Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon handlebar recall

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon handlebar recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 07:22 AM
Bholio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Dahon handlebar recall (the old 2008 recall)

I picked up a Dahon Mu P8 last year. According to the serial number it was built in May 2007. I've read about the handlebar recall, and am concerned it may apply to my bike, but I'm not sure. The recall mentions the 2008 handlebar, but I know that component selection, serial number stamping and other changes don't exactly coincide with January 1st of each calendar year.

My handlebar looks exactly like the ones affected by the recall, according to the brochure that I have seen. Unfortunately, the recall URL where I can input the serial number at Dahon no longer exists.

Does anyone know if the defective handlebar was installed on bikes with 2007 serial numbers?

Thanks
Old 06-24-18, 11:27 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Thor over at https://forums.mtbr.com/folding-travel-bikes/ would know.
Old 06-25-18, 03:20 AM
DahonAdmin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there, thanks for posting. We can take a look into this for you. Please can you send us the serial number of your bike so we can check this out? Thanks!
Old 06-26-18, 08:33 AM
Bholio

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hi. I got an answer from Thor on MTBR that my bike is not affected by the recall.
Old 06-28-18, 04:16 AM
DahonAdmin

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, that's great. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 04-29-20, 05:14 PM
JonJanis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon Recall

Originally Posted by DahonAdmin
Hi there, thanks for posting. We can take a look into this for you. Please can you send us the serial number of your bike so we can check this out? Thanks!
Hey there Dahon Admin, could you check into my serial number please to see if it is covered under recall?
D711705967
If so could you please provide info and instructions needed so I can know the next step?
THANKS!
Old 04-30-20, 03:36 PM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I had to replace the one on my 2008 dahon curve. I thought ok this shouldn’t cost much cause the handle post is free. My LBS charged me $25 +shipping + duty charges= $90....oh well...anybody want my old one?..🤨😳
Old 04-30-20, 04:01 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by drzdave58
I had to replace the one on my 2008 dahon curve. I thought ok this shouldn’t cost much cause the handle post is free. My LBS charged me $25 +shipping + duty charges= $90....oh well...anybody want my old one?..🤨😳
It's a recall handlebar stem,...why would anyone want something that could be dangerous???
Old 04-30-20, 06:55 PM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Lol..well of course I wouldn’t expect someone to use it on a bike but perhaps some of the parts on it are useful or make a lamp out of it or something else..one mans junk is another mans treasure...I’m sure there are many creative individuals out there who could find a use for it..🤨
Old 04-30-20, 07:12 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Lol..well of course I wouldn’t expect someone to use it on a bike but perhaps some of the parts on it are useful or make a lamp out of it or something else..one mans junk is another mans treasure...I’m sure there are many creative individuals out there who could find a use for it..🤨
Um,...no. This is a cycling forum. If you had mentioned repurposing it for a lamp, so be it. Otherwise it's an off to sell OR give away a potentially faulty handlepost.
Old 04-30-20, 08:30 PM
drzdave58

Dude...you totally misunderstood what I said...at no time did I say or suggest that someone should install this part on a bike and use it..and for you to imply that I was is ridiculous..all I said was “does anybody want it” which was intended more as an offhand sarcastic remark. You need to chill out, I think this Covid Virus crap is messing your head up.
Old 04-30-20, 08:41 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Dude...you totally misunderstood what I said...at no time did I say or suggest that someone should install this part on a bike and use it..and for you to imply that I was is ridiculous..all I said was “does anybody want it” which was intended more as an offhand sarcastic remark. You need to chill out, I think this Covid Virus crap is messing your head up.
And I think I was only having a discussion, and not being aggressive. Maybe you need a to be less grumpy, to clear your vision, and get you a better attitude. Have a great night.

Last edited by tds101; 05-01-20 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 06:32 AM
drzdave58

Mastic Beach New York Huh? That explains everything. You are right in the eye of the Covid 19 storm. It’s obvious you are under a lot of stress. I wish you luck in overcoming it.

Last edited by drzdave58; 05-01-20 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-01-20, 12:47 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Mastic Beach New York Huh? That explains everything. You are right in the eye of the Covid 19 storm. It’s obvious you are under a lot of stress. I wish you luck in overcoming it.
I'm fine,...and there's no "storm" to weather. I made a comment about how the post you made implied that you were either selling or giving away a possibly damaged stem. I mentioned that, since you later said it could be used to make a lamp or something, it's best to mention that right off. The reason is we're a world wide community, and I've seen people get confused from the simplest of posts. Yours is a prime example. I wasn't being obnoxious until you cast the first stone. Anyways, enjoy the poutine,...adios!!!
Old 05-01-20, 02:32 PM
drzdave58

Who ever said the stem was damaged?? It’s merely a part that is being recalled because of possible failure. Nobody here seems to be confused about it but YOU.
Old 05-01-20, 02:48 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Who ever said the stem was damaged?? It’s merely a part that is being recalled because of possible failure. Nobody here seems to be confused about it but YOU.
Recalled means it's likely to fail, causing injury. Apparently you're not able to comprehend that. That's the same as selling/gifting damaged goods. What don't you understand? You have to be kidding me.
Old 05-01-20, 03:52 PM
drzdave58

I comprehend things just fine thx. Likely to fail doesn’t mean it WILL fail. The truth is that part could last for years and perhaps never fail. My dahon is a 2008 so the bike had been used for about 12 years with a faulty handlepost. The real issue here is that you believe it is inappropriate for me to offer a part either to give away or sell that could be defective. Well I got news for you. I can offer anything for sale or free no matter what it’s issues are as long as I tell the person who wants the part what the issues are. What that person does with that part is their business. I’m not going to dictate or try to impose my opinion on what they do with it. Now I bought my dahon last year off a guy who didn’t tell me that the handle post had a recall on it. He probably didn’t even know there was a recall. I rode the bike for one month or so before I found out about the recall then I immediately ordered a new one and didn’t ride the bike. Now if that handlepost failed and I injured myself, who would be to blame?

Last edited by drzdave58; 05-01-20 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 06:28 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Old 05-02-20, 08:09 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Wow

Not to belabor the issue 1) for yeah, I am not sure what to do with the recalled stem that Dahon Graciously via Thor sent me for my Curve and
putting it where it could end up on another bike is very wrong. I took my take off and scored"Recalled"on it, to prevent future misuse even accidentally.
2) I never got an answer as to how they were failing, despite numerous inquiries. ? rotation, hinge ,casting clamps?
It has value in the prefight checklist, something always alluded to, but seldom reinforced and pursued.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 05-02-20 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-02-20, 10:20 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Here's my story. I had a deal going to purchase a Dahon Curve off of a respected member of Bike Forums awhile back. Upon inspection of the bike, before the deal went through, the seller spotted the damaged stem. We found out it was under recall, but would have to be purchased from ThorUSA. We agreed to still do the transaction, but minus (if I remember correctly) $90,...the cost of the new stem. I have the Dahon Curve still, with a new stem, and I even swapped colors (black!). Below are pictures of the defective stem from MY BIKE. Even if the stem wasn't broken I wouldn't have offered it for sale OR to be used in any other manner as I know it's under recall for a defect. I only still have it because I haven't discarded it.

And here's the bike with the replacement stem:

Last edited by tds101; 05-02-20 at 10:23 AM.
Likes For tds101:
Old 05-02-20, 02:41 PM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
Wow

2) I never got an answer as to how they were failing, despite numerous inquiries. ? rotation, hinge ,casting clamps?
It has value in the prefight checklist, something always alluded to, but seldom reinforced and pursued.
talking to the local dahon dealer, some recall stem were “over machined” on the clamping under cut (full inner turned diameter) leave little material and causing cracking.
the redesign involved a “half moon” milled undercut leaving extra material where required which reduces significantly the risk of cracking