I kinda thought I was 30 still... WTF happened. I had to double check my math.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 05-28-20, 03:04 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by big john
I don't know if you saw it but a member here started his own forum, SoCal Bike Forum.com, I think. It lasted a couple years and picked up some advertising but eventually petered out. They sold jerseys and organized rides and a lot of rides were organized by a woman I know. Some of those rides had 50 or 60 riders. She had a presence here and on that forum and a certain guy and a couple of his idiot friends started stalking her, insulting her on the forum, calling her fat, etc. I couldn't understand it and even called the guy out but he kept on until she dropped out of sight.
I checked it out but it seemed so dead I really didn't bother.

Originally Posted by TMonk
UMD (Steve) once called an ambulance for me when I was knocked out unconscious from a wipeout down Old San Marcos road. I was interning at the Materials Lab at UCSB during college. Wanted to show him my descending skills...

Now I don't like going over 35 MPH anymore - I ride the brakes. Too scared!
UMD kind of got me into this because he was the one guy that would talk about racing in the SoCal Forum, and I didn't know something like it existed. Obviously I knew of the Tour, but I didn't think past centuries and triathlons there was anything for everyday joes. Of course after I found out I thought it was something I would never be at a level to do and didn't have balls to do it for 6 years.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-28-20, 03:47 PM
big john

I checked it out but it seemed so dead I really didn't bother.
Yeah it had it's run and just died out like the regional forum here did. There was a lot of crossover.

I think umd quit racing after he got hurt at San Dimas, same event where RacerEx crashed in the rain.

Did you ever see the video umd made in the training ride where he crashed and the Clif Bar he was carrying squirted out of it's wrapper and then there was silence as the wrapper blew away in the breeze? Mrs umd (kuf) sent the video to Clif Bar and they sent her a box of Clif Bars.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-28-20, 05:00 PM
furiousferret

Sounds vaguely familiar....
Old 05-29-20, 06:52 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Yeah it had it's run and just died out like the regional forum here did. There was a lot of crossover.

I think umd quit racing after he got hurt at San Dimas, same event where RacerEx crashed in the rain.

Did you ever see the video umd made in the training ride where he crashed and the Clif Bar he was carrying squirted out of it's wrapper and then there was silence as the wrapper blew away in the breeze? Mrs umd (kuf) sent the video to Clif Bar and they sent her a box of Clif Bars.
It was like a white dove in every Ang Lee film.
Likes For kensuf:
Old 05-29-20, 04:44 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Masters road worlds in Vancouver is cancelled. According to the Canadians, racing will not be resumed until their phase 4 which is a Covid vaccine widely available.

USAC has rescheduled elite track nationals and master road nationals to September with the proviso that it is safe to race. Okay guys, what is going to change between now and then? Is it safe to race now?
Old 05-29-20, 06:04 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Hermes
Masters road worlds in Vancouver is cancelled. According to the Canadians, racing will not be resumed until their phase 4 which is a Covid vaccine widely available.

USAC has rescheduled elite track nationals and master road nationals to September with the proviso that it is safe to race. Okay guys, what is going to change between now and then? Is it safe to race now?
2 week quarantines for anyone attending before and after?

Just non-mass start events?

I have no idea.
Old 05-29-20, 07:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Okay. I am getting my haircut tomorrow. Who needs racing.
Old 06-01-20, 08:39 AM
JLTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
We raced in Utah this past weekend. Non-USAC, but permitted by the county and insured through an independent company. COVID questionnaire and temperature checks at sign-in. Fields were limited to 30 and many filled quickly when registration opened. We've been more or less open here in Utah (never had an actual mandated shutdown anyway, always just suggestions) since May 1 and folks were anxious to race for sure. Racing does still live!
Likes For JLTD:
Old 06-01-20, 09:13 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTD
We raced in Utah this past weekend. Non-USAC, but permitted by the county and insured through an independent company. COVID questionnaire and temperature checks at sign-in. Fields were limited to 30 and many filled quickly when registration opened. We've been more or less open here in Utah (never had an actual mandated shutdown anyway, always just suggestions) since May 1 and folks were anxious to race for sure. Racing does still live!
When/Where is the next one?
Old 06-01-20, 09:17 AM
JLTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
When/Where is the next one?
Undetermined at the moment for road races, etc. The next one on the schedule isn't until August 1 at this point but several in limbo that are on hold and supposedly might go between now and then. Our weekly crit series has been doing "social distanced" TT's (ie, Strava) but rumor is real crits will start up within the next couple weeks. Mid-week MTB series is set to start racing this coming Wednesday.
Old 06-01-20, 09:24 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
BikeReg still has the Long Beach Crit open while it has been removed from USACycling.
I emailed the info address given and have not heard back. I expect it is canceled, but it is hard finding that information.
I expect they would take my money.
https://www.bikereg.com/cbr-06-07-20

EDIT/UPDATE

I called. Jeff told me USACycling is ON, but the LA County is OFF. They expect theri July race will be on and they expect to move/postpone most races.

Last edited by Doge; 06-01-20 at 03:24 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 06-02-20, 11:09 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
We start our club racing tonight with a 5 mile TT.

Its going to be terrible and im looking forward to it
Likes For Wylde06:
Old 06-04-20, 11:14 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Nice to drop in and see the old names. UMD had a post on facebook not too long ago that brought a lot of us out. He waxed slightly nostalgic about bikeforums. Fun stuff.

I remembered the whole girlfriend thing with Vireo. He posts on Facebook like 10 times a day, He posted a flashback photo not too long ago and she was in it and it reminded me. I couldn't for the life of me remember her name and let's just say she wasn't tagged in his photo I don't remember the details but I remember it being a topic of conversation on our group rides.

Racing: got some texts from Chad Hartley this morning. He is either president or vice president of Wisconsin's Local Association for USA Cycling. I am the president for Illinois's. He was asking how it was looking for us for having any racing at all for road this year. I told him I don't see it happening but we have taken the approach of wait and see. Our governor's plan would put racing in phase 5 which is vaccine or "no new cases for an extended period of time". If that doesn't change I don't see how it would even be possible to have the national cross championships we have scheduled in December.

Last LA call Hodge was saying that they are moving forward with permitting races. TT's, "Virtual events", and even a crit with a modified format. I personally don't want to be anywhere near putting on any of those events. Our officials average age is like 55 or some other ridiculously high age. They all have underlying health conditions and are in the highest risk group. I don't want a race I put on to be the reason a legend like Rich Weiss or Carl Wilkins get sick(er).

Chad said there is only one promoter in Wisconsin that is holding out hope for racing this year on the road. Everyone else has thrown in the towel. Our local holdout was the Intelligentsia Cup but even they cancelled the cup and Tour of America's Dairyland for this year (they say "postponed" ...until next year but I have a feeling that's more for legalize for sponsors that may have already sent them money).

Road is Dead. Shops are swamped. enjoy the summer and reconnect with the bike and the purpose.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-07-20, 09:12 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Road is usually mostly done in SCNA by now any way. By this time last year I had fulfilled my racing and volunteering requirements and was just doing weekly track racing. I do miss that however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.